Passive-Cooled X1950s On The Way

The Goose

Gawd
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5401

Quiet PC aficionados rejoice as PowerColor is expected to release two passive-cooled graphics cards in Q1’2007. The new passive-cooled graphics cards are based on AMD’s ATI Radeon X1950 Pro and X1950XT. Cooling the ATI Radeon X1950 Pro and X1950XT is a cooler designed by Arctic Cooling. The cooler occupies an adjacent slot below the physical graphics card.

With the Arctic Cooling passive cooler the Radeon X1950 Pro runs approximately 4 degrees Celsius cooler than the stock AMD graphics cooler. This isn’t too surprising as the passive cooler takes advantage of four heat pipes to transfer heat from the 80nm ATI Radeon X1950 Pro GPU. It is unknown how well the passive cooler performs with the ATI Radeon X1950XT though. In addition to the new GPU cooling the new passive-cooled Power Color graphics cards feature passive heatsinks on the memory and voltage regulators as well.

Expect the passive-cooled PowerColor graphics cards to be available early next year. Pricing is of the AMD ATI Radeon X1950 Pro powered variant is expected at $209--$10 higher than the stock cooler equipped model. Pricing of the passive-cooled ATI Radeon X1950XT powered model is unknown at the moment.

Mmmmmm...passive.

3371_large_PowerColor%20X1950PRO%20Passive.jpg

Oh my. That's absolutely freaking HUGE :eek:

With the Arctic Cooling passive cooler the Radeon X1950 Pro runs approximately 4 degrees Celsius cooler than the stock AMD graphics cooler.

That's a part I find interesting. Will the passive cooler be that good or is the stock cooler just that bad? Some food for thought.

When I saw this thread I thought that the cooler would have to be massive for it to not let the GPU burn out. I think my X1900XT got to the low 90s with the stock cooler. Then I saw the pic in this thread and at first thought it was a photoshop job. Geez that thing is gigantic!

PRIME1 said:
That looks like the radiator on my car.

You must have a small car....LOL

In case you don't know these cards run pretty cool compaired to their big brothers (X1950XTX) and cousins (X1900XTX). With a Zalman VF900 these cards go from idle 32c to load 40c, now that's amazing if you ask me. This would be a good for the HTPC people.

Maybe it's just the angle of the shot, but... daaamn...

That pic is like a rottweiler having it off with a chihuahua.

That cooler is intense!

Does anyone else think it looks like the cooler protudes out from the front of the card? Wouldn't that pose a problem? Or is the perspective just that shitty?

Back