PC not posting, not even a beep. PLEASE help!

talon64

Weaksauce
I just built a new computer with an asus a8n-sli non deluxe, 1 gig corsair ram, antec 500w psu, 6800 gs. Now I know for a fact the psu and vid card both work perfectly in my dell. I reseated the cpu, everything is connected correctly. What's the problem?

also, when you say not posting, is ANYTHING happening? fans spinning up?

From what I read on the forums all mobos should boot up with the opteron and it would just report the cpu incorrectly. The fans and HD spin up, but no beeps and no screen. I used an esd strap and everything, last week I built a pc with an asus p4 board and used my dell parts and it stopped posting too. I'm getting stressed now.

Do you have a spare psu handy? Try clearing CMOS.

another weird thing, remove the video card, then power the system on, is there beeps now?

try putting the ram in different slots?

I removed the vid card, still no beeps. installed 1 stock of ram in the wrong slot with vid card removed and got 3 beeps. put vid card back in, still no beeps. cleared cmos, 1 long and two short. then tried again and still no beeps.. Removed mobo and reinstalled. no help.

talon64 said:
I removed the vid card, still no beeps. installed 1 stock of ram in the wrong slot with vid card removed and got 3 beeps. put vid card back in, still no beeps. cleared cmos, 1 long and two short. then tried again and still no beeps.. Removed mobo and reinstalled. no help.

Ram in wrong slot? what does this mean? if 1 stick of ram is installed, with no video you get 3 beeps? does your video card require a 4pin plower/pci-e plug?

after clearing cmos 1 long 2 short, and when you reset the beeps are gone? (is this what you are trying to say?)

locate the manuel and figure out what these beep codes mean

The manual says put ram in b1 and a1 slots. i put the ram in b2. I'm not sure what I was trying to say, it beeps when it wants basically. The vid card power is plugged in.

talon64 said:
The manual says put ram in b1 and a1 slots. i put the ram in b2. I'm not sure what I was trying to say, it beeps when it wants basically. The vid card power is plugged in.

for now, run with 1 ram stick in until you get things running.

if it beeps sometimes, then silent others; even with the same setup, there is definetly something wrong. make sure this is the case, if it is, you might be looking at a bad apple (the motherboard).

I guess i'm going to have to rma the board, nothing seems to work. Newegg doesn't rma the board, it has to go through asus damn it. this is going to take forever. i don't know what else to do, i'm just mad now.

are you trying to boot with PC3200?
use PC2100 or PC2700.

i had the same problem with 2 Deluxe board, it HAD to be booted up with older memory until I got everything all setup.

Calm down. Strip it back to barebones.

That means you have processor and fan connected, the front panel connectors attched to mobo, the vid card fitted and a single stick of RAM. NOTHING ELSE!

(Nothing else, by the way, means that all other cards are removed and that both power and data cables are disconnected from drives. No front usb headers or other such cables attached either.)

Does the system POST in that configuration? Reset CMOS and try ;)

Catweazle said:
Calm down. Strip it back to barebones.

That means you have processor and fan connected, the front panel connectors attched to mobo, the vid card fitted and a single stick of RAM. NOTHING ELSE!

(Nothing else, by the way, means that all other cards are removed and that both power and data cables are disconnected from drives. No front usb headers or other such cables attached either.)

Does the system POST in that configuration? Reset CMOS and try ;)

Thanks for the help guys, but that didn't work either.

Im like 75% sure that DOA things from newegg can be RMA'd. Call them and find out.

A came across a motherboard once which seemed completely DOA at first no matter what I did. Turned out it'd been shipped with the 'Clear CMOS' jumper in the 'short' position rather than in the operating position. I simply overlooked it because it wasn't something I'd ever expect I'd need to check.

Check the little things you'd ordinarily assume are going to be OK before assuming that the board is dead :)

domoMKIV said:
are you trying to boot with PC3200?
use PC2100 or PC2700.

i had the same problem with 2 Deluxe board, it HAD to be booted up with older memory until I got everything all setup.

I was postive it was the motherboard, I mean if both stocks of ram that are supposed to be supported by this motherboard didn't work then it shouldn't be a problem. But, I did what you said, went to my parents house and grabbed a stock of ram from their pc, put it in and it works!!!! Thank you soo much and everyone else too. I'm soo freakin happy now. :)

talon64 said:
I was postive it was the motherboard, I mean if both stocks of ram that are supposed to be supported by this motherboard didn't work then it shouldn't be a problem. But, I did what you said, went to my parents house and grabbed a stock of ram from their pc, put it in and it works!!!! Thank you soo much and everyone else too. I'm soo freakin happy now. :)

yay!

what a great feeling when you get something like that resolved.

talon64 said:
glad you got it......im not sure why Asus is having that problem though, its annoying and ridiculous.

Back