PC won't post?!

miochza

Weaksauce
Today, on my 7 month old rig (in sig) I installed a new version of Quicktime Alternative. Although a pain, I decide I will actually let the computer restart. So I restart it, and it hangs at the "Detected USB hubs" on my post screen, so I restart it. Brings up the "Overvoltage failed" and I pressed F2 to load default values. It starts loading Windows, and I decide I want to change around settings in my BIOS, so I hard restart it. Fans start running, no video on the screen, no POST beep. So I take it out, Clear the CMOS for 5 minutes, doesn't help. I take the graphics card out and move it to the other PCI express slot, nothing. Take one of my sticks of RAM out and switch them around, nothing. What else can I do? And how would absolutely no hardware change result in a hardware failure?

well in some Asus mobos u not only have to short the clear cmos jumper, u also have to remove the battery, check your manual for the correct procedure.

btw I´m not installing Quicktime Alternative anytime soon :D

Sounds like the motherboard is dead. It doesn't hurt to make sure the power supply is ok, even though the symptoms you described don't sound like a PS problem. Were you doing anything weird with your USB devices?

Pull out everything except the graphics card and one memory stick and see if you can get it to post.

Got it remedied. One of my sticks of RAM was bad. Anyone know how well OCZ is on their lifetime warranty?

Right now I am running on 1 stick(the good stick in the first slot) and it runs fine. I tried this stick in combination with the other stick, in 2nd, 3rd and 4th slots, nothing worked. One weird thing though, the combination of slots 1 and 2 brought me to the P5W DH splash screen, then froze. So then I ran this "bad" stick in the (confirmed working) first slot without the "good" stick, and it wouldn't post. Pretty much confirms that the "bad" stick is indeed borked. Really weird though that it would randomly die after a restart.

My voltages for the PSU are: 3.31V , 5.27V, 12.46V. It is less than a year old, and would using two sticks of memory really draw that much more power from the PSU to not make it post?

My voltages for the PSU are: 3.31V , 5.27V, 12.46V. It is less than a year old, and would using two sticks of memory really draw that much more power from the PSU to not make it post?

No, but what else would cause a stick of ram to go bad besides power fluctuations and physical defects?

How do you go about checking the power supply? The only way I know is to software monitor the voltage, which is how I got those voltage numbers in my earlier post.

pickup a psu tester and a multimeter... oh, and a paperclip. then google for "paperclip psu test"

Back