Panasonic 37" Inch IPS-Panel 1080p LCD ($449 shipped, no tax) /// Also 32" for $409

The 2010 Pannys are not as good as the 09s or the LD450 in terms of input lag or PC use. But in terms of overall picture quality it blows the LG away, and is a little better then the 09 Pannys.

So for PC use the 09 Pannys and the LD450 would rank about a 10.
For PQ, the 09 Pannys would be about 8, the 10 Pannys about 9, and the LD450 about 5.

To me the drastic PQ difference is more then enough to sacrafice 4:4:4 and .5 frame delay. At the very most you are looking at 2 frames on the U22s, which no one would ever never notice anyway. The text could be better yes, but its still better then most, and more then usable daily.

Ive compaired the Sammy C550, LD350/400/450, Panny U22/C22s, and the Insignia equivelent. The Sammy had the best picture quality, but not that far ahead of the Pannys. The Insignia came after the Pannys but still ahead of the LG.

Ive had a lot of expeirance setting up TVs (not with proffesional equipment, but still use lagom and different free stuff thats around) and there is nothing at all I can do to the LG to give a picture thats close to good. I got it cheap, and gave it to my GF for 360 use, so I dont care really. But if it were for me, Id never get it.

I am surprised the Insig faired so well in your tests... I was looking at that cheaper one as well and decided not to because of the brand name and PQ obviously :p The Panasonic seemed so much more for about the same price since you'd have to pay taxes and such at Worst Buy

sadly none of these fair as well as a monitor --- which is why Dell can still command $1050 on sale for a 30" monitor. That's bull. This TV tech shouldn't be that much behind the monitor technology in 2010 and now 2011!

To you maybe, you picky display nazi :p

Lots of people like these as their monitor, I've read like 1000 reviews this week on most of the 32" 1080p tvs and the 3 I mentioned surely are decent monitor/TV combos. I liked the Panasonic the best obviously but I was surprised so many liking their Insig as a monitor... very surprising. Don't those Insigs get made by LG? I noticed it had 450 in the model number so its identical to the LG LD450, I take it?

sadly none of these fair as well as a monitor --- which is why Dell can still command $1050 on sale for a 30" monitor. That's bull. This TV tech shouldn't be that much behind the monitor technology in 2010 and now 2011!
The capability is there i bet, but the manufacturers aren't tweaking them for monitor use imho. It would add another layer of support/complexity/liability that they probably can't be bothered with (it would cost them time and money).

The VGA port on most TV's may be an example of what i'm talking about. Look at how many manufacturers are only allowing 1280x1024 max.

I am surprised the Insig faired so well in your tests... I was looking at that cheaper one as well and decided not to because of the brand name and PQ obviously :p The Panasonic seemed so much more for about the same price since you'd have to pay taxes and such at Worst Buy
Another dark horse candidate, the RCA 40LA45RQ which passed the 4:4:4 subsampling test and has less smearing (VA panel?) look for the results at the bottom of this post. The 40" can often be had for well under $500 on sale or with coupons at Sears and Kmart.

very surprising. Don't those Insigs get made by LG? I noticed it had 450 in the model number so its identical to the LG LD450, I take it?
It does make sense but I wouldn't assume it without confirmation, Insignia has used TV's from at least three different manufacturers in the past couple of years, both their LCD's and plasmas. A good thing since it wouldn't be pure junk but the feature set is often watered down. The bundled remote sometimes gives away the manufacturer.

Last edited:
Some Insignias use LG panels, and some use Samsung. Others probably use other panels as well. Just depends on the model.

The problem with the LG is the very sub-par contrast. And when you mess with gamma and black level you have the option of a nicer looking picture with really crushed blacks so you cant see anything in a dark area, or an extremely dull, very flat looking picture that shows you whats in the dark areas.

A lot of the people that like the LG are people that dont have other HDTVs next to it to compair, or its their first one and havent seen what one should look like.

I'm sorry but people are just way too picky. My crappy hanns g 28 inch is great for use (to me) and it cost 300$

I'm sorry but people are just way too picky. My crappy hanns g 28 inch is great for use (to me) and it cost 300$

yes but a 30" monitor is 2560x1600, or about 1.8 times as many pixels as your screen. apples and oranges.

Looks like 2011 models are out. The only difference I see is 120Hz being added to this model for 2011.

http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wc...1021513265&surfModel=Content01052011021513265
The U30 series features one 1080p model – the TC-L42U30, a 42-inch class (41.6’ measured diagonally). Featuring an IPS Panel; three HDMI connectors; a PC Input; VIERA Link and VIERA Image Viewer, the TC-L42U30 introduces 120Hz with Motion Picture Pro 4 to the LCD line. The TC-L42U30 will be available in January 2011, with pricing to be announced.

