Path of Exile

Status
Not open for further replies.
And how far have you gotten without dying while playing a melee character? Have fun in scrubcore.

The game is simply not balanced. Not even close. If you deny that, you're a blind fanboy or you're delusional.

Well you're the one complaining about dying, so why don't you try out non-AltF4Core?
No the game isn't balanced, but it is "viable" for melee. They are making changes, and it appears their latest failed to solve the problem. They are trying though. The delusion is your Black/White assumption that "because I can do instantly die for playing poorly, melee isn't viable".

The only thing preventing me from playing HC personally is desync, which has become horrible. If anything, THAT is preventing melee from being "viable" not some actual game mechanic.

Well you're the one complaining about dying, so why don't you try out non-AltF4Core?
No the game isn't balanced, but it is "viable" for melee. They are making changes, and it appears their latest failed to solve the problem. They are trying though. The delusion is your Black/White assumption that "because I can do instantly die for playing poorly, melee isn't viable".

The only thing preventing me from playing HC personally is desync, which has become horrible. If anything, THAT is preventing melee from being "viable" not some actual game mechanic.

I didn't complain about dying at all. I'm complaining about broken mechanics that pigeon hole you into specific builds which goes against what this game is supposedly all about. Alt + F4 doesn't work by the way. Anything that's able to kill a well built, well played character is going to be basically instant death. I should rephrase. It loses it's usefulness once you'd actually really want it to work (your character is high level with awesome gear.)

Scrub.

Any unbalanced mechanics are going to be more visible when playing Onslaught. As was shown when Kripp fucked up by being reckless, there are a few mobs in the game that will facestomp you when you aren't prepared.

There is always going to be content that doesn't suit certain builds, which is fine. I can't run maps like "Players cannot regen mana". Melee isn't well suited for Kole type bosses, regardless of melee defensive problems. That's one thing people will have to accept. All builds are going to have a weakness. Melee is currently at a disadvantage, but even after some balancing, heavy hitting physical bosses will still be tough to deal with.

Any unbalanced mechanics are going to be more visible when playing Onslaught. As was shown when Kripp fucked up by being reckless, there are a few mobs in the game that will facestomp you when you aren't prepared.

There is always going to be content that doesn't suit certain builds, which is fine. I can't run maps like "Players cannot regen mana". Melee isn't well suited for Kole type bosses, regardless of melee defensive problems. That's one thing people will have to accept. All builds are going to have a weakness. Melee is currently at a disadvantage, but even after some balancing, heavy hitting physical bosses will still be tough to deal with.

Your BUILD can't deal with lack of mana regen. That doesn't eliminate an entire "class" of builds.

Ok, so melee isn't suited towards Kole type bosses. What aren't ranged characters suited for? This is the problem that comes from all characters having access to all skills. Melee is completely inferior in every way, so everyone builds ranged even with classes that seem like they might be melee oriented. Ranged characters can be just as tanky and do just as much DPS while being much more mobile and safe against things that will actually kill you.

In circles...

Kripp's BUILD wasn't suited for Kole. Well, it was, but not how he was playing that day. Toss on 4-7 endurance charges plus an enfeeble and he wouldn't have died. He also wasn't melee, but your point still has merit. Ranged classes will do a better job on the 4 bosses that make being a melee class difficult. The only real drawback to ranged is close quarters combat, which can be alleviated, but at the expense of some longer range dps.

So, it comes back to balancing melee better, like everyone is saying.

Ok, so melee isn't suited towards Kole type bosses. What aren't ranged characters suited for? This is the problem that comes from all characters having access to all skills. Melee is completely inferior in every way, so everyone builds ranged even with classes that seem like they might be melee oriented. Ranged characters can be just as tanky and do just as much DPS while being much more mobile and safe against things that will actually kill you.

I am 100% certain though, that they should NOT fix it the way D3 did, with their flat 30% damage reduction to melee classes. That's just no fun. It's gotta be something closer to what Lenin is saying, giving certain melee specific moves defensive attributes... or something. Maybe just more moves like Molten Shell. Clearly only buffing armor won't fix it because you have ranged mauraders. It's definitely not an easy problem to solve.

