panoramic lcd screen

i donno if this has already been posted, but it's friggin awsome eihter way. anyone have any information on what this is exactly and if it's available yet?

Panoramic1.jpg

Panoramic2.jpg

that looks a little too far ahead of its time... I can just see the flying cars whizzing behind that guys desk... :)

it's not. I think it's called OLED's that can be palced on special plastic that allows the screen to bend. i've seen it on tv where a guy is holding a sheet of plastic that's playing a baseball game, and he's warping it all around.

Everfalling said:
it's not. I think it's called OLED's that can be palced on special plastic that allows the screen to bend. i've seen it on tv where a guy is holding a sheet of plastic that's playing a baseball game, and he's warping it all around.

That technology does exist, yes, but the picture here looks fake. The contrast on the screen is way too high for a photograph in the lighting of that room and the stuff on the screen is not from any OS in existence. The unreasonable thickness of the whole thing is also weird seeing as OLED's are so thin.

thats sweet, me wants.. only prob is its WAAAAAY too thick and big.. imagine trying to move that thing... blah

Techx said:
thats sweet, me wants.. only prob is its WAAAAAY too thick and big.. imagine trying to move that thing... blah

thing is, if this picture WAS real, it'd be lcd, and not crt. so it'd mostly be hollow, and wouldn't weight THAT much. realistically, now that i look at it as the photoshop as it is, it would be much thinner and much more light.

Concept photo..

OLED and Plastic Bendable screens are seperate technologies that several companies are looking at combining...

its a ways off though... you'll first need OLED screens in mass production before anything

Guys... The picture is real. No photochops here.
It is from Microsofts "Digital Workplace" or whatever it's called that shows off their vision of what will be possible in the future.

if you used a reading type lens about a cm away to enlarge the screen enough to cover a thin bezel and placed that next to another screen w/ lens then it would seem like one constant screen would it not

i dont think you could get a curve like that though

i have been imagining some lens type contraption for a while now, not sure if it would work though

LunchboX3904 said:
does it say Microsoft on it?? in the lower center of the display. :p

thats what i thought too.

edit: look at the top left corner of the screen. definitely a chop

Everfalling said:
i donno if this has already been posted, but it's friggin awsome eihter way. anyone have any information on what this is exactly and if it's available yet?

Panoramic1.jpg

Panoramic2.jpg
That is awesome. Imagine how games would look on that monitor?

icehokplyr said:
That is awesome. Imagine how games would look on that monitor?

1. Dont quote the pics, think about peoples download times.
2. Imagine BF2 on that sucker!!!! Oh wait, EA wont support widescreen.
I imagine games would suck on that thing.

Sorry. Didn't realize the pictures would post again.

You're probably right about gaming on there too.

Is it possible that a display like this (if it exists) might be based on multiple engine DLP projection technology, not LCD? Maybe that is why it is so thick and bulky compared to LCD tech? Maybe 4 projectors, one in each pedestal that supports the thing. With the right lens, it would allow the screen to be curved like that.

Heh.. Check it out, you can just make out the Microsoft logo at the bottom-middle of the screen.

Anyhow, wraparound is a cool idea, but as far as this concept design goes, I can't imagine any manufacturer would actually end up releasing a screen with that much bezel thickness.. It just looks excessive.

wow... I gotta get me one of those!! :)

sort of along these lines -

I read an interfesting article in wired last month which is along the lines of curved plastic displays... but not only displays, but whole circuits and computers, built transparently into the viewport. pretty cool stuff....

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.07/start.html?pg=9

revenant said:
wow... I gotta get me one of those!! :)

sort of along these lines -

I read an interfesting article in wired last month which is along the lines of curved plastic displays... but not only displays, but whole circuits and computers, built transparently into the viewport. pretty cool stuff....

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.07/start.html?pg=9

that'd be awsome. we'de finally have those landscape changing windows from back to the future 2.

Back