PC not starting

Qonfused

Weaksauce
I was just playng a couple rounds of CSS and my PC freezes up. No big deal and I manually shut it off. I go to turn it back on again and ... nothing.

Here's what I've ruled out:

The PSU is getting power. (See below)
The motherboard is getting power. (The MB green light is coming on. When I flip the switch on the back of the PSU, it goes off. So I know the MB and PSU is getting power.)

Also something interesting is that when I was messing around with all the wires, I unplugged the main bunch of wires from the PSU to the MB and plugged with back in. Everything, for a split second, came on -- the fans light up, etc. and then promptly shut off.

What concerns me is that the PWRSW plug is loose on the MB. I could have a faulty wire. Is there anyway to ... "jump-start" the computer to make it turn on? Any suggestions? Will, if the problem isn't fixed, I need to buy a new case?

The connecter is loose? Take a picture and explain.

I'm not able to upload a picture on this PC.

The connector is loose... meaning it wiggles back and forth like maybe the connectors inside are loose or broken. I unplug the RESETSW connector and plug it back in and it feels very snug while the PWRSW connector feels loose and wiggly. I can move it back and forth on the pins.

I think I know what you mean.

Are you saying that the wires for your power switch are loose on the mobo header?

If that's the case, take them off and use a screwdriver or some other peice of metal to cross those two and only those two poles. That will start up your compy.

If that still doesn't fix the issue, I would say to swap out your PS as the next troubleshooting step. It sounds like it's weak and just doesn't have enough capacity to provide the mobo what it needs to fire up.

I doubt it's the PSU. It's only 2 months old (Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W).

But more on the screwdriver thing. How would I do this? Still kinda confused on your post.

/slap

never assume that. Even Antec ships a bad PSU every once and a while. Besides, do you know what UPS did to it during shipping?

Swap it before you rule it out.

Use the tip of a flat head screw driver to make a connection between the two pins on the mobo header for your power button.

11-fp_power_sw.jpg

I'm talking about these connections. I'd be kind of hard to use a screwdriver to do what you're saying. I also don't have a "extra" PSU to swap. I'll try the screwdriver thing again. If I can just get it running, I can work from there.

even if it wiggles (ur switch connection) as long as the legs are not torn out, it'd still function properly. now the question is your PSU, yest it can send power to the mobo as the green led on the mobo lits up. but what if there isn't enough power to get it running? even antec, EVEN seasonic, EVEN PC power and cooling... seasonic and pc power and cooling are rated w/ 80% efficiency can have faulty psu's.

So you're pretty set that it's my PSU? I can understand a faulty PSU but would suddenly go out? Wouldn't I see declining effects or do they normally just poof? Would it have to do with me shutting it off by flipping the switch on the back while the PC is running?

so wut do you expect for the PSU to do to go out? give you 500 watts today then the next day 450 watts then the next day 400 watts then 350 watts then 300 watts and so on and then die? it's either it went crap on you or no. Get another PSU and plug it in to rule out PSU. until we can rule PSu out, my best bet is on PSU.

I'm ordering a new PSU from Newegg. I guess I'll just buy it now and if it isn't the PSU, I'll just sell it off.

Back