Parallels 7 & Windows 8-CP

TechLarry

RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
Anyone else tried this yet?

I can get it installed ok, but there is all kinds of mouse control issues.

I reinstalled the Parallels utilties, etc...

The only thing that helped was turning smart mouse off, but even that isn't perfect. Sometimes the mouse pointer completely disappears.

Don't have this issue with Win7 or Ubuntu.

Well, I suppose the biggest problem would be whether there are drives for Parallels or VMware that work with Windows 8. I run 7 fine with VMware of course, but I don't have access to 8 for testing to let you know if I have a similar issue or not.

Win8 is burning right now then I'm going to try to install it on Mountain Lion muahahah.
I seriously doubt it will work. Parallels and the like just don't have the drivers for it even though theoretically the Win7 drivers could work. Kinda like how 7 uses Vista drivers. I may be way off though :)

I tried it today. Turning off smart mouse was a must. I run it in windowed mode until I'm sure the mouse is working right then I switch to full screen if needed. If you don't have a cursor in windowed mode, try resizing the window, that fix has been working for me.

Needless to say, I disabled the folder sharing features and just run W8 in it's own little isolated box for now. It runs pretty well with only 2 cores and a gig of ram.

That said, my initial reaction to W8 was one of so much revulsion that I don't know when I'll be trying it out again. I really think Microsoft is making a huge gamble, perhaps for the right reasons, but one they will end up on the losing end of. I say this as someone who really liked W7 and used extensively on several systems.

I found the smart mouse trick too. Unfortunately, it still breaks if you switch users. The cursor disappears completely.

I also tried VMWare Fusion 4. I couldn't even get it to boot after the installation.

I put both win 8 and win server 8 in vmware fusion 4. Skipped the vmware driver installation, just told vmware it was windows 7 or server 2008 r2. Seems to work fine. I'm not really getting along with the new UI though.

Yeah, metro is horrible :)

Rumor has it there is no way to restore the tart menu because ms removed he code.

Back