Parse Links

Killermac

[H]ard|Gawd
I have noticed more and more people are direct linking to freebies and hot deals. Might I remind you that by placing a direct link into the thread it can lead the site that you are referring us to right back to the hardfourm...Many sites don't like to "Give Away" freebies to mass hordes. So please remember to not hot link right to the site.

KM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be in conflict with Rule #3?

3. All posts must include the item and price in the title/subject line and a link to the item in the body of the thread.

I think he wants people to use a dereferer service, like anonym.to. I believe sites like fatwallet and slickdeals do this through their own service for some of their links.

I think he means to uncheck the box for "Automatically parse links in text" so that the link doesn't become an actual HTML link.

http://www.google.com for example

This way sites don't have hundreds/thousands of hits from the same referrer site (like this site), since people will have to copy/paste their links to go to the site.

You can do noparse tags as well:

Code:
[plain][/noparse ]

What exactly makes this a Hot Deal ???
Worse, I have no idea why Killermac would want to prevent people from direct linking to hot deals. Links to freebies is one thing, but the other complaint doesn't make sense.

maybe he is thinking that since alot of us dont actually get the freebie because of the direct link. the company might see that and just doesnt send out the freebie to us.

Back