PC Crackling sound

Got an older P4 PC. The mobo on it died.

Have now replaced the mobo with a slightly inferior one, but it's working, and reinstalled windows...

As I was finishing installing some applications could hear some crackling.. opened up the pc, but it had already stopped by then... rebooted, it's fine, and then a few minutes later another crackle or two.. but it seems to be as I move the mouse around, oddly enough...
Fine again for another 5 minutes, and then as I move the mouse to the start button, more crackling, and as I move the mouse around the start button, more crackling, sounds like from the hard disk, but can't say 100%.
Was also previously using disk in question on another box while I waited for the replacement mobo to arrive and it was quiet, and is only a month or so old.

Note: this isnt from any pc speakers - none are plugged in!

Uhhh, reseat the mobo? if no fix there unhook your hdd and see if it makes noise.

tried reseating the mobo, no help, but...

I've just now plugged in a different pc speaker to the motherboard to get some distance from the case to isolate it to see if it's that.. I've heard it make 1 click and this does seem to be the sound I was hearing yesterday - it was much more severe yesterday however, it was making lots of clicks and that made it sound like a crackle.

I have found the following article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263174
"PC Speaker Makes Clicking Sound When You Move a PS/2 Pointing Device", however the mouse been used is a USB mouse.

any idea why!?

it's very odd though since I never had this noise before up until i swapped the mobo.
never heard it on any other pc either.

Back