PayPal Rolls Out Test of In-Store Payments at Home Depot

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Online pay service PayPal is going brick and mortar by teaming up with home improvement giant Home Depot. PayPal will initially be test marketed in five Home Depot locations before going system-wide.

PayPal also has plans to issue a plastic card with a magnetic strip that can be swiped at these terminals, basically identical to a debit card.

I have a paypal debit card.. If there's money in my paypal, it takes from that first, if not, it goes to my bank account, i get cash back and its backed by mastercard so it works as credit as well.. There are no fees and i get cash back on it...Oh, and i can use it ANYWHERE.

How would this be better or different?

I have a paypal debit card.. If there's money in my paypal, it takes from that first, if not, it goes to my bank account, i get cash back and its backed by mastercard so it works as credit as well.. There are no fees and i get cash back on it...Oh, and i can use it ANYWHERE.

If I pay with a charge card and pay within the allotted time at the end of the month, free usage of the money. Pay with my debit no charge to my account. Use paypal and I pay a fee, so how does paypal benefit me. It will benefit Home Depot by lowering their cost to what ever they agree to at point of sale. No guarantee cost of goods will be lowered, because no one other then the bean counters get to see the books. On the other hand they are the first to tell you that the fee visa and Mastercard charges goes into the cost of goods.

I don't think so. Not with PayPal's shady practices already. Closing legitimate accounts, freezing funds, holding funds, poor customer service, just being dicks. They are worse than any B&M bank I've ever dealt with. I'll use my regular bank debit card and not have to worry about my money.

I don't think so. Not with PayPal's shady practices already. Closing legitimate accounts, freezing funds, holding funds, poor customer service, just being dicks. They are worse than any B&M bank I've ever dealt with. I'll use my regular bank debit card and not have to worry about my money.

More or less this.

Unless that "debit card" isn't going to get rejected if the Paypal gods decide to freeze my account for some reason, it's no good as a form of payment to me. I use my debit card tied to my bank account because I know it will always work. I refuse to be tethered to a method of payment that I have to worry about being refused every time I use it.

If I were to do this, I would attempt to register a second Paypal account that is tied only to a bank account and not used for any of MY online sales. As soon as you sell something and/or have someone pay you via Paypal, your account becomes vulnerable to a dispute, resulting in freezing or removal of funds.

Its PayPal, they are not a BANK, they act outside of banking law. NEVER do business with them.

heres to hoping that this turns into a disaster for paypal customers that use it.

I got into a massive argument with a paypal employee that they were essentially a bank/lending company.

no matter what angle I took she could look me in the face and deny deny deny, I really hate paypal.

sounds like a redundant service to me.

I'll stick with my trusty credit cards.

It's about time PayPal was treated like a bank, and required to follow all rules and regulations that banks have to follow.

They have way too much latitude to fuck over the customer right now, and my personal past experience with them indicates to me they aren't ashamed to use it.

Right with you. I recently closed my account because of those shady practices.

Its PayPal, they are not a BANK, they act outside of banking law. NEVER do business with them.

I've been buying and selling with eBay for the last twelve years. I've had people try to do me wrong and take my money several times. Every time, PayPal got my money back with little to no delay. The only ones who should fear their rules are those that try to get something for nothing. Will you always be satisfied with results in any transaction? No, that's life. Some win and some don't even come close. I've also had a debit card with PayPal for five years now, works a lot like the article described this "new" service will. Still looking for the change or difference, I may just be tired.:D

yea this sounds like a bank to me time for the gov't to bring down the hammer ether there a bank or not

Back