Panasonic VIERA TC-P50S2 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV - $749 shipped!

ScratchDrive

Limp Gawd
Panasonic VIERA TC-P50S2 50-Inch 1080p Plasma HDTV - On sale, $749 Shipped!

"This item qualifies for the TV Low Price Guarantee, Free Shipping, and Free 30 Day TV Returns."

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...rds=B0036VO7WM&url=search-alias%3Delectronics

* 50-inch Plasma HDTV with full 1080p HD resolution; 1080 lines of moving picture resolution
* 600Hz Sub-field Drive technology for superb full-HD motion; 2,000,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
* VIERA Image Viewer for JPEG image slideshows directly from an SD memory card
* Inputs: 3 HDMI, 2 component, 2 composite, 1 digital audio output
* Includes removable stand; measures 48 x 32.2 x 14.1 inches with stand

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Hmm.. I may bite. I really like samsung but gl finding a deal on one. Gonna run to best buy/costco real fast and see what they got. :D

damn thats a great deal. when i bought my 42" panny it cost almost double. actually, looking back on it now, it was a grand. this is still a slammin deal.

Last edited:
I picked up the TC-P42S2 right after BF for $499. Excellent set. While I can't vouch for the quality of the 50in set firsthand, its probably safe to assume that all the S2 models are solid.

I bought this set over the summer from a friend for 500 bux. It's a great set. Don't hesitate. 50" is a great upgrade even if you have a 42"

This is a fantastic TV, especially at this price.

I have the S1 (last years model) and it is phenomenal.

I picked up the TC-P42S2 right after BF for $499. Excellent set. While I can't vouch for the quality of the 50in set firsthand, its probably safe to assume that all the S2 models are solid.

SON OF A B*TCH. Where?

I payed 599 for mine =/

It was $670+ tax at Panasonic direct with EPP.

However, these expeirance the loss in black level over time just like the 2009 sets. I had gotten the 42in for $495 but took it back because of that.

It was $670+ tax at Panasonic direct with EPP.

However, these expeirance the loss in black level over time just like the 2009 sets. I had gotten the 42in for $495 but took it back because of that.
Yea, the black levels raise up to the point of Samsung plasma sets, after 2000 hours for the 2010 models.

Sure it can be considered a minus, but it's not that bad if you ask me since most shades of black will still appear black to the naked eye.

Not knocking the Samsung plasmas btw, they're supposedly great sets in their own right.

is it just me or is this dead? amazon doesnt look like theyre listed anymore or something on the product page

Better hurry if you're on the fence man, it says there's 10 left now :eek:

10leftttttttttttt.png

SON OF A B*TCH. Where?

I payed 599 for mine =/

A thread over at SD pointed me to some Corporate Savings website that had a link/group code to get an extra discount directly from Panasonic. A quick "sign up", toss them a temporary e-mail address, get the link, ignore forever and 7 days later enjoy Plasma TV.

To be entirely honest, by that point I was no longer reading things thoroughly. The BF spending madness had to stop and it did with an exclamation point.

still not good enough considering i walked into my local HHGregg and walked out with a brand new LG 55" LCD HDTV about 6+ months ago for $1000 out the door and its a superior TV as well, they were $1699 new at the time....like my last TV purchase, a Toshiba 46" RP 1080i HDTV years ago that was $1800 and was delivered to my doorstep for $1100 tax and delivery included...i always do these in person with salesmen and come out looking good

Hmm.. I may bite. I really like samsung but gl finding a deal on one. Gonna run to best buy/costco real fast and see what they got. :D

As far as plasma is concerned panasonic is better and this is one of their best panels in a TV the only downfall is the added electronic junk missing. But the picture is a beast on these. I would consider this a better deal even if it was more expensive than a samsung.

still not good enough considering i walked into my local HHGregg and walked out with a brand new LG 55" LCD HDTV about 6+ months ago for $1000 out the door and its a superior TV as well, they were $1699 new at the time....like my last TV purchase, a Toshiba 46" RP 1080i HDTV years ago that was $1800 and was delivered to my doorstep for $1100 tax and delivery included...i always do these in person with salesmen and come out looking good

I have never seen any LCD PERIOD that can top the upper end panasonic plasma panels. Plus for 1100 you could get the 58" S1 around black friday.

As far as plasma is concerned panasonic is better and this is one of their best panels in a TV the only downfall is the added electronic junk missing. But the picture is a beast on these. I would consider this a better deal even if it was more expensive than a samsung.

I ended up going with a 46" samsung lcd ln46c670 which I think is the best buy version of the ln46c650. Decided to go with lcd on account of the glare and console gaming. Pretty happy with it so far, the colors are magnificent.

