Paralell LCD

option141

Gawd
ok, i read the FAQ. Esentially, i need to get the LCD (how big do they come?), then rig it to where it plugs into my printer port, right?

My question is, what would be the powersource for a paralell LCD? That little battery on the mobo? If so, will it dramatically decrease life of that battery?

Also : can the LCD change screens? Like, have my system specks up, then change to CPU and HD temps, etc.

I'm sorry i'm so noobish :p and all help is greatly appreciated.

ya, plugs into the parallel port, or possibly the serial depending on what model you get. the powersource is usually the computers power supply, I believe it uses 12V, so an external AC->DC 12V inverter thinger would work too.

edit : nevermind on the size.

can i make it go through a few screens...like system specks, then to temps?

I don't want to sound like a dick, but I was just asking these questions myself, and found alot of answers in the LCD faq, you might check that out, and check out some of the sites for the different LCD manufacturers

I'll answer them anyway...most people stick to 2x20 or 4x20 screens although you can also find some 4x40 and maybe 2x40(not sure if the 2x40's actually exist, I think Ive seen em) And ya, different progs do different stuff, system specs, winamp info, temps, etc, cool stuff.

Sorry drac, i read the FAQs, didn't quite ge the conceps, so i make this thread - sorry bro.

Thanks UB. I was thinking 4x20 for me...and somehow integrate a program that will show specks, then on the LCD, fade away to the temps. But thanks for your help, just needed to get it ironed out.

thanks people.

I got a parallel lcd 4x20 and its powered off of a PS/2 port. It has a pass thru on it so i can still plug my k/b in

Originally posted by Ub312g0d654
ya, plugs into the parallel port, or possibly the serial depending on what model you get. the powersource is usually the computers power supply, I believe it uses 12V, so an external AC->DC 12V inverter thinger would work too.
No, most LCDs use 5 V. 12 V would almost certainly ruin the LCD. You can get 5 V with sufficient current delivery from a variety of sources, including the PS/2 port, the USB ports, IEEE-1394 ports, disk drive power cables (the "molex"), and other harder-to-find sources.

Originally posted by option141
Sorry drac, i read the FAQs, didn't quite ge the conceps, so i make this thread - sorry bro.
thanks people.

NP man, didn't mean to be a dick and spew out RTFM type stuff! anyways, good luck with your lcd adventures:D

You might want to look at USB and serial port LCDs too since you can hook them up internally which gives a nice clean look.

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
You might want to look at USB and serial port LCDs too since you can hook them up internally which gives a nice clean look.

if you are really [H]ard you can hook up parallel lcds internally too ;)

Originally posted by FLECOM
if you are really [H]ard you can hook up parallel lcds internally too ;)
LOL ! :D
Your right but serial/ USB is easier for newbies and for people that don't want to hassle with it. ;)

One way is soldering onto the DB25 solder points on the motherboard. Another is using a PCI parallel port card that features an internal parallel connection. A third option has extremely limited utility so far, but there are bona fide USB converter boards that accept a parallel input from certain LCDs and VFDs.

Originally posted by xonik
One way is soldering onto the DB25 solder points on the motherboard. Another is using a PCI parallel port card that features an internal parallel connection. A third option has extremely limited utility so far, but there are bona fide USB converter boards that accept a parallel input from certain LCDs and VFDs.

im planning on doing the first one after i stealth my drives, could be months ;)

the usb>parallel is more of a diy solution for now... one person tried it here, and that wasnt too sucessful :(

Hey FLECOM

i just checked your site out, and i want to show you my 3D rendering...abstract 3d art that i'm getting paid for (and i'm only 14 ^.^)

suppose you and i could chat on aim?

Back