PC Build Help Request - [Gaming/Intel/120Hz/Win8/SSDRAID0withTRIM/$2500USD budget]

OldM3ta

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey, first off, I'd like to say this is like my fifth build help request in like five years and I feel very lucky that we have guys like DannyBui and tirades to assist us in our builds. Thanks so much to those who put in the work and help other HardOCPers with their build requests.

This system is for me. I currently have no system at home after selling off my last machine way too cheap back when I needed some money and space in mid 2012. ( http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1695585 )

=======================
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Network programming across multiple VMs (most likely four linux VMs), Windows 8 programming in Visual Studio 2012, Trying to run a MacOS VM, Gaming - lots of it, Learning Photoshop, Video conversion (on occasion, to get rips to different mobile device standards), Some 3D programming, Unity and Unreal Game Development as programmer
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$2500USD including tax. able to handle extra for shipping
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible
Austin, TX, USA
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
CPU, GPU(s), Monitor, Motherboard, RAM, WiFi card, Case, PSU, optical, mouse, keyboard, cooler
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
2x Samsung SSD 830 (128GB), 2x Samsung SSD 830 (256GB), Logitech Gaming Headset G330
6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes, mildly to get most CPU clock without adding too much heat. No to GPUs at first, unless easy.
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
I don't have a monitor, but am opting to get a 1080p 120Hz over a 1440 60Hz. I might get another 1440p down the line if 120Hz models come out, or if I am pressed for desktop space.
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Next three days, will overnight to get before weekend. Will buy online or in person, if needed.
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI?etc.
I'd like a motherboard with SLI/Crossfire support. I'd like that the PC take advantage of the numerous SSDs I already have. From what I've read that means TRIM capable Intel 7 series boards. From what I've read, it doesn't seem that most boards support this on Windows 8... or maybe I'm wrong and the Google searches are out of date. I don't need all four SSDs in a two RAID-0 set with TRIM, but it would be preferrable. I want at least one set of RAID-O SSD with TRIM support for Windows 8 so I can use that set as the O/S drive. Preferrably, I'd be able to put the 128s together and the 256s together into two RAID-0 SSD sets with TRIM support for Windows 8.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Windows 8 Pro 64-bit

Newegg parts have no tax for Texas residents, so they appeal more to me.
I have an Amazon card which gives me 0% interest on certain purchases, so I could mitigate the expenses over time with Amazon.
There is a Fry's in Austin. Closest Micro Center is in Houston, 160 miles, 2hrs and 40 minutes away. If the deal is incredible, I'd be willing to drive out there for it.
I'm also open to purchasing a pre-made, if it works best for me.

I want the machine to be able to push the latest games as close to 120Hz as possible. I plan on getting games like Far Cry 3, Assassin's Creed 3, and Hitman Absolution eventually . I own a lot of games that I've never played, so it's not pressing that I play the latest and greatest games. But I do want the best gaming experience I can afford for the games I do decide to play. I'll never go with three displays again, but may eventually want to upgrade to a second, higher definition monitor so that I can use that to program on, and the first to game on (from PC and consoles). WiFi is required.

==========================

Parts I have my eye on:

CPU - i5-3570K. Heard this one is good as my needs don't require hyperT. However, is this a good chip for Virtual Machines over VirtualBox on Win8?
Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 (heard it's really good)
Motherboard - No clue. Don't need firewire or eSATA, but those are nice. Would like a kick ass sound chip since I'll be gaming a lot with headphones. WiFi onboard would be nice but only with 5GHz support. SLI or Crossfire (leaning to SLI). No need for PCI or PS2 or Serial or anything legacy. Looking for a brand that is stable. Want the four sticks for 32GB support. Also, the board should have controllers that support trim SSD RAID-0. Two sets preferable.
Network - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007GMPZ0A/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2EUTVCJXLAJ4K Looks good to me. TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 Dual Band Wireless N900 PCI Express Adapter,2.4GHz 450Mbps/5Ghz 450Mbps, IEEE 802.1a/b/g/n,WEP, WPA/WPA2. It means I might be able to go high band with a airport extreme router from Apple.
RAM - 32GB DDR3 (4x8 or 2x16). I'd like to max out on the RAM for the virtual machines. Plus, I'll be running developer software for gaming, and won't have a HDD, so could use the extra GBs for scratch space using RAM Drives. Probably need low profile for compatibility with the Hyper 212.
GPU - Two 680s in SLI (no stuttering, get to max out games at 1080p trying to get up to 120Hz). I heard the 7870s are known to stutter when in crossfire. Also, heard the 690 has issues which cause systems to sound to pop, because of some kind of latency bug. ( Look at second review http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...dRating4=4&Keywords=(keywords)#scrollFullInfo )
PSU - As beefy as I need for the rig. Clean power. Huge preference for modular as I suck at cable management. I'll likely buy a surge surpressor for the wall, as I don't think I'll need the battery option. Or maybe I will if there is money left over.
Keyboard - Filco Ninja Majestouch or similar. The new Das Keyboard Pro are getting complaints about squishy spacebars. Don't like that.
Mouse - I'll take suggestions. Just want something that feels good in a medium sized hand, is super accurate, and has a thumb button. I used a kensington pro at work and that works fine for me, though I might need something with higher dpi for gaming. $60 max.
Speakers - When I'm not using my headset, I plan on having some fairly descent 2.1 speakers for sound. I'll most likely use the headsets often as I live in a small apartment and don't want to disturb neighbors.
Sound - Using headsets with no spatial processing. I'm guessing I can upgrade to better sound support later on when I can afford the space for 5.1s.
Optical - I'm torn. Not sure if Bluray is in my best interest. I have a PS3 already. An external optical drive will probably be better for me, since my little netbook, an Acer Aspire One has none. That way, I can share between them.
Monitor - Looks like the Benq XL2420T is the best 24" 120Hz out there. I want the smoothest, most responsive display. The lag input of the 1440p's scaler scared me off.
Case - I could care less about how pretty this thing is. I want space enough to support my SSDs. I could go for 5 1/2" bay converters if needed for the four 2.5" ssds. I want the case to be pretty quiet. The less fans the better, but obviously, need the system cool enough to be stable. I've enjoyed prior Cooler Master cases, though I really don't need the external eSata hard drive bay. Or any crazy lights or windows. Something easy to assemble and open to diagnose problems if need be.

