Painting PC Case - Couple of Questions

V99

Gawd
I'm in the process of buying the all products I need to paint my PC case.

My Case:
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030646506&postcount=20

My Motivation:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030686058&postcount=11

I will most likely following this guide:
http://case-mods.linear1.org/case-mod-101-how-to-paint-your-computer-case-part-1/1/

I know what to buy and I've painted before using Spray Paint...But I need to get perfection for all of this, Questions:

1. My Case has Metal for body, and plastic as the front. Can I use the same Primer, Paint and Clearcoat for both plastic and metal?

2. I will also be painting inside my case, will I need to do a perfect job of Wet and Dry Sandpapering inside my case? As it looks a lot harder than sanding the panels, top, bottom etc.

Have any tips? Tricks? Suggestions?

Cheers.

Main thing you will have to do is be patient.

Put a thin layer (paint&primer) on about every 30mins.

At the end of the primer painting wet and dry sand it.

Pick up some 3M rubbing compound at wal-mart for about $4, use it when you are completely done.

You can use the same primer and paint for all.

Main thing is to take your time.

Inside of the case....most people just paint it black. But if you want it the same color as the exterior, pretty much repeat the same process.

Sanding it the say 1000, and 2000 grit sand paper will give you the mirroe finish.

Sorry for not being in order, kinda typed them as i though of them.

If you need more help jst ask.

Tyler

Depends on how much time you want to spend on this, honestly I would recommend fully dismantling your case. Drilling out the rivets holding the chassis together which will give you the ability to ensure full coverage and lead to a more ‘professional’ look.

I’ve got a very similar case and at this point I’ve only got the inside painted, (life interrupted the completion of the case,) but I’m please with the way it’s come out thus far. If you decide to pull the rivets be very careful putting them back in if you have a manual rivet gun, it tends to hop when it breaks the pin out of the center which can cause scratching of what you just finished painting.

If u want a PERFECT painting job either inside or outside the case u need to dismount it and paint all the parts individually.
Some ppl like to primer some dont. Aluminum you should always use primer, on non-aluminum (iron\plastic etc) it really depends on the paint.
There LOADS of painting guides in the net, but if u follow any of them remember just one thing, paint in a DIRT\DUST free enviorment bc it can really ruin your paint job and always do 4/5 coats of paint with 1 day or 12 hours intervals depends on the paint rly.

PS: sry about my english

Coming from my personal experience of just painting my case the #1 thing to remember is BE PATIENT. It takes time to do a good job on a case. First thing to do is disassemble your case, it makes painting alot easier and prevents overspray or paint runnin on your case. Next get 400, 1000, 1500 grit sandpaper and start with the roughest(400). Sand everything (metal, plastic). Move up to finer and finer grit sandpaper as you go until everything is nice and smooth. After your done sanding wash all your pieces with warm water and any common dish soap to get rid of all the dust/grease/oils from the comp parts. Then use a self adhesive primer, this creates a good bond between the paint and metal/plastics making it less likely to peal or bubble. After 1-2 coats of primer sand it down again id say with a 1500 grit sandpaper. This makes the primer adhear to the gloss your probably going to put on next alot better. Then pretty much its up to you what ya do from there for paint. Some people like to just put some gloss coats on there cases, others like to go farther and use a clear coat as a finisher, its totally up to you. After its all done let it dry for atleast a few days before buffing or polishing it because even though it might feel dry its not, rub hard enough and youll see the paint on your fingers. GOOD LUCK MAN, the payoff for all this work is well worth it.

Cheers for your help guys, yeah I totally understand that this is going to take a long time from start to finish. I will be fully disassembling my case. And I'll be sure to pick up some rubbing compound as it seems to be the trick for the final perfect finish :)

As a painter the first response from Tyler is correct: patience! Thin coats each time... and your motions with spraying should be quick in movement.

Dismantle the case. Set the pieces in a dust free area, you could put them on cardboard. I usually string the light pieces up so they are floating thus easier to spray all the nooks an crannies. Also go in left to right or up in down movements, that are constant and fluid. Spray only when your going left to right also, you don't need to spray when your in the middle of changing directions.

Make sure to dry it in a non windy area.

You should really wear a mask too with the paint you should be using, wear it at all times while spraying because it will stick to your lounges and its not water based so it wont wash off with water. Also it will give your a buzz... wear a mask, safety first, i stress that.

I would give the paint a day to cure before you start using it also. It takes much longer to cure but for light usage it will be ok.

Back