Partitioning a WD Raptor 150

uberwurst

n00b
Would there be any benefits of partitioning one of the new 150g raptors drives, such as decreased fragmentation, or faster access (due to data being stored on the inner most cylinders and thus easiera for the head to access)?

e.g. one 60 gig partition for installing the OS, games, and frequently used programs, and the other 90 or so gigs for frequently-used files storage and temp-file space.

Or am I better off leaving the entire partition intact, and just mixing OS, games, and file storage all up in there?

On top of this I have a 400GB SATA and spare 160GB ATA drive that I'm using for non-performance mass storage. I intend to use my single, non-RAID raptor drive for its performance benefits while using budget drives for mass storage.

I've read that smaller partitions offer greater performace over large drives/partitions.

HOWEVER, you have no real reason to partition it up because you're already using a storage system. Hate to say it, but I'd just leave it as is.

If it were your only drive, I'd say split it up 50/100. And use the 100 for all your shit.

I would NOT install OS on one partition and games on the other. Applications create registry entries and if you ever had to format the OS partition, you'd have to fiddle fuck with all sorts of shortcuts and registry entries to make your apps work again. Been there, tried that. Not worth it, if there even was a performance increase.

I wouldn't install OS and programs/games on different partitions. I realize the futility.

I'm interested in this possible setup strictly for performance reasons.

uberwurst said:
I wouldn't install OS and programs/games on different partitions. I realize the futility.

I'm interested in this possible setup strictly for performance reasons.

So you'd use the seperate partitions for what then...?

mdameron said:
So you'd use the seperate partitions for what then...?

"Decreased fragmentation, or faster access (due to data being stored on the inner most cylinders and thus easiera for the head to access)"

These are some advantages I've read/heard over the years about partitioning big drives.

I'm not too sure about them, though, which is why I'm asking advice from the gurus here :)

uberwurst said:
"Decreased fragmentation, or faster access (due to data being stored on the inner most cylinders and thus easiera for the head to access)"

These are some advantages I've read/heard over the years about partitioning big drives.

I'm not too sure about them, though, which is why I'm asking advice from the gurus here :)

Well, if you need more storage than your current config is offering, then yes, do a 50/100 split.

or if you're uber anal, 50/50/50. Those things you heard/read are true.

However, if you don't need the extra storage, I don't think the benefits of partitioning are so awesome that you'd need to partition it up just to leave a couple of partitions empty.

I would partition it at 50/100 no matter if you need it right now or not though.

One thing i'll mention, when I first broke my cherry with RAID0, i didn't partition anything up. Didn't realize you could partition raid 0 arrays. Needless to say, I noticed no difference in anything after i did partition it. FWIW.

I have a 50/100 split
the main reason is that if iw ant to blow away the OS, i can do it fairly easily and start from scratch wile my games and other files are safely tucked away....

uberwurst said:
Would there be any benefits of partitioning one of the new 150g raptors drives, such as decreased fragmentation, or faster access (due to data being stored on the inner most cylinders and thus easiera for the head to access)?
The question used to be a topic that was debated quite a bit. From what I remember people suggested that using partitions made file management more difficult, if using the windows defragger, which demands 15% of free space on the same partition.

Also, some people said that mapping the pagefile on a different partition may decrease its performance, since the average seek time would increase. Additionally, there would be "fast" space on the HDD that was wasted, between partition 1 and partition 2.

However, using partitions makes it easier to "clean install" windows while keeping the documents separate on a physical partition. It would also prevent format c: from hosing the documents in addition to the windows install, provided that a strict separation is being kept.

Sorry for not being able to make a clear recommendation. Without any experimental data, most arguments are theoretical, so they depend on which school you buy in to.

On my Laptop, I have one HDD, two partitions, on my desktops I generally have two or more HDDs and one partition each. I did not decide to split my Laptop HDD for performance reasons, but rather because it makes my roaming profile's operation more bearable. Netbeans, for example, stores the "open project path" in a roaming folder. If I did not use two partitions, each time I'd switch from the Laptop to the desktop and back, I would need to readjust that path.

Thanks for the interesting response drizzt81

I feel it would help if my games/OS/programs are separated from my documents and scratch files that would quickly lead to lots of fragmentation, so this fragmentation won't affect core system performance.

If I were doing a small video or other media editing project, I'd like to use the other partition on the raptor for better performance while editing, but without affecting (by fragmenting and cluttering) all the other data on the drive.

I'm now changing my question: will there be any known performance decreases if I were to split the drive in half?

As a gamer first and foremost, speed is what I value most out of this drive.

uberwurst said:
I'm now changing my question: will there be any known performance decreases if I were to split the drive in half?

Not anything I'd bet you'd notice. The data partition is located on the "slower" inner part as previously mentioned and some say that there's a minute hit in Windows to lookup files on another partition, but again, probably more theoretical. I agree it's always best to have a separate partition for OS/apps/games for the convenience to blow it away without afffecting data on the other. Also, using a good defragger like DiskPerfect can keep all your files to the outside of the platter as possible where they can be accessed the quickest. In the end, separate drives are still best.

There's no benefit, especially considering you have other data drives. Leave the Raptor as one total partition, and install the OS, games, and apps to it.

i thought the outer ring of a disk was faster :confused: if so then op u might want to rethink that logic

i thought the outer ring of a disk was faster :confused: if so then op u might want to rethink that logic

Specs say so. So install your OS and programs on a Raptor with one partition and be done with it? Or, partition your Raptor after you install your stuff, and then the C partition will be on the outer part of the disc?

The idea of gaining major speed improvements by partitiong the disc is old world, and was envisioned and implemented when HDDs and RAM cost an arm and a leg.
Now, these ideas are no more than splitting speed hairs, and mean very little.

The question used to be a topic that was debated quite a bit.
but is no longer revelant.

OP says
one 60 gig partition for installing the OS, games, and frequently used programs, and the other 90 or so gigs for frequently-used files storage and temp-file space.
That would be your best plan only because you should back up, at least, the OS and programs for a quick "revival" VIA Acronis or Ghost.

Back