There you go. Thanks for reading and hopefully the suggestions and dialogue will help others. I'll be on often, so please don't hesitate to ask questions at any time! Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
TLDR - $2500 budget. Have four SSDs. 2x128GB 2x256GB. Would like to run them all in two RAID-0 pairs with TRIM support. Want the budget to afford a 120Hz monitor and be able feed that Hz enough frames to make it worth it. Figure SLI is best route. Want to have support for four linux VMs to sit on Win8 host. Not sure if Hyper Threading would help with that. Ready to buy now. TYVM.

For your usage, get the Core i7 3770K since the extra threads will help out with all your multi-tasking.

Motherboard wise, I recommend the Asus P8Z77-V, MSI Z77A-GD55, or MSI Z77A-GD65.

RAM wise, I recommend this two of this set:
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-2x8GB...PDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1357623931&sr=1-5

GPU wise, you should still be fine with the GTX 670 2GB SLI setup. I don't see a need for GTX 680 2GB SLI at all.

PSU wise, I recommend the Seasonic X750 Gold.

Case wise, if you truly want a quiet case, I recommend the following:
$110 - Antec P280 ATX Case
$125 - Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White ATX Case
$135 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl ATX Case
$135 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Arctic White ATX Case
$135 - Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Titanium Grey ATX Case
$120 - Corsair Obsidian Series 550D ATX Case
$144 - Silverstone RV03B-WA ATX case
$230 - Silverstone FT02B-USB3.0 ATX Case

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the reply, Danny Bui. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the build using most of your suggestions.

CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116501
$329.99
Note - Microcenter had these at $229.99! Mind-blowing. But I considered if the five hour trip was worth it for $100.00. Not so much for me. Maybe for someone else.

Cooler
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/FM2/AM3+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
$29.99 and $5 MIR
Note - I was considering the Corsair H80, but after reading a lot about it, the default fans are known to be very loud. That kind of defeats the purpose of the quiet case.

Case
Corsair Obsidian Series 550D Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139012
$164.98 and $10 MIR
Note - Amazon has these much cheaper, but their free shipping would have take 5-8 days, plus I would have paid tax. Decided on paying the $30 or so premium to get the entire build before the weekend.

Power Supply
SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W ATX12V V2.3/EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087
$149.99
Note - Saw this on Google Shopping for $10 cheaper from other retailer, but figured I'd pay the $10 premium to keep all my items coming from the same supplier.

Motherboard
ASUS P8Z77-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131819
$208.49
Note - Decided to go with the PRO version, as it was only $10 more and came with better phase cooling and more USB 3.0 ports, which I could use. I liked how the motherboard line you suggested came with WiFi.

RAM
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model 994018
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226263
$149.99
Note - The Corsair CMS3 sticks you recommended had bad reviews on Amazon. Some people mentioned they were unstable. I decided to go with Mushkin as I have used them before with no problems and have had good experiences with their tech support.

GPUs
2x EVGA Superclocked, Signature 2 02G-P4-2687-KR GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130797
$939.98
Note - I know you suggested 2x 670s, but when I started researching more about the BenQ XL2420TX, I started to realize there could be a good chance that I'd opt out of the 120Hz and go with a 1440P display instead. I want to be top of the line regardless of what screen I'm on for a dual card display, so went with the 680s. Plus, this deal had both cards come with two copies of Assassin Creed's 3 and two copies of Borderlands 2. I'll eBay those all off to get some of my money back, and just buy them down the line on a STEAM sale. (I typically don't buy games over $15, Skyrim and Battlefield 3 were the exceptions).

Optical
Rosewill USB 2.0 Slim Aluminum 8x DVD Writer External Optical Drive for PC Model ROD-EX002 Black
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827190021
$29.99
Note - I debated external blu ray writer, but I don't think I'll be saving anymore data to discs. External and cloud drives FTW. This will get me by to play games off disc, had 2MB cache, versus the 1MB cache of the competitor, and will work without a power adapter with my Acer Aspire One.

Mouse
Logitech G500 10 Buttons Dual-mode Scroll Wheel USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826104318
$59.99
Note - Best reviewed mouse I could find for my purposes and in my $60 budget. The Razer Death Adder was a runner up but I heard it had some quality issues, so went with the G500 (a mouse I think I've owned before).

===================================
Build Total (shipped with three days) = $2063.14
After MIRs = $2048.14
After eBay (estimating $30 for each Borderlands 2 code, $25 for each Ass Creed 3 Code) = $1938.14
Original budget difference = $2500 - $1938.14 = $561.86
Still need a monitor and a keyboard = Approxmating high of $700.00

Not bad compared to what our goal was.

Now I got to debate what display I'm going to go with and if I want to spend money for a mechanical keyboard or not.
These are big questions. But I appreciate your help. If you have any comments on my choices, good or bad, please write back. Thanks!

=========================================================================================================

Back