PC won't boot up after memory module was installed

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR21N15D8_8.pdf

I installed the above Kingston module to this Gigabyte motherboard

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370M-D3H-rev-10/sp#sp

the Kingston module is from my PC moving to the above PC. I have been using the above Kingston KVR21N15D8 module at least 1 yr. So I know it works

the motherboard has 4 slot, slot 1 (DDR4_1) has always been occupied by another Kingston Hyper X , 4 GB module, at 2400MHz

So I install the KVR21N15D8 at DDR_2, and the PC won't boot up. I then try DDR4_3 slot, same thing.

any advice?

did you rtfm? says channel a is slots 2 and 4, try those. if it still does boot, try the "new" stick by itself(in 2).

what's rtfm? you mean re-sit?

I already pair them in 1 chnl. As mentioned abovce, the chnl. are color code, so I put the KVR21N15D8 in 2, which is chnl. a, and it doesn't boot. Then I try put KVR21N15D8 in a new chnl., still no boot. But I did not pull out the old 2400 Hyper X and just try the KVR21N15D8

I already pair them in 1 chnl. As mentioned abovce, the chnl. are color code, so I put the KVR21N15D8 in 2, which is chnl. a, and it doesn't boot. Then I try put KVR21N15D8 in a new chnl., still no boot. But I did not pull out the old 2400 Hyper X and just try the KVR21N15D8

It stands for Read the fucking manual. Did you try resetting the bios to default and start from there? Do you have other ram installed and trying to add these? If you're trying to use these with the HyperX it's either not going to play together nicely together or you're going to have to set the ram speed\timings to match the lower speed valueram and that might work if you're lucky. And if you're talking about single ram stick and not a pair. Do a little more research!

Last edited:

are you trying to use only the new stick? its not clear in your op and i assumed youre adding it(2 sticks). if so and it wont boot with only the "new" stick, you need to clear the bios as mentioned above by john.

I never have to reset the bios when I add new memory on any motherboard. And all the motherboard I upgrade is the same, I make sure they use the Gigabyte Ultra durable. why would I need to do that?

The motherboard has the old stick, I am simply adding an extra stick.

I never have to reset the bios when I add new memory on any motherboard. And all the motherboard I upgrade is the same, I make sure they use the Gigabyte Ultra durable. why would I need to do that?

The motherboard has the old stick, I am simply adding an extra stick.
yeah yeah but you cant figure this out...
try my previous suggestion then
if it still does boot, try the "new" stick by itself(in 2).

I just went thru the manual, it's the exact same manual that I read and install in the past:, on p9

Installing the Memory
Read the following guidelines before you begin to install the memory:
••
Make sure that the motherboard supports the memory. It is recommended that memory of the same capacity, brand, speed, and chips be used.
(Go to GIGABYTE's website for the latest supported memory speeds and memory modules.)
••
Always turn off the computer and unplug the power cord from the power outlet before installing the memory to prevent hardware damage.
••
Memory modules have a foolproof design. A memory module can be installed in only one direction. If you are unable to insert the memory, switch the direction.

Dual Channel Memory Configuration
This motherboard provides four memory sockets and supports Dual Channel Technology. After the memory is installed, the BIOS will automatically detect the specifications and capacity of the memory. Enabling Dual Channel memory mode will double the original memory bandwidth.
Update: just read the BIOS update, they actually has bugs on Kingston memory, and it says a firmware update will fix it. That's a new one, a motherboard not compatible w/ kingston memory. Good one

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/H370M-D3H-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Last edited:
I just recently went through a similar experience adding another 16G (2x8G) of DDR4 ECC RAM for 4 sticks total to an Asus Crosshair VI Hero mainboard. The only way I could get the system to boot after installation was to have the power supply itself turned off/unplugged and wait a couple of minutes for all residual power to fade completely out. Shutting the computer down prior to installation was not enough... it had to have no power to it at all. Only then would it do the "long" boot up process and correctly detect the RAM on the board.

update: fix it. In the end, surprisingly, it really is the firmware. This is the 1st time I need to flash the BIOS in order to install new memory. I have install extra memory on the very same series from gigabytes for many years, the Ultra Durable series, never need to flash BIOS until now. I install back the very same module that does not work last week, and this time, it works fine

well, I only use Kingston Hyper X. When the gigabyte Ultra Durable series is out, they should have tested their motherboard w/ Kingston, being 1 of the most popular brand. And the past chip set from this series: They have. Until this H370H is out.

Back