PC + Harman Kardon AVR247 + 5.1 + what sound card?

jbrukardt

[H]ard|Gawd
For years, ive had an auzentech prelude, running a single optical toslink to my AVR-247 receiver, which then outputs to my home theater 5.1 system. This works... ok. I get Dolby Connect, and the 5.1 transfers, but every once in a while my card screetches terribly, makes me deaf, and drops the audio for 3 minutes.

On top of that, im tired of running hacked drivers on modern OSes.

With my current receiver, whats my best bet for getting audio over to the receive with plans to output it to 5.1? New sound card? Audio over HDMI from my GTX460?

Gaming/Movies usage. Looking for highest quality audio.

HDMI should offer the best quality plus more bandwidth that optical for all the fancy multichannel effects

HDMI will be technically superior to compressed dolby digital live over toslink. More importantly, and certainly more listenably beneficial, you can ditch the screetching sound card.

Your best bet for sound quality is to get the digital signal out of the computer. Use the onboard sound card on the motherboard if you have one. Get the signal to a sound processor outside of your PC & all of the signal interferences.

There is no reason to have a sound card that is going to pass the signal along and degrade the quality while doing so. Your external receiver will make better use of the digital signal that comes straight from the source rather than being transmitted through a sound card. Save your money for better quality components.

Agreed aboved sound over hdmi no sound card needed. Thats how i have my htpc to my denon single 1 cord.

Last edited:
Back