Kole and Brutus = damage nerfed. I don't get the Brutus nerf, even map Brutus was easily manageable. Kole was always more spikey.

Last edited:
I am 100% certain though, that they should NOT fix it the way D3 did, with their flat 30% damage reduction to melee classes. That's just no fun. It's gotta be something closer to what Lenin is saying, giving certain melee specific moves defensive attributes... or something. Maybe just more moves like Molten Shell. Clearly only buffing armor won't fix it because you have ranged mauraders. It's definitely not an easy problem to solve.

I don't know why both devs decided to go with such needlessly complex mitigation systems in the first place. "Your armor works, unless the enemy does a ton of damage, in which case your armor doesn't work." Uh, okay then.

I see the logic behind it - a suit of armor will help mitigate damage from swords but it won't really mitigate the damage of huge tree falling on you - but I don't see the 'fun' in it for the players.

The issue now is it isn't fun to remove the challenge, either. A dual spork totem build would never die if armor was a flat mitigation %, while an up front melee would still face a good chance of being killed if the damage was scaled.

Not that it would be a good idea in the first place, but you can't give melee a flat 30% physical damage reduction since there are no classes. Defenses need to be build specific.

So my farming witch poped a Andvarius ring this weekend - 85% rarity :)

Currently have 24% quantity and 203% rarity. Went ice spear crit, works like a charm, and added dual totems late in the build. 51% ice spear crit chance @ 555% dmg ~ at range its at max crit chance 95%.

Key items to have Atziri's Foiable, Le Heup of All, Andvarius (of course), Wondertrap, and Soul Mantle. All were self found except the soul mantle, but i got it cheap :p.

Went with dual daggers for extra crit chance, the 80% versions.

Right now im farming docks, and lunaris with no problems at all. I die to keep my level at 65 so i don't effect the drop rate of currency. (found the first exalted 2 days ago!)

ES is at 1099, hp at 90 (total 534), resistances are all -28% or lower.

Having more fun doing this than my maruader! Dual totems with ice spear + gmp is pretty mean.

If anyone wants my tree send me a pm and i'll get it to you.

Last edited:
Found a 19% Faster Attacks gem last night--woot! Best Q gem i've found.

Also bought a 12% cold pen for 1gcp. How much would you pay for a 20% Q cold penetration?

Yea I have the soul mantle, the curses it puts on me aren't an issue since I don't get in the fray anyway.

Even then it really isn't a big issue. I can take down Kole in about 3 seconds. The totems freeze him and then my ice spear takes him down fast. Really not even a threat.

However, piety was fun (died about 25 times i guess), but once i figured out a strategy she didnt last long.

Last edited:
Right now its 4 socket, 3 link - which is good nuff till I get enough jew's and fusings to try for more.
my main ice spear is on the 4 socket Chitus Apex helm i have :p

By the way, if anyone is looking for a paticular rare item, post it and the approx stats you are looking for. I go through a ton of rares each run. Minor upgrades are still upgrades, so let me know!

I'm after AR/EV chest/boots/helm for my alt who is just about to beat merciless. Anything with resists and HP.

Holy cow does the game get harder though. My gear is clearly not up to merc levels, and i die a lot :(

Going to try Vaal Pact soon though, not sure how bad it'll be not having hp pots, but i mean to find out!

What kinda stuff are you looking for k2rn2g3?

This is what i have open to the public right now, but i have a lot of other items not posted.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/384644

Currently the only thing i am looking for is a Marohi. My witch is complete and my maruader is sitting at lv79 waiting for a Marohi :p

Here are some uniques I can part with: Sidehebreath, Kaom's Sign, Blackheart, Ezomyte Peak, Bramblejack, Hrimsorrow, The Peregrine, Shiversting, Brightbeak, Geofri's Baptism, Bones of Ullr, Redbeak, Sundance, Titucus Span, Chernobog's Pillar, The Searing Touch, Queen's Decree, Ambu's Charge, Zahndethus' Cassock, Slitherpitch x2, Kaltenhalt, Atziri's Mirror, Foxshade, Mortem Morsu, Lochtonial Caress, The Blood Reaper.

