PATA and SATA hard drives...

=Vector=

Limp Gawd
my question is can you have both in one system...

i'd like to know if i can keep my 120GB IDE hard drive for my new system (which i haven't built yet cause fedex hasn't delivered my PSU yet :mad: ), i would only use it to keep my data in, but i'd use the SATA one (250 GB) for application/games/OS/and any other things that would benefit from a faster hard drive.

am i gonna run into any problems with that setup or no?

btw, most of the specs (the ones that count anyway) for my new system are in my sig.

EDIT: question answered, scroll down for next one

EDIT2: both questions answered, thanks for the help guys

yes you can have both in one system

It won't be a big issue at all.

That setup would work without issues.

ok, thanks for the info :)

just got my PSU in, now i can finally put this rig together...sucks i got a lot of work to do though, got to finish that up first :(

So, theoretically you could have 2 IDE drives and 2 SATA drives installed without any special configuration?

I got another question...

i have a DVD burner (IDE) and i was wondering if it's ok to run that and my IDE hard drive on the same bus/channel (or whatever the hell it's called), i'd most likely have the hard drive run as the master and the DVD burner as a slave. i figured this would help wire management and since i'm only going to be using the IDE hard drive as a data storage/back-up it won't be accessed that much compared to the SATA one...

hope that makes sense...

Aelfgeft said:
So, theoretically you could have 2 IDE drives and 2 SATA drives installed without any special configuration?

As long as you have enough controllers and power/cooling, you can run as many drives as you want without doing anything special.

And vector 'optimally' you'd want them on their own channel but there is no problem with that. You should have no issues hooking them up that way.

Back