Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big_Aug the developers want feedback on how you feel about the game. They want to know about what type of leagues you're interested in playing. They are discussing guilds, private servers, open world cut throat pvp, etc. If you're interested in that type of thing then tell them about what excites you about the game. Tell them what would really get you to bring your friends over, etc. What additions that you would add to the game; etc. They really do listen! Criticisms don't bother the developers as long as you intelligently express yourself and have a suggestion on how to make it better.

Also you seem to be liking the game more. Is it safe to say that with some more polish and modes added in that you're having fun? :)

They do listen, and it has made a difference.

Also you seem to be liking the game more. Is it safe to say that with some more polish and modes added in that you're having fun? :)

Yea, the loot is good which is all that matters in the end. Rares are rare enough that, well let's put it like this... A lot of the time I'm thinking, "This is stupid. Rares never drop. Need moar drop rate." Then the rare drops and I'm like, "Fuck yea."

Versus a game like D3 where rares aren't really rares.

It has the "One more level" feeling. Whether I dislike a lot of things doesn't matter when I want to keep going despite the flaws.

Anyone else really dig the lore? It's got a dark and hopeless feel to it. I've been on their site reading about the areas, monsters etc. Cool stuff. I'm downloading now, but I have a question. Are there any named weapons or items in this? I hate to use the word legendary, but..

Anyone else really dig the lore? It's got a dark and hopeless feel to it. I've been on their site reading about the areas, monsters etc. Cool stuff. I'm downloading now, but I have a question. Are there any named weapons or items in this? I hate to use the word legendary, but..

Yes they are called Unique. They are OP armor and weapons that take your character and puts it on steroids. :)

Yea, the loot is good which is all that matters in the end. Rares are rare enough that, well let's put it like this... A lot of the time I'm thinking, "This is stupid. Rares never drop. Need moar drop rate." Then the rare drops and I'm like, "Fuck yea."

Versus a game like D3 where rares aren't really rares.

It has the "One more level" feeling. Whether I dislike a lot of things doesn't matter when I want to keep going despite the flaws.

Glad to hear that. Like I said don't be afraid to suggest improvements on their forums. They actually listen.

So I've been playing a Witch and I'm leaning into the minion part of the tree so far, still fairly low level. I'm curious if minions eventually get a bit more...durable? My zombies seem to get killed pretty fast to the point of being downright useless against "boss" mobs or even "champion" type mobs most of the time(and those stupid dogs that light the ground on fire when they die manage to nearly kill all of my zombies every time...). Just wondering if anyone has done a good minion build before and can tell me if this will work out well later on or not. I'm not looking for a specific path to take in the skill tree, I want to try and figure it out for myself for the most part but I'd like to know if what I want to do(minion-based "tanks" or "distraction" plus DPS from afar) is possible or if I should focus in some other direction instead.

Yes, minion builds can be viable, for sure. Check out some ways to augment their power, or provide distractions that allow your minions to take less damage. They become stronger as you level them.

They nerfed them from closed beta so much that I almost used some orbs of regret on the talent tree last night. Might attach them to a spell totem eventually though.

They nerfed them from closed beta so much that I almost used some orbs of regret on the talent tree last night. Might attach them to a spell totem eventually though.

They nerfed a LOT of peoples favorite builds. They felt some of the builds were too OP causing people to gravitate towards only those builds and wanted people to experiment more. Mostly the old builds still work but they aren't as powerful as they used to be.

Some of the nerfs were too much though. Choas Innocualtion which was a staple skill of all high level witches was made to be worse than useless. It kept the negative (only 1 hit point) and got rid of the best thing it had (extra ES) and made the second good thing for it (Chaos immunization) possible to get from equipment. Before there was no way to defend against chaos damage except by having CI. Now you can get resistances via other means.

So I've been playing a Witch and I'm leaning into the minion part of the tree so far, still fairly low level. I'm curious if minions eventually get a bit more...durable? My zombies seem to get killed pretty fast to the point of being downright useless against "boss" mobs or even "champion" type mobs most of the time(and those stupid dogs that light the ground on fire when they die manage to nearly kill all of my zombies every time...). Just wondering if anyone has done a good minion build before and can tell me if this will work out well later on or not. I'm not looking for a specific path to take in the skill tree, I want to try and figure it out for myself for the most part but I'd like to know if what I want to do(minion-based "tanks" or "distraction" plus DPS from afar) is possible or if I should focus in some other direction instead.

Summoners have a rough early life. With the right passives though, and auras, they can be very effective. They aren't group friendly though, and get boring to play eventually.

Summoners have a rough early life. With the right passives though, and auras, they can be very effective. They aren't group friendly though, and get boring to play eventually.

Boring you say? Hm...do you normally like pet-based classes in RPG games? They're my go-to class usually, so I was really hoping they might be fun in this game. I don't want to end up with a build I regret lol, but the game is fun enough that I probably will build up multiple characters anyway.

They nerfed a LOT of peoples favorite builds. They felt some of the builds were too OP causing people to gravitate towards only those builds and wanted people to experiment more. Mostly the old builds still work but they aren't as powerful as they used to be.

