Palit redesigned HD 4850 (looks small!)

shraz

Limp Gawd
http://www.palit.biz/main/vgapro.php?id=919

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814261027

30981_l.jpg

Wow, that's pretty cool. No voltage regulator sinks though huh.
Check out Palit's website they also list a 4850 with a two slot cooler and an 8 pin power connector.

I like the idea of the manufacturers making these cards a little bit shorter. IMO they were starting to get entirely too long. I like power but I also like efficiency in terms of cooling and size. If anyone has this card could you chime in on how well the cooling system works.

Its probably very similar to the stock single slot. Personally I would take the stock cooler over that junky POS heatsink.

The heatsink is a POS, I have the same one on my Palit 3850. It's too loud for how well it cools. (50 idle, 65 load, but way too loud)
When the GPU is idle, the cooler sounds just a bit quieter than my old X1950GT did at load. And when the cooler is at load, I can hear it from 13 feet away.

Thanks for the clarification guys. I wonder if you could put an aftermarket heat sink on this thing, or would the Palit heat sink mounting location make this not possible.

If you are not going to O/C, a Artic Cooler S1 will work passively. Hell my 4850 runs at 475/1075 on a S1 passive. Load temps are around 60-70C depending on what game and ambient. Just get one with the original design. Its very solid, but a bit long.

I have the XpertVision 9600GT with this cooler. It runs at 100% (loud) until the nVidia drivers kick in then at 35% all the time - near silent. Keeps the card at 35-40C under any load - I've never been able to heat up the card enough for it to go above 35% fan speed. I've got personal experience with 4 of these cards and they've all been brilliant.

Maybe the ATI drivers (at least with default fan settings) don't work so well for it? It's the only reason I can think of that would explain the comments above. I've been recommending people buy the XpertVision HD3850 512MB with the same cooler as the best value-for-money at the moment (AU$99 at IT Estate) but I haven't actually tried one myself.

its looks like crap to me, like something that came out of an "aftermarket" pentium 3 machine............

Back