Pauses in games with 6800GT

Trancer

n00b
heya,

My leadtek 6800GT is pausing while playing games. Happens for about 2 seconds once every 45mins of gaming. The screen freezes and the sound loops... Then the game goes back to normal. Any ideas what might be causing this? Happens even when im in default clock speeds.

Ive updated my chipset drivers. Im using 61.77 nvidia drivers

spec

**Edit** - its a 64bit chip.. AMD64 3400
gigabyte K8VNXP
1gig of 400mhz ram

thanks

what kind of soundcard do ya have, it may be a driver issue with that if the sound loops, could be locking your system when it's trying to do something.

I had the same problem with a 5900 a while back. Even though it happens at stock speeds you might wanna check your temps anyways.

ive tried turning fast writes off in bios, makes no difference.

Im updating my soundcard drivers now, I was using the standard drivers that winxp installs.

My temp never goes over 79C

thanks for replies

are your ram timings tighter than they should be? if so put the back to SPD

There's a thread on these pauses at nVNews. Most people think it's caused by high temps, having 2d and 3d set to different clock speeds, or this one which seems to make the most sense to me : I fixed my "pause" problem by setting the low-power 3d and performance 3d clocks the same. Seems my card would run the performance 3d clocks for about 30 seconds and then go into low-power 3d mode. Setting the clocks the same for both completely eliminated the pause.
The entire thread is at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759&page=1&pp=15&highlight=gainward

ToastyBoy said:
There's a thread on these pauses at nVNews. Most people think it's caused by high temps, having 2d and 3d set to different clock speeds, or this one which seems to make the most sense to me : I fixed my "pause" problem by setting the low-power 3d and performance 3d clocks the same. Seems my card would run the performance 3d clocks for about 30 seconds and then go into low-power 3d mode. Setting the clocks the same for both completely eliminated the pause.
The entire thread is at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32759&page=1&pp=15&highlight=gainward

The thing is though this is happening to me at stock speeds.. hmm :(... im still reading through that thread though.

Updating soundcard drivers made no difference.

Dillusion I haven't changed any ram timing settings.

In my video card properties under fast writes it says
GPU: Yes
Chipset: No

is that correct?

My graphics aperture I set to 256mb in the bios

You could try putting it in a friends computer and see if does the same thing. If it does I say rma it.

meh... i guess im gonna have to RMA it.. what a fucking joke, pay all this money for a card that should perform perfectly. :mad:

Trancer said:
The thing is though this is happening to me at stock speeds.. hmm :(... im still reading through that thread though.

Updating soundcard drivers made no difference.

Dillusion I haven't changed any ram timing settings.

In my video card properties under fast writes it says
GPU: Yes
Chipset: No

is that correct?

My graphics aperture I set to 256mb in the bios

Turn off your GPU fastwrites. I unlocked the AGP settings in the Forcewares by using NVHard Page 2.0. You should also be able to do it with Riva Tuner.

Trancer said:
meh... i guess im gonna have to RMA it.. what a fucking joke, pay all this money for a card that should perform perfectly. :mad:

before you RMA give the 66.00 drivers a shot...and try cleaning out any old drivers you might have...also try it in a friends system to see if it's actually the card...then if it still pauses in another system...RMA..

The Batman said:
Turn off your GPU fastwrites. I unlocked the AGP settings in the Forcewares by using NVHard Page 2.0. You should also be able to do it with Riva Tuner.

heya i installed NVhard page 2.0 and enabled the AGP settings. But I can't find the setting in my display properties to turn off GPU fastwrites

Yeah eMpTy i'll give that a try aswell, cheers

Trancer said:
heya i installed NVhard page 2.0 and enabled the AGP settings. But I can't find the setting in my display properties to turn off GPU fastwrites

Yeah eMpTy i'll give that a try aswell, cheers

AGP Settings is in-between NVRotate and Additional Information. Also try enabling ALL 4 options from NVHARD, Activate Cool Bits, Activate Hardware Options, Activate AGP Options, Activate Perf. and Quality Tab.

The Batman said:
AGP Settings is in-between NVRotate and Additional Information. Also try enabling ALL 4 options from NVHARD, Activate Cool Bits, Activate Hardware Options, Activate AGP Options, Activate Perf. and Quality Tab.

hehe im not a melon! but that page I can't edit any of the options on that page, Ive tried clicking on fast writes GPU, hitting, poking it... but I cant change it.. same with all the settings on that page.

One guy fixed it by plugging in his molex connectors all the way...his were loose or something...

did you run an ati card previously?

if so run driver cleaner from safe mode..twice...then reinstall whql drivers

^eMpTy^ said:
One guy fixed it by plugging in his molex connectors all the way...his were loose or something...

I think that might of done it! Im holding my breath, but today ive had no stalls at all!. *crosses his fingers* and im at 401/108 clock speeds! *keeps fingers crossed*

The connector was near alot of cables and didnt seem all the way pushed in.. but the fan has always been spinning.

This single thing might of fixed it, but ive made alot of changes.. so it might be a combination of things I did.

Thanks anyways :)

***fucking hopes I dont get any more freezes*** :D

Back