Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Seperate partion (What size?)

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • No Page file

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

OPUS1

[H]ard|Gawd
I just put in 2 gigs of memory into my HP7000.
I do alot of cad and Photochop stuff (tiff files)
I've read that no page file, to run on a seperate partition (what size?), to let windows manage the page file size is best!
Even if you run no page file, windows will still set one up.
What to do?

I have a fixed size Page File, but only mostly for Photoshop, which bitches about not having a page file. I think mine is set to 256 MB static.

As for having it on another partition, that really only applies if that partition is on another hard drive. The idea is that the system can access the page file on the other drive while doing stuff on the Windows drive, increasing performance somewhat.

I too have 2GIG's of ram in my Dell D410. And as mentioned above, DO NOT put the page file on a seperate partition on the SAME drive. This will actually DEGRADE performance.

That being said, I have my pagefile set at 512mb.
since your running that much memory, a wise option would be to set windows not to cache paging of kernel and core-os.

this way it forces most windows services and functions into RAM instead of the pagefile on your disk. Don't worry, with the amount of memory it eats.. it MORE than makes up for in better performance.

I have about 7 second XP boot times. (not entirely due to my options above, but they do help)

Gonna bump once for those that don't get past the front page.
Thanks
Happy New Year all ;)

Back