Some of the nerfs were too much though. Choas Innocualtion which was a staple skill of all high level witches was made to be worse than useless. It kept the negative (only 1 hit point) and got rid of the best thing it had (extra ES) and made the second good thing for it (Chaos immunization) possible to get from equipment. Before there was no way to defend against chaos damage except by having CI. Now you can get resistances via other means.

You're missing some of the point of CI. 1hp isn't a negative. Having chaos resist on gear isn't either.

I take back what I said about drops. I feel like the drop rate on rares is a bit low. My witch is lvl 21 and has probably only gotten like 15 rare drops the entire time. That's all the way through act 1 and through chamber of sins in act 2. I'm rarely getting new items to equip.

No uniques yet.

Rolled up new mara yesterday. Nice start, chaos orb in twilight and unigue item in terraces...
Played 1.5 years of PoE in CB and i only got 2 unigues in that time. Now i got one soon as i got to terraces for first time :D

I take back what I said about drops. I feel like the drop rate on rares is a bit low. My witch is lvl 21 and has probably only gotten like 15 rare drops the entire time. That's all the way through act 1 and through chamber of sins in act 2. I'm rarely getting new items to equip.

No uniques yet.

I love the drops...A rare is rare. A unique is unique.

And if I really wanted to, I have enough orbs to make a couple really good rare items. :)

Boring you say? Hm...do you normally like pet-based classes in RPG games? They're my go-to class usually, so I was really hoping they might be fun in this game. I don't want to end up with a build I regret lol, but the game is fun enough that I probably will build up multiple characters anyway.

I had a level 61 witch summoner before the wipe. I thought it was great fun having an army of minions. Yes, your zombies get much stronger as you specialize.

I was messing around with a Templar summoner....what I would call a "Shadowknight" :). Minions + sword/board type of deal. It's fun being able to specialize however the hell you want. Just can take a little longer to get to the right trees depending upon where your class starts on the passive tree, I guess.

Ok i decided to play a witch and am leaning toward a frost/ice lance build. any one with experience in this? any ideas or tips?

No uniques yet.

How are we defining rares? named yellows? My max leveled character is like 16 and is almost fully decked out in yellow named items and my first stash page is half full of them. I'm to the point where I don't even worry about wasting identify scrolls on most normal magical items. I probably have 20% item rarity find and another 15% item quality find stats on my equipment though.

Something I found interesting. I created a Shadow with the intention of going for a melee/magic user but had a named bow drop and started building around ranged. After a while I figured I'd try a Ranger, gave him that same bow, and it feels weak comparatively.

Last edited:
How are we defining rares? named yellows? My max leveled character is like 16 and is almost fully decked out in yellow named items and my first stash page is half full of them. I'm to the point where I don't even worry about wasting identify scrolls on most normal magical items. I probably have 20% item rarity find and another 15% item quality find stats on my equipment though.

Something I found interesting. I created a Shadow with the intention of going for a melee/magic user but had a named bow drop and started building around ranged. After a while I figured I'd try a Ranger, gave him that same bow, and it feels weak comparatively.

Sounds like you've gotten pretty lucky. My highest character is only level 13, and I've found only 2 yellow items (that I gave to my friend's Shadow) and 1 orange.

Well I've yet to find an orange. I was fully decked out in yellows but had to dump a few pieces to get different sockets. I ruined one of my bows when I used the chromatic orb on it. I thought it would let me select the socket color. :mad:

I have played in beta for 3 months and i have yet to get an orange as well. Had one char up to lvl 31 and nada orange piece.

Hmm, I played since last March and I've had at least 30 unique drops. None since Wednesday, but I've only played maybe 5 hours since.

Look for +quantity mods on gear.

At this point in the game, I would gladly trade the one low-level orange sword that I found for a bunch of usable yellows for my witch. I'm still using several white pieces of gear at the moment.

I just played a Marauder up to 17 and I think I might have found 5 rares (yellows).

I think I might be using some white pieces actually. Drop rates are pretty low for sure.

I just played a Marauder up to 17 and I think I might have found 5 rares (yellows).

I think I might be using some white pieces actually. Drop rates are pretty low for sure.

That's RNG.

My level 16 Shadow is decked in all yellows and 1 blue. My jewelry is all rare, even.

I have gotten a bunch of rares (lvl 15 witch) but have only been able to use 3 or so. most of the rares i get are for other classes.

Yea, it's RNG, but the drop rates are also really freaking low.

Played the game in CB for ~3months (~120hrs), between orbs and drops I never felt like rate were low. Orbs are incredibly powerful and really offset any apparent lack of luck in drops.

I have played in beta for 3 months and i have yet to get an orange as well. Had one char up to lvl 31 and nada orange piece.

That's interesting, because i got my first orange so far around lvl 31

got it off the dark orange named boss statue in act 3 marketplace

950941ae86

the str and dex requirement is the minor caveat to using this in a pure minion build, right?

You're missing some of the point of CI. 1hp isn't a negative. Having chaos resist on gear isn't either.

Having run a CI witch I am not missing the point of CI. of course 1 hp is a negative. Not only do you only have 1hp but there are low life skills that you'll never be able to use.

Putting chaos resist on gear cheapens the value of CI also in that it used to be the only way avoid chaos damage.

the str and dex requirement is the minor caveat to using this in a pure minion build, right?

There is a +30 dex and a +30 str node nearby one of the main minion nodes, so it would be just a matter of a few misc stats on items.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back