Yea, the black levels raise up to the point of Samsung plasma sets, after 2000 hours for the 2010 models.

Sure it can be considered a minus, but it's not that bad if you ask me since most shades of black will still appear black to the naked eye.

Not knocking the Samsung plasmas btw, they're supposedly great sets in their own right.

Not sure where you've been looking, but it only takes 500 hours for black levels to start dropping. Considering it takes about 200 hours for a decent break in, your almost half way there by the time you can start to enjoy it.

Plus, the pixel crawl is awful. Its a fabulous picture, no doubt, but pixel crawl is very noticeable. Plus it lacks the ability to adjust colors individually.

I love Panasonics, so Im not knocking it. For most its a great TV, but only for those looking for a good TV for movies in a dark room and sit far enough back to not be bothered by the pixel crawl.

Also, here is the 58in for $990,
http://dealnews.com/Panasonic-VIERA-58-1080-p-Plasma-HDTV-for-990-free-shipping/417195.html

I bought this same model TV during a little before Black Friday for $800 inc tax/ship and it is just beautiful to watch with.

If anyone from this thread does buy this TV, check out this thread on avs forum for a guide to break-in and calibrate it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1232441

After using the slides for 100 hours (I get conflicting reports whether you should do this or not, but better safe than sorry) and using the listed calibration settings, I get excellent picture quality.

Also, burn in / IR fear is OVERBLOWN for plasmas now. I've watched the same channel for hours on end with the logo on the same spot, paused my 360 / ps3 without turning off the screen for 30-60 mins multiple times, played games with HUDs for hours on end. And I have never even seen anything that remotely looks like a burned in image. I don't even know what a burned in image looks like because this is my first plasma and this TV has never suffered from it.

I'm sure you can still get IR / burned image on plasmas now if you really try hard, but this TV and many plasmas now have better tech to prevent it, tools and features to remove it, and automatic safeguards that dim/disable the screen if left idling for too long. Just treat this TV like any other with a little extra caution and you'll have no problems.

I wanted to get this tv for xmas but it would not ship in time. Walmart also has this TV for the same price online, went down to best buy and asked them to price match walmart and they did. Walked out with it from Best buy for this price.

I wanted to get this tv for xmas but it would not ship in time. Walmart also has this TV for the same price online, went down to best buy and asked them to price match walmart and they did. Walked out with it from Best buy for this price.

which was my point.......you can get the same kind of deals or better in store if you even try....but if you are a "sticker shopper" you wont get it

i think some people are eager to snatch what looks like a good deal online because they dont have the ability to tell a salesman what they really want

what sucks is if you buy the TV online and have to deal with returns.......that's when the brick and mortar purchase has even more advantages, for instance, that 55" LCD i got for a steal at HHGregg.....after two days it would power cycle about every 5th time you powered it on, it would flash and go back off......it got progressively worse, called up the salesman, he says "no problem bring it by we will give you a new one"

just like that, an hour or so later im unboxing a new tv.......

you cant do that with amazon and it does happen

which was my point.......you can get the same kind of deals or better in store if you even try....but if you are a "sticker shopper" you wont get it

i think some people are eager to snatch what looks like a good deal online because they dont have the ability to tell a salesman what they really want

what sucks is if you buy the TV online and have to deal with returns.......that's when the brick and mortar purchase has even more advantages, for instance, that 55" LCD i got for a steal at HHGregg.....after two days it would power cycle about every 5th time you powered it on, it would flash and go back off......it got progressively worse, called up the salesman, he says "no problem bring it by we will give you a new one"

just like that, an hour or so later im unboxing a new tv.......

you cant do that with amazon and it does happen

It's true that dealing with exchanges and returns at b&m stores is much easier than online... but for those of us in CA, deals like this one on Amazon are worth it. Between state tax, local tax, and the CA recycling tax I'd have to tack on an extra $100 for the exact same product.

what sucks is if you buy the TV online and have to deal with returns.......
Funny you should mention that....

I bought this same TV 30 days ago from Amazon (799.00) and it came with a hole in the screen.

Amazon said they wouldn't be getting any more of that model so I bought the 58" for $1099.00

Watch your tracking on the Amazon site. It will alert you if the delivery company can't get contact you for delivery.

