Partition Magic Problem

AeriaGloris

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to resize my Windows partition on my second pc (sempron, 37gig laptop HDD etc), to make room so I can install Linux. I'm using Partition Magic 8.0. The Windows partition is currently the only one on the drive and has 19GB of stuff. I try to resize it to 32GB and PM says to reboot, so I do so, but when Windows loads the partition is back to the full 37.xxGB.
Any idea how to fix this?

There's something wrong with PartitionMagic. When it reboots and starts Windows, PM should come up and start doing its work. If it loads back onto the desktop, try uninstalling and reinstalling.

what linux?
ubuntu boots to a live desktop which allows you to then use gparted to partition your disk (don't rely on the installer partitioner)

otherwise download an ISO for gparted from their website, it is ~50meg and it is the best partitioner there is (and it is free)

does NTFS without any issues.

Your not trying to use the "trial" version are you?

Anyhow.. GParted is great, I've used and recommended it for a long time.... but....you might want to take a look at PartedMagic.... it's free and it's really nice as well... and some find it easier to use...

Either way, good luck and I hope you get it sorted out....

I tried that gparted but it gives me some error about not being able to load X.

Edit:partedMagic uns but it gets an error when trying to resize the partition. Ill try and save the details.

I tried that gparted but it gives me some error about not being able to load X.

Edit:partedMagic uns but it gets an error when trying to resize the partition. Ill try and save the details.

well gparted is the old liveCD and the priest (yes a priest) who managed the build of the liveCD just couldn't dedicate the time anymore and thus it has slipped behind

PartedMagic is the continued version of the liveCD (and it seems alot better, must replace my iso & CD)

anyway downto the errors... in the gparted GUI does the NTFS partition by any chance have a nice yellow "!" by it?

the ntfsresizer is very cautious and one thing it will just exit on is if there are any errors on the NTFS partition (it does and ntfs chdisk first). If this is the case boot back to windows and start a checkdisk (the /r /f option iirc) and let it complete and then REBOOT TWICE!!! (so windows fully clears all chkdsk required flags)
then try the liveCD again

IF the "!" is still there complaining abt dodgy NTFS markers, there are ways to force the resize, but they are command-line ways

but basically
1) start cfdisk and delete the partition you are wanting to re-size (NOTE the data is still there cfdisk works on the partition table)
2) re-make the partition but smaller (thus freeing up room for new partition)
3) write part-table & quite
4) run ntfsresize --bad-sectors --force /dev/sda1 (assuming the partition being shrunk is /dev/sda1)

then go back to the GUI and get gparted to re-scan, now you should see a smaller NTFS and free-space. use the free-space for linux

I dont see a ! anywhere.
I tried chkdsk and it ran through ok, rebooted twice, tried gparted again and got the same error. I tried just checking the disk and the error occurs whilst trying to
"check and repair filesystem (ntfs) on /dev/sda1" to bad the stupid thing won't tell me what the error actually was...

Back