pata, sata, power connectors, etc... (small rant)

Devilpup

[H]ard|Gawd
i've been looking at the neat benefits of using sata devices and found a problem that is starting to frustrate me. thing is, i like the neat cables, but dislike that they have a diff power connector. the sata power connector cables are nowhere near as neat as the standard 4 pin molex connectors and it looks like the further along sata develops, more companies are giving up the 4 pin connector in favor of the new style.

my rant is, i like to use the 4 pin molex because it's easy to sleeve and you can also get the 90* connectors, while the sata power connectors are very difficult to sleeve and i have yet to see any 90* connector available. this means that if i want to stay current and go with the latest and greatest sata drives, eventually i'll likely have to use the crappy sata power connectors, which will fubar my wiring scheme (on the hdd side at least).

anyway, my rant is that we're going to a neater data cable, but crappy power cable. come on manufacturers, this doesn't have to be a see-saw.

I believe the new SATA power connectors have increased functionality versus the old 4-pin molex connectors. They are built for hot-swapping the drives. When you plug them in, the pins contact in a certain order (pre-charge, ground, etc.). Western Digital has an article under their technical articles and then the SATA drives section that explains the advantages of SATA and it includes the new cable interface.

But, yeah, you might have to wait for the drives to become more common before you see 90* connectors. :(

there exists connectors that solve both of your problems, being right-angle and featuring a IDC-style crimp connector, which basically means that you push the bare wires in over a blade-like thing that cuts into the insulation, sort of like a punchdown, no tools other than a pocket-knife/flat head required. Now if only PSU makers would put those on their supplies!

Finally, the new connectors offer a third voltage level, 3.3 volts, for low-voltage signalling, especially in the growing number of 2.5 and 1.8" drives.

xonik said:
Finally, the new connectors offer a third voltage level, 3.3 volts, for low-voltage signalling, especially in the growing number of 2.5 and 1.8" drives.
This fact alone is a god-send for power managment in computers nowadays, with everything and their mom being powered off the +12v rail (fans, motors, CPU VRMs, GPU VRMs). Now only if they would make those 2.5" 10K RPM SCSI drives in a SATA version...

The PC Power & Cooling supplies come with an end connector and they use the 90 degree connectors up the line. If you have one of their supplies just call them for a few.

Back