Might as well put them in the page too... Done. check the page above for all. i still have others not posted but no other uniques not posted.

Ok this is what i dont have posted:
Helmet 4s3l: 517 armor @ 10% quality, +37 str, 10% increased quantity, 17% cold, 14% block and stun
Majestic plate 6s 2x3L: 526 armor @ 20% quality, 79 to life, 2 life regen, 7% cold, 18% chaos, 9% block and stun
Wand 3s2l: 16% spell dmg, +2 lv of fire gems, 10-94 lightning, 69% crit strike for spells, 13% crit strike multiplier global, 8% cast speed
Boots 4L: 127 armor @ 20%, 28 str, 73 life, 7% rarity, 21% fire, 25% move
helmet 4s3l: 310 armor @ 20%, 72 life, 7% quantity, 34% cold, 18% lightning
And.... a quiver: 30 dex, 18% elemental dmg with weapons, 1-27 lightning, 31% global crit strike, 45% global crit stike multi, 12% projecticle speed

Last edited:
After the Physical damage buff, they really need to go buff all the uniques which have increased physical damage. The numbers used to be good, now none of them are worth the negatives of wearing.

After the Physical damage buff, they really need to go buff all the uniques which have increased physical damage. The numbers used to be good, now none of them are worth the negatives of wearing.

Yup. I think they should up the base armor values on a few of the melee based uniques as well, especially the helmet where you can't wear a chest.

Speaking of the bringer of rain

my bringer has 525 armor and 727 eva @ 5% quality as compared to my current setup:
593 armor my helmet
1121 armor for my chest
When using the bringer, i lose about 500 armor but gain 200 hp.

So it might could use a buff, especially when you consider you are losing a possible 6L chest, but you gain a 7L helmet..

Speaking of the bringer of rain

my bringer has 525 armor and 727 eva @ 5% quality as compared to my current setup:
593 armor my helmet
1121 armor for my chest
When using the bringer, i lose about 500 armor but gain 200 hp.

So it might could use a buff, especially when you consider you are losing a possible 6L chest, but you gain a 7L helmet..

Did you get that as a drop? Does anyone know how much one of these helms goes for?

Yes it was a drop, it goes from 6cp to 2ex right now

I don't like the way people trade so I haven't done much of it. I've only ever bought the soul mantle, and a carnage heart. Everything else is self found solo only.

Last edited:
No one else is doing anarchy/onslaught?

I've hit "a wall" with my claw dude, a3 cruel, die a bit too easy. I'm going with an acrobatics/evasion build, but all of my gear is underleveled or doesn't have evasion at all. Everything I'm reading says that acrobatics still sucks even with the buff though..so I dunno. Need to check if Hrimm's (the acrobatics chest) stacks with evasion off the tree. If so, that would be 40% chance to dodge + evasion's benefit. Likely it'll cost me quite a bit though, since the economy of the new league isn't established....

------

About balancing mitigation/survival, I had two ideas (not necessarily good ideas mind you):
buff hp nodes significantly, but put them behind several "junk nodes", such as straight stats, so you have to sacrifice dps to get them.
or
Add more positives BUT ALSO negatives to having one stat/mod stacked. Such as, if you are over x hp, then you start gaining "chance to be hit" with every bit over that amount. (realism that a big high-hp tank would be an easy target). At the high end of gear, players would need to be more balanced in their stats, instead of just going for one.

Last edited:

Nope. but only because I've been really enjoying my claw guy, and my buddy has a mage he's been leveling in softcore.

If they were released right as i wanted to make a new character, then i probably would have.

I'm doing Anarchy off and on. I got distracted with my Default Witch again who is like 4% shy of level 80.

The truth is, dodge + evasion when properly geared and supported is actually pretty good. My Anarchy bow ranger is going the same route. Got Phase Acrobatics, too. Now I need to decide whether I'm going spork totem augment or traps.