The E3s are replacing the U22s. The E30 replaces the U25. So they will still be selling 60Hz (thank god, 120Hz is the worst thing done to TVs that I can think of).

Yeah I've heard lots of complains about 120, especially for use as a monitor ESPECIALLY. 60hz seems to be the bees knees for most people

Yeah I've heard lots of complains about 120, especially for use as a monitor ESPECIALLY. 60hz seems to be the bees knees for most people

Even my mom, who watches soap operas, and is half blind, couldnt stand a Vizio that we got cause you couldnt disable the 120Hz on it. So I took it back and got a "lower" end model that was 60Hz, but has better contrast and looks better :)

Would you choose one of these Panny's over an LG450, if the price were equal? Also, would you get a 32" or 37" for a ~3-foot viewing distance? (The $50 difference is not a factor to me)

I'm using a 37 Westinghouse and think it's a near perfect resolution. I'm glad I bought the thing everytime I sit down in front of it and it's now about seven years old.

Same. I think it's big for certain games though. Call of duty Black Ops for example, I can't see dude in the corners well.

My next screen will be the Samsung 27" LED in a few months.

Would you choose one of these Panny's over an LG450, if the price were equal? Also, would you get a 32" or 37" for a ~3-foot viewing distance? (The $50 difference is not a factor to me)

That depends on what you want out of it. If you want a better PQ then go with the Panny, if you want better colored text and half a frame of less input lag, get the LG. But remember that the LG is a panel lottery, so you dont know what panel you are going to get unless you buy it in person. All the Pannys are the same.

The panasonic is worlds better looking than the 32LE5300 with an MA panel which is a couple steps up from your lg450 you are questioning. The panasonic has really good looks and just decent text.

I'm really tempted to snag this Panny. Anyone know how it compares to an LED set like the Vizio E320VP 32" LED HDTV? I'd use either strictly as a TV.

I'm really tempted to snag this Panny. Anyone know how it compares to an LED set like the Vizio E320VP 32" LED HDTV? I'd use either strictly as a TV.

Most Vizios are LG panels, so that one is likely the same as the LG LED. The Panny would wipe the floor with it.

After doing quite a bit of research today, I ended up buying the LG 32LD450 over the Panasonic. I will be using this monitor mostly for forum/text browsing and gaming, where the low input lag and text sharpness (thanks to 4:4:4) of the LG outweighed the better contrast found in the Panasonics. Having said that, I'm still not sure if I made the best choice, and encourage others to do their own research before buying!

FYI, the LG is now $379 w/ free shipping from Amazon - just a heads-up.

the 32 LD450 is now 369.99 @ buydig.com for those still searching (Code 32LD450)

just make sure you have the W in the product code, and thats a pretty good buy

the 32 LD450 is now 369.99 @ buydig.com for those still searching (Code 32LD450)

just make sure you have the W in the product code, and thats a pretty good buy
$369 shipped, lowest i've seen yet, very nice. That coupon code is still working btw.

I wonder if they're willing to work with customers inquiring about IPS panels and confirming the "W" on the box prior to shipping.

the 32" is $21 cheaper... $388 shipped
And at that price it's practically a no brainer.

I wonder if this is liquidation time for the LG LD450 and U22 series Panasonics? It sure seems like it.

$369 shipped, lowest i've seen yet, very nice. That coupon code is still working btw.

I wonder if they're willing to work with customers inquiring about IPS panels and confirming the "W" on the box prior to shipping.

And at that price it's practically a no brainer.

I wonder if this is liquidation time for the LG LD450 and U22 series Panasonics? It sure seems like it.

Yes, it sure does seem like a liquidation. Is there supposed to be a new line coming out from say, CES 2011? I bet there will be something coming out Q2 2011. I read somewhere there is a new type of panel coming out... true?

Yes, it sure does seem like a liquidation. Is there supposed to be a new line coming out from say, CES 2011? I bet there will be something coming out Q2 2011. I read somewhere there is a new type of panel coming out... true?
There's def a new line coming out soon, but i don't know the details. I imagine their 2011 plasmas would get more coverage and attention, but i'm sure some 2011 LCD info will eventually filter out to us.

I'm not getting my hopes up, but a new, or even an improved Panny LCD panel would be nice.

Last edited:
I just got the shipping notice for my 32" Panny TC-L32U22 from Amazon. Should be here by Thursday. :D

The details on the 2011 line are in one of the previous pages. Not much differnece accept more HDMI inputs, and slightly better contrast ratio. Have to wait for them to come out before knowing the responce time and setting adjustments.

