PC Game Installs - why aren't they more like consoles?

Please... please, do not put "PC" and "console" in the same sentence together. It's just... scary.

I bought one game on the PC this year on a disc, and that was MW2. I buy everything off of Steam now: Prototype, Arkham Asylum, Borderlands, L4D2 and Dragon Age were the only notable games I bought this year, and I bought them all off of Steam.

Long story short: digital distribution is the future of PC game distribution.

That said, if you'll recall the dark ages of 5 years ago, you'll realize that you didn't have to install games on your consoles at all. The installing of a game is yet another example in the long list of ways that consoles have become more like PCs. Why in the name of fuck would we want to go backwards?

Obviously everyone knows that hard drives are much faster than optical drives, but the op's point is that by and large console games can run off discs while pc games cannot and in many cases load times are not as different as one might expect.

Primarily due to the low resolution textures and lower quality media being loaded onto the console, when you're streaming in high quality media it's bigger and takes longer

Console games tend to mask loading times better because they have to, the hardware simply isn't suitable for fast loading, games like resident evil have always used stupid little door opening animation to mask it, more modern games like MW2 have video between each mission.

Steam is a big ripoff that i only use for emergence where it is only place to find the game not regularly.

NFS Shift Steam: 49,99€ Store: 42,20€
Dirt 2 Steam: 49,99€ Store: 37,50€

List can go on and on and the trend are the same and clear proof of big ripoff, only thing that save Steam are a few rare games that store dont have but they are cheap enough.
Also store is mutch more sequre and give you the fysical disk unlike steam.
Installtime is NOT an issue today, ripoffs like steam are and those that get b*******d by steam have they self to blame for the misstake to think they where "smart" and legal no-cd patches can be found legally due to different rules in different part of the world.

Long story short: digital distribution is the future of PC game distribution.

That said, if you'll recall the dark ages of 5 years ago, you'll realize that you didn't have to install games on your consoles at all. The installing of a game is yet another example in the long list of ways that consoles have become more like PCs. Why in the name of fuck would we want to go backwards?

Because a collection full of game boxes that can be displayed and resold > Digital Distribution

Not to mention retail games tend to drop in price sooner than DD games. The Steam deals being the biggest exceptions.

Sure, I like Steam, no install media, auto patching. But if I'm going to pay 50 bucks retail vs DD, i'll pick the copy with a box.

Back