PC asleep for 35 days...now it wont get up...

LeviathanV

Limp Gawd
I went away for the holydays and I put away my computer to shield it from dust. I come back put everything together and it wont boot. I make sure everything is connected properly and try again, nothing. I disconnect the memory and the video and put them back in... nothing. So I go for the processor and as I try to raise the heatsink, it is unusually hard so I pull harder and to my surprise it comes out with the procesor stuck on it... the paste dried up and stuck like cement... thankfully I didn´t bent any pins... so I hook everything in again and ....guess, no boot...

all this time at every boot attempt I get the same post code not listed on the manual : 0.4.

I have an Abit AN8 ...does anyone know what that post is and / or what migth be wrong with my computer...

All help appretiated...

IF all you did was turn it off and put it away then there should be limited things that could be wrong with it. 1)) check your outlet to make sure that there is power IN the outlet. just plug something else into the socket and see if it works. you might have a loose connection which might be not delivering stable power. 2)) make sure that the switch on the back of the power supply is turned to the ON position. thats all i can think of as far as just connecting it goes. you might wanna try to plug the computer into another outlet and see if it works from there. g/l

You said no pins were bent when you pull it out, but did you check to make sure none pulled out of it when it pulled out of the clamp? That wouldn't have affected it on the first try but afterward if it did happen.

My vote is accidentally not having the PSU switch in the right pos, or that it needs a CMOS clear. You might want to check to make sure that your leads from the case to to the motherboard are correct, and if that doesnt work, try to take out the PSU from the case and jump start it. (Connect pins 13 and 14(Green and black) with a bare paperclip. Make sure the power thingie is on the O and not the I while doing this, then plug it into the wall and flip the switch, if it works it works if it doesnt it doesnt)

looks like I named the thread wrong, cause people seem to reply without reading the actual thread, so most of the suggestion dont apply...

For the rest, no pins came out... the procesor was perfect, at least on the outside...
I cleared the CMOS and nothing happend still gets stuck on POST CODE 0.4.
More Detail: it goes from 0.0. - 8.3. - 9.0. - F.1. - 0.4. and stuck....

8.3. = ATX Power Supply ready
9.0. = Complete uGuru initial process / Award BIOS take over booting job
F.1. = SoftMenu reset
0.4. = F%$#@ing Bull$/%t

what I would give to know what that post actually means... Im making a post on the abit forum....

any more suggestion....greatly appretiated...

recently had one of my troops return form holiday leave with exact problem, unplugged everythign before going home, he lives in the dorms with no roomate so no other users whatsoever, came back and poof dead. I ran over my spare parts box and tried the power supply, and magic it worked. Being that my workcenter is a bunch of electroni engineers we were baffled by a power supply dieng on the shelf so to speak but it has happened.

appaerently it was just my computer giving me a hard time.... I removed the Ram and started trying them in different configurations until it started to move along, each time stoping at a diferent post code, until it boot up normally with my original configuration....

Sometimes you just gotta do that, treat your computer like they do in the movies with stuff that dont work...just kick it... well I didnt kick it but just moving the memory around making it work... who knows... thx for the help...

Back