The details on the 2011 line are in one of the previous pages. Not much differnece accept more HDMI inputs, and slightly better contrast ratio. Have to wait for them to come out before knowing the responce time and setting adjustments.
Too bad they didn't roll out a full array LED backlight with local dimming behind an IPS panel, and make it affordable to boot. If they made it in a 32" size then this entire forum would purchase it :).

LG has already proved that combo to be superior (local dimming + IPS = LH90 series).

Hey a person can dream right?

I just got the shipping notice for my 32" Panny TC-L32U22 from Amazon. Should be here by Thursday. :D
Def let us know what you think of it, still loving my 2009 model: L32S1

Amazon's price for the 32" is down to $369 w/free shipping. They credited my card for the difference. :D

I wish I could find videos/ pictures of these tvs in use as pc monitors.

Your wish has been granted ;)

Not sure how helpful this is though, photobucket killed the quality. Shot at 720P with my Epic.

Last edited:
How does this monitor compare to the LG one?

I can't decide which one to get...

How does this monitor compare to the LG one?

I can't decide which one to get...

Thats been discused throught the thread. This for 9/10 PQ and 8/10 PC use, the LG for ~6/10 PQ and 10/10 PC use.

cecil has it about right.

The LG 32le5300 which is supposed to be better PQ than the 32ld450 I was able to compare against the 37 inch model of this u22 panasonic. The panasonic looked much better on bluray's! But I didn't really think the 32le5300 looked that great on PC mode and also it had some lag. I don't have the 32ld450 exp. yet, but if I see it for about $350 in an IPS --- I'll proably pick it up to try it.

Thats been discused throught the thread. This for 9/10 PQ and 8/10 PC use, the LG for ~6/10 PQ and 10/10 PC use.

in terms of input lag, which one is better?

this is what I want to know now before I pull the trigger. :D

in terms of input lag, which one is better?

this is what I want to know now before I pull the trigger. :D

Honestly, there is almost no difference. The LD450 averages half a frame faster. But you are sacraficing shadow quality.

My GF uses it to play 360, and on black ops there are times we can look at the same thing, and Ill see way more detail on the Panny or my Samsung then on the LG. So if someone is in a dark area of the screen on the LG, you can barely see him if you see him at all. Unless you really brighten it up and set the gamma and black levels way too bright, at which point the picture looks really foggy.

The LD450 input lag is about 0-1.5 frames, the Panny is 0-2 frames. My Samsung is about 5-6 frames, and I barely tell any difference between that and the Panny.

Honestly, there is almost no difference. The LD450 averages half a frame faster. But you are sacraficing shadow quality.

My GF uses it to play 360, and on black ops there are times we can look at the same thing, and Ill see way more detail on the Panny or my Samsung then on the LG. So if someone is in a dark area of the screen on the LG, you can barely see him if you see him at all. Unless you really brighten it up and set the gamma and black levels way too bright, at which point the picture looks really foggy.

The LD450 input lag is about 0-1.5 frames, the Panny is 0-2 frames. My Samsung is about 5-6 frames, and I barely tell any difference between that and the Panny.

Thx for the info...

I guess I will join the Panny train... :D

Thx for the info...

I guess I will join the Panny train... :D

I think you ought to give strong consideration to the Toshiba 32e200u. I really like it quite well as a monitor, having compared it favorably to this panasonic and the LG 32le5300 for the purpose of a monitor.

The 32e200u has less input lag in my subjective "feel" opinion than either the panasonic or LG as tested in several first person shooters on my own PC. I've not yet tested the LG 32ld450 --- but the guys complaining about bad blacks and such aren't doing it any favors. The toshiba has nice deep blacks.

I think you ought to give strong consideration to the Toshiba 32e200u. I really like it quite well as a monitor, having compared it favorably to this panasonic and the LG 32le5300 for the purpose of a monitor.

The 32e200u has less input lag in my subjective "feel" opinion than either the panasonic or LG as tested in several first person shooters on my own PC. I've not yet tested the LG 32ld450 --- but the guys complaining about bad blacks and such aren't doing it any favors. The toshiba has nice deep blacks.

I cant coment on new Toshibas, but the 32RV530U blows the LG away, and in some cases looks better then the Panny as well. But, the 530U has noticable ghosting when used as a monitor, and 1-3 average frame delay is quick, just not as quick.

cecil - absolutely no ghosting on this toshiba 32e200u. I played several different twitch FPS and could detect no input lag, no ghosting and no detrimental effects. It is a very nice PC gaming monitor! I think the panasonic line in this thread looks better on bluray movies through the PS3 however. But the toshiba wins the monitor award hands down in my experience.

Back