PC/hardware inventory management software?

t_ski

Supreme [H]ardness
I work in a health center that has about 1500 workstations and about 200 printers. I'm looking for options on software that can keep track of the hardware we have, and it would be great if this can be used to keep track of decomissioned hardware as well. The bad part is our current methods are a mix of speadsheets and Access databases.

The best thing I have found so far has been a custom query that checks SCCM for hardware info of each machine. However, after I get that I have to manually sort through it to pull out the relevant data I need to planning upgrades, etc.

Any thoughts?

Have you looked at Spiceworks, I don't rate it personally, but a lot of people really like it.

Wrong area, would a mod please move?

I have used Spiceworks before and outside the ads found in tolerable.

We use a software called "Passport" by ASAP Systems.

www.asapsystems.com

Although not the best out there we felt it was better than A LOT of other solutions for physical asset inventory and management.
We are currently tracking about 6,000 assets.

Wrong area, would a mod please move?

I have used Spiceworks before and outside the ads found in tolerable.

Not sure what area this should have been in, so I thought this might be the best choice. Apparantly, you know better than I do.

I've heard of Spiceworks, but it's been about 4-5 years. I thought all they did back then was the help desk stuff. Anyway, the big arguement about them before was open-source and community support not being the kind of solution we were interestd in. I guess what we need is more of an "enterprise-class" solution.

If the wiki article on Spiceworks is up to date and accurate, they'll only manage up to 1000 network devices anyway. We could need 2000+ with growth.

You are in the network gallery section, the threads in this section are picture threads (hardware, networks,...) try to move backwards to the Networking and Security section, you will get more awnsers.

We use Lansweeper and it works good. It will inventory hardware, and software of every computer. With the paid version you can do a lot of custom reports. The report building uses sql statements, but it has a nice gui for easily making them.

Do any of you guys use it for asset tracking? Can you scan in barcodes for asset tags, serial numbers and the like? Is that part a decent function?

It looks like we have some of the functionality in this program already with SCCM, and we have SCOM which can do some more of these functions, but those licenses are on the servers only. Our SCCM guy is looking at MS System Center Service Manager as a future rollout, but my biggest reason for this quest is asset management.

Last edited:
t_ski,
Any update on this topic?
Not looking to hijack this thread, if deemed so, this can be a new thread on it's own.

I'm also in need of an asset management for a small environment, ~175 devices, and have looked at similar threads with suggestions. None of the suggested products fully meets our criteria.

I'm looking to keep track of asset inventory, which includes both hardware, software (license keys as well), and support/warranty information. This platform should also be able to provide historical data, like all hardware and software ever purchased. So if management asks for a list of everything purchased within the past 10 years. They will receive a report of both hardware and software, and whether the particular line item is still in use or has been recycled, etc.

Would also like for the platform to be able to keep track of software licenses and usage. For instance, you have a volume license of MS Office 2013 for 10 copies, the software should be able to report how many of the 10 copies are currently in use and by which machines. This aspect can either be automated or manually updated, don't care as long as it has the capability to track the information.

I'm currently using KeePass for managing credentials stored in a database file. Access to this DB file is password encrypted and is on the file server. I like this setup and would prefer an asset management tool similar to the KeePass access. The solutions that others have suggested are mostly web-based, requiring a web server, which I do not want to manage.

Any out of the box suggestions that fit my description?
TIA

No, unfortunately, I have no updates on this. I was looking into this before Christmas when my schedule was light as a possible future project, but since the first of the year I haven't even had time to breathe at work. I think a lot of your needs are similar to mine, but the quantities are slightly less.

I know SCCM does reporting and can be used to run a report of how many computers have a certain software package, software version, hardware type, etc. I personally find the canned reports lacking and often look for custom reports to get what I need.

I was part of a roll-out of OCS inventory NG, but left before it was completed. Might be worth a look.

We used the old OCS inventory about 5-6 years ago, and it has not been a positive thing in others' eyes. We had issues with it bogging down the network, and complaints of it installing on computers that were on the network but that did not belong to us (renters, so to speak).

I would recommend Lansweeper (used it earlier, all devices - snmp\wmi) and Trogon Network Inventory (windows computers through WMI)

Really? What is with the Necro's the past couple of days? Are ya'll just really drunk?

Back