Saw 3 rogue exiles so far. Fun fights. I got a couple rares that were good from them, but most of it was vendored.

I started a toon doing the one with the rogue exiles. I actually killed an exile yesterday, my first one. I also found my first GCP, (but I have really bad luck, been playing softcore since release). At any rate, I'm confused about the purpose of the current league I'm playing in. Is it to try and get the most achievements or only rogue kills? I'm also playing a minion spec with spark and plan to get into totems soon, but only level 26...

I started a toon doing the one with the rogue exiles. I actually killed an exile yesterday, my first one. I also found my first GCP, (but I have really bad luck, been playing softcore since release). At any rate, I'm confused about the purpose of the current league I'm playing in. Is it to try and get the most achievements or only rogue kills? I'm also playing a minion spec with spark and plan to get into totems soon, but only level 26...

The leagues serve a couple of purposes. The first and foremost is just a fresh league/economy to start over in. The second is the special features that make the leagues different (Rogue Exiles/Onslaught). And the third is balance testing. A number of items were removed from the new leagues to see how their presence (and lack there of) affected players - Koam's Heart being a prime example.

I've hit "a wall" with my claw dude, a3 cruel, die a bit too easy. I'm going with an acrobatics/evasion build, but all of my gear is underleveled or doesn't have evasion at all. Everything I'm reading says that acrobatics still sucks even with the buff though..so I dunno. Need to check if Hrimm's (the acrobatics chest) stacks with evasion off the tree. If so, that would be 40% chance to dodge + evasion's benefit. Likely it'll cost me quite a bit though, since the economy of the new league isn't established....

------

About balancing mitigation/survival, I had two ideas (not necessarily good ideas mind you):
buff hp nodes significantly, but put them behind several "junk nodes", such as straight stats, so you have to sacrifice dps to get them.
or
Add more positives BUT ALSO negatives to having one stat/mod stacked. Such as, if you are over x hp, then you start gaining "chance to be hit" with every bit over that amount. (realism that a big high-hp tank would be an easy target). At the high end of gear, players would need to be more balanced in their stats, instead of just going for one.

The increased evasion on Hyrri is a local mod, so that just affects the defenses from the chest. It would have to say max evasion to increase all your evasion, I believe. Also, the acrobatics on the armor is exactly the same as the one on the skill tree and wouldn't stack so you'd still just have the 20-30% dodge from the passives.

As far as dying goes, are you using a blind support gem? Blinding gives enemies a 75% penalty to chance to hit, which comes in after the accuracy/evasion check. So basically it gives you like 400% evasion. It's been working pretty good for me. That, plus Ondar's Guile (Arrow Dodging).

I've been planning on taking Acrobatics + EB, hopefully to run arctic armor, but I'm not really sure I'll be able to able to get enough mana regen with the ES penalty on acrobatics.

Penalty for Acrobatics is only 50%. You should be able to run enough hybrid/es gear to make EB viable still. Just hit the big mana regen node by the shadow tree and the big one in the witch tree.

Penalty for Acrobatics is only 50%. You should be able to run enough hybrid/es gear to make EB viable still. Just hit the big mana regen node by the shadow tree and the big one in the witch tree.

Do you mean nodes? I don't recall a sweet mana regen node (singular) near the shadow tree... (i would love to pick it up tho lol)

oh I'm no where near the witch tree with my build...

Anybody with any 4L level 35ish mage gear? I need to get some totems going....

ps anarchy league

Hey guys, I've been playing a bit but I can't for the life of me find a 4L Chest or shield or w/e for my mauradertank. I'm at level 40, about what level will I start seeing 4L? Thanks.

[V]ad[H]atte(r);1039967914 said:
Hey guys, I've been playing a bit but I can't for the life of me find a 4L Chest or shield or w/e for my mauradertank. I'm at level 40, about what level will I start seeing 4L? Thanks.

Shields and 1h weapons can only roll 3 sockets.

On chests, they become more common right around the 40's, you can consider burning some fusings, but if you only have a few, its probably not worth the gamble....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back