PC shuts down but fans wont stop

at_viper

Limp Gawd
Ok guys/gals I moved my system back home and wanted to upgrade my 90mm case fans to 120mm case fans. I also installed a spot cool fan. The computer ran great before i moved it and got home. I had to move my 8800GTS from pcie 1 to pcie 2 and had to install the video drivers for that again. Now my system will shut down (I hear the harddrives and cd drives turn off) but ALL the fans stay on. (never turn off no mater what length of time) I did re-seat the north bridge heatsink with new thermal paste. Quite the simple task and I dont believe I screwed it up. The computer does boot up and runs windows fine. (Windows XP Pro 64bit FRESH COPY installed yesterday)

"What I did" recap:
Re-seated the NB heatsink
Move 8800GTS form pcie1 to pcie2

Problem recap:
PC shuts down but fans stay running

Things I've done:
Re-installed XP pro 64
Moved 8800GTS back to pcie1
Checked everywhere for a short or unwanted connection
Cleared CMOS

Any help you can give would be GREATLY APPRECIATED! I will be online waiting for reply's and will answer quickly.
2 gb's OCZ Gold (667hz)
2 gb's Ultra (667hz)
8800GTS 320mb
Hiper 580watt psu
4 120mm Case Fans
w/ 3x thermaltake speed controls (pci) NEW
1 spot cool fan
Xigmatek HDT-S1283

check to see if the sleep mode in the bios is set to S3 mode or some will show it as S3/S4 mode.. a lot of boards default to S1 sleep mode..

My board is set to S1, I have set it to S3 and nothing changes. Which should it be set on?

should be on S3.. that would pretty much be the only thing that would cause it not to go to sleep fully.. have you tried letting the system sit for a few minutes after it goes to sleep mode just to see if the fans shut off and its not some safety feature in the bios to keep them running for a few minutes?

Do you have a way to check your temps? Maybe try to re-reseat your northbridge and make sure that there isn't something causing it to get hot?

id also like to know a solution for this, my computer was fine before but all of the sudden this exact thing happened to me.

im also on a dfi board, but x58, and i also changed the thermal paste on my northbridge although i doubt that has anything to do with it.

temps on the northbridge are fine.

sorry to double post but i think i found the solution, at least for me it works, hopefully it will for you too.

after searching around the dficlub forums i found this:

http://csd.dficlub.org/forum/showpost.php?p=83017&postcount=26

"All I had to do is to go the Genie BIOS settings > Voltage Settings >and set the O.C. Shut Down Free to Disable O.C.S.D.F"

everything is back to normal for me

good luck

I have switched to S3 and nothing changes. I have let the computer site for HOURS and the fans continue to run.

Temps are fine because windows functions normally and works 100% I just cant fully shutdown

Vertigomhs
I have tried to fine that setting in my bios and cant! I wish I could because as you know this problem is quite annoying. Could you maybe take a few screenshots of the bios menus on how to get to that particular setting. Ill check again and see what i can find in the mean time.

Thank you to all, for the help

Do you have another power supply to try? If not pull the 24 pin connector and make sure all the pins are correctly inserted and reinstall.

Update Vertigohms!
I do not have a voltage settings under genie bios or anywhere for that matter, I also dont have a O.C. Shut Down Free to Disable O.C.S.D.F anywhere.

Curlysir:
I have used many power supplys and continue to get the same problem.

all that stuff is controlled by the motherboard. if none of the previous solutions worked then it is bad
or maybe there is some issue drawing power from the +5VSB line

I had this same problem with an old gigabyte 680i board.. it was a ram problem on that board, I had to load each bios they had out at the time until I found one that was compatible ...try different ram or try one stick & see if it helps

Take out the motherboard battery for a day and clear the cmos. Not sure if it will work but worth a try.

Clearly your board doesn't like the video card in that slot and I assume that you can't move it to the first one due to the northbridge sink. I would update the bios on the board and see if that helps.

well i looked for a review of your board and i found this screenshot of your BIOS:

http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2009/02/dfi-lanparty-dk-790fx-b-review/bios3.jpg

you have this screen right? i dont see any voltage settings but it is labeled genie BIOS, and there are two options that are similar to what i mentioned earlier, try messing around with the OC Fail CMOS Reload and disable it or enable; i doubt they are the same as to what my problem was, but it wouldnt hurt to try.

EDIT: here are some more screens that im finding:

http://www.modreactor.com/images/stories/reviews/dfi_lp_dk_790fxb_m2rsh/bios_1.jpg

genie bios on the top right.

Back