PC download games on Amazon

Please note: This version of the game does not utilize any form of DRM. This means that once you download and install you can start playing without any additional steps. We also sell a version that utilizes the Steam DRM which requires activation to use the Steam service. Customers interested in the Steam version can click here to purchase it.

I've been seeing this under some games. Is there any downside to this version compared to the Steam version?

I've bought several games from Amazon during their various sales. I've had no problems at all with them. After you purchase you get a link to a download manager that then downloads the full installer package, and the Amazon page gives you your CD/license key.

I've been seeing this under some games. Is there any downside to this version compared to the Steam version?

For me with my nearly 400 game Steam library I'd go insane without some form of cataloging interface. But I must admit that having the ability to play games without some process checking how many cd drives I have in the background sure is reassuring to the mind. :)

I believe Steam games automatically update the latest drivers and pacthes for you, so that's one less headache to worry about. I know alot of people who have been buyinng arma II for day z mod on steam for 29.99 compared to 14.99 on amazon just for this reason alone.

Updates are nice. Can I download the game more then once with Amazon like I can with Steam?

Side question. I have physical media for some games like HL2, Portal. Can I throw that out along with CD keys?

Yes you can download the game as many times as you wish with Amazon.

I haven't seen my Orange Box since launch day. :)

I know I'm a little late replying...but I just stumbled upon this thread

Buying a "steam" code from Amazon is no different than buying the game directly on Steam...if you purchase a "steam" code from Amazon, you just input that code into your Steam client, and the game will unlock, and you are free to download it as if you purchased it from Steam

Amazon only recently started to get serious into the PC gaming business...before they weren't really known for throwing crazy deals, but now they are doing it pretty much weekly...and even more recently, they added "Steam" codes into their catalog. For example, Bioshock 1&2, if you purchased it previously on Amazon, you only got the digi download version from Amazon....now you can choose between digi download, or Steam DRM versions

I actually like to buy all my games from Amazon than Steam. I didn't have a good experience with Steam customer support...it was actually an embarrassment IMO dealing with those two reps. I just couldn't believe Valve/Steam would cheap out on customer support, when they are a multi billion dollar company. I'm not the only one who thinks this either, there are plenty of others. Their support tickets take FOREVER to respond, and there is no phone number...add onto the fact that, they love to over sell games during sales....and their servers get overloaded and you can't even download the game you paid for until days later....so now, I'd rather give my money to Amazon (who actually care for their customers) and activate all my games on Steam....I'm hoping one day Steam will see they are losing sales and will change their business model

I've bought games that have been redeemable on Steam & Origin. Amazon has awesome customer service, so I highly recommend buying from them.

Take note that if you buy a game that only gives you x activations from Amazon and go over it, you can write customer service and they will get you more in some fashion. I haven't had this happen yet, but saw it noted in some of the stuff on Amazons site.

Essentially, endless activations.

Back