PC Case for network components?

IOmonkey

n00b
Hey all, I've got a line on an older Dell case that I would like to turn into a giant wireless router/switch.

I have a Netgear WGR614 and a Netgear FS605, and possibly an FS105, and would be creating a new rear panel in the Dell case (where the mobo connectors usually show) and removing these components from their cases.

The router I'll put near the top, and mount a larger antenna - to keep with the giant wireless router theme - at the back to also perhaps allow better reception. The switch(es) will be mounted next to and below the router, mounted the same way.

Since the netgear components are run using adapters, I'm guessing in theory that I could just hack the adapter part and wire it into a molex, and plug it into the Dell PSU. This would keep cables to a minimum. The switches would all be connected using small crossover cables (<2"), so while this is ghetto, it will/should work. I think the idea here is concept execution, not necessarily end performance results.

So, any problems you can see? Ideas?

I'd appreciate input, especially on the antenna wiring.

IOmonkey said:
Hey all, I've got a line on an older Dell case that I would like to turn into a giant wireless router/switch.

I have a Netgear WGR614 and a Netgear FS605, and possibly an FS105, and would be creating a new rear panel in the Dell case (where the mobo connectors usually show) and removing these components from their cases.

The router I'll put near the top, and mount a larger antenna - to keep with the giant wireless router theme - at the back to also perhaps allow better reception. The switch(es) will be mounted next to and below the router, mounted the same way.

Since the netgear components are run using adapters, I'm guessing in theory that I could just hack the adapter part and wire it into a molex, and plug it into the Dell PSU. This would keep cables to a minimum. The switches would all be connected using small crossover cables (<2"), so while this is ghetto, it will/should work. I think the idea here is concept execution, not necessarily end performance results.

So, any problems you can see? Ideas?

I'd appreciate input, especially on the antenna wiring.
i dont know... i dont think its worth it... it might even be worse... why not stick with building a frame for those network components?

hmmm...
darn you, you've started giving me ideas.....
damn!

actually the idea of using a psu to power the DC network stuff sounds a lot better
than the collection of wallwarts bogging down my setup.

Shoudn't be to difficult to make the modifications if you know what you're donig with
electronics.

The wireless antenna should be easy to improve on. google for info
on long range antennae and there are tons of designs out there. the hardest
part will be coming up with the right connector to fit your card. You might have to order that piece.

good luck
-Jeff

JeffS said:
hmmm...
darn you, you've started giving me ideas.....
damn!

actually the idea of using a psu to power the DC network stuff sounds a lot better
than the collection of wallwarts bogging down my setup.

Shoudn't be to difficult to make the modifications if you know what you're donig with
electronics.

The wireless antenna should be easy to improve on. google for info
on long range antennae and there are tons of designs out there. the hardest
part will be coming up with the right connector to fit your card. You might have to order that piece.

good luck
-Jeff
so build some sorta frame and include a psu in it to power the other stuff... no biggie :D

EDIT: pictures of the victim case:
outside

inside

The reason for even using a pc case was the fact that it looks like a huge version of a netgear router, and would, if nothing else, make some sort of conversation piece. Again, going for proof of concept here.

I guess the other reason for it is that rack prices are horrendous ie nothing under 250CDN, which is out of the question. A smaller rack actually costs more (prob due to supply and demand), so this project would make me a small rack that a) looked cool, b) was expandable, and c) could alternatively be used as a monitor stand.

I've also found out that metal surfaces=no dice for wireless, so I'm going to attempt to remake the metal chassis out of plexi.

I also got a few more ideas:

I will be gutting the IOGear ION combo drive and mounting that inside as well, just cuz. I think it may even be possible to mount the DVD-RW in there, thus making the need to reach under the table to put a disc in null and void. I also have a USB hub lying around, which will also find its way into the mash. If I have my way, the volume controls for my speaker setups will also be mounted on the front.

So, it will now be a network rack, USB hub, volume control(s) + headphones, remote DVD-RW, and hey why not wireless keyb/mouse receiver. All in a ready to go box.

RAZMATAZZ!

So, on that note, I'll go and create a new thread for using the combo ION drive as a remote DVD-RW unit.

Again, any thoughts are appreciated.

IOmonkey said:
EDIT: pictures of the victim case:
outside

inside

The reason for even using a pc case was the fact that it looks like a huge version of a netgear router, and would, if nothing else, make some sort of conversation piece. Again, going for proof of concept here.

I guess the other reason for it is that rack prices are horrendous ie nothing under 250CDN, which is out of the question. A smaller rack actually costs more (prob due to supply and demand), so this project would make me a small rack that a) looked cool, b) was expandable, and c) could alternatively be used as a monitor stand.

I've also found out that metal surfaces=no dice for wireless, so I'm going to attempt to remake the metal chassis out of plexi.

I also got a few more ideas:

I will be gutting the IOGear ION combo drive and mounting that inside as well, just cuz. I think it may even be possible to mount the DVD-RW in there, thus making the need to reach under the table to put a disc in null and void. I also have a USB hub lying around, which will also find its way into the mash. If I have my way, the volume controls for my speaker setups will also be mounted on the front.

So, it will now be a network rack, USB hub, volume control(s) + headphones, remote DVD-RW, and hey why not wireless keyb/mouse receiver. All in a ready to go box.

RAZMATAZZ!

So, on that note, I'll go and create a new thread for using the combo ION drive as a remote DVD-RW unit.

Again, any thoughts are appreciated.
if you're gonna remake the metal casing out of plexi, might as well just build a casing.. since you want it to look like a huge version of a netgear router, then just build it and sand it or whatever and it'll be clear and you can imitate the netgear router shape and even paint that if you want

its up to you

Back