Hopefully nobody else will get a TV with the optional hole in the screen. :D

i dunno, it's worth the $100 to me....i actually look forward to it about every 5 years or so when we replace the TV. we set aside a whole day for comparison shopping and haggling. we have a BestBuy, (had a Circuit City), HHGregg, Sears all in walking distance across the street from each other here and i make my rounds and then come around again once i am informed and start making ridiculous offers on overpriced TV's....and eventually one of them caves.

when i got the 46" down to $1100 from $1800 i was told that on most TV's there's at least 400-500 in clear and free net markup thats just pure profits for the store. that for every one guy like me who gets it for $1100, there will be 10 other "sticker shoppers" who pay the $1800 as if it's non-negotiable. so they dont really lose anything at all, but they do gain loyalty, as now i go back to HHGregg every time and since then they make me deals i cant beat

all of this is fun and educational, i wouldn't give that up for saving $100 and getting it shipped to me

I think it's pretty common knowledge that Panasonic Plasma's are the better TVs out there. Especially the VIERA series from Panasonic. They win display awards and THX certifications all the time. One brand of LCD finally got a THX rating this year, and I think it had to do with LED parts being in it.

And the deal is $915+ shipped now, check it

Also, burn in / IR fear is OVERBLOWN for plasmas now. I've watched the same channel for hours on end with the logo on the same spot, paused my 360 / ps3 without turning off the screen for 30-60 mins multiple times, played games with HUDs for hours on end. And I have never even seen anything that remotely looks like a burned in image. I don't even know what a burned in image looks like because this is my first plasma and this TV has never suffered from it.

I'm sure you can still get IR / burned image on plasmas now if you really try hard, but this TV and many plasmas now have better tech to prevent it, tools and features to remove it, and automatic safeguards that dim/disable the screen if left idling for too long. Just treat this TV like any other with a little extra caution and you'll have no problems.
Thats not really true. It depends on the brand. The LG plasmas have REALLY bad IR today. I just went through getting my mom a TV and tried an LG plasma, a Panasonic S2, and two Vizio LCDs. The Panasonic did not have any IR from normal viewing, but the LG did really bad.
She ended up with the LCD though cause its in the living room with open curtains. Plus it was $100 cheaper.
I think it's pretty common knowledge that Panasonic Plasma's are the better TVs out there. Especially the VIERA series from Panasonic. They win display awards and THX certifications all the time. One brand of LCD finally got a THX rating this year, and I think it had to do with LED parts being in it.

And the deal is $915+ shipped now, check it

THX certified doesnt mean anything other then the company that makes that product paid them enough to get there sticker on it.

Also, the VIERA is the only line of TVs Panasonic has today.

Some Panasonic's don't display VIERA... I thought that was their "top of the line" tier series? Like how Sharp has AQUOS series you know? Correct me if I am wrong please, but the THX certification is a better than normal standard for video and audio especially.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showpost.php?p=12210516&postcount=6
Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i had thought that THX on a TV meant it had a preset/setting which was at least halfway calibrated for movie watching, if so then it's just another feature but a decent bonus from some.

The Panasonic did not have any IR from normal viewing, but the LG did really bad.
The 2010 LG 50PK550 i have has extremely mild IR, i almost never see it, even at varied viewing distances. I have great eyesight too by the way. Not sure if my settings have anything to do with it?

Going by online testimony, my perception is that LG's 720P plasmas and their 2009 plasmas have more IR.

Last edited:
I bought a new 50" plasma yesterday at ABC warehouse. (MI Store Chain)

Got a LG 50PK750 (Netcast included)
Plus ANWL100W (Wireless set top box)

All for 999... Heluva deal...

I bought a new 50" plasma yesterday at ABC warehouse. (MI Store Chain)

Got a LG 50PK750 (Netcast included)
Plus ANWL100W (Wireless set top box)

All for 999... Heluva deal...

Sweet deal, LGs aren't bad at all

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i had thought that THX on a TV meant it had a preset/setting which was at least halfway calibrated for movie watching, if so then it's just another feature but a decent bonus from some.

The 2010 LG 50PK550 i have has extremely mild IR, i almost never see it, even at varied viewing distances. I have great eyesight too by the way. Not sure if my settings have anything to do with it?

Going by online testimony, my perception is that LG's 720P plasmas and their 2009 plasmas have more IR.

Thier higher end ones may not, but their PJ250/350 ones do.

Its probably the same with all Plasma makers, but IR and burn in is known to be less likely on Panasonics.

If it werent for the faded blacks, and lack of color adjustments, they would be great.

Yeah, Panasonic makes better plasmas than anything else. That's their specialty it seems. Samsung and LGs are usually better LCD makers though from my research and from what I've heard and read.

Appears this deal is dead, unless I'm missing something... Really sucks, cuz my parents were all ready to buy one for their place. They're still using a 10 year old Sony tube tv, so they could have used it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back