PC Won't Sleep, Constant HDD Activity

Deeky

Gawd
Yesterday, all of the sudden, my PC decides it no longer wants to fall asleep after 30 minutes of idle (my setting in Power Options, Windows 7 64-bit). It'll sleep if I hit the power button (again, as per my Power Option settings) but it won't sleep on it's own.

The hard drive activity light is flashing at a relatively regular interval, and the HDDs refuse to shut down unless I force sleep. I can't seem to find a process causing it, I haven't added anything recently at the hardware or software level.

Any thoughts?

First, have you tried warm milk? might help with the sleeping disorder :p

Check your BIOS settings, check your Power Options (control panel) and redefine what power buttons do.

I had a problem like this once, I update the mobo BIOS and it went away

Thanks for the response!

I've been tempted to pour something through the top mounted 120mm fan. Warm milk is a contender. :D

I'll double-double-check the BIOS settings, but I'm fairly sure they're kosher. EDIT: Hmm. BIOS sleep setting is AUTO. Must've forgot to reset it to S3 following a cleared CMOS. Wonder if that's my problem?

I've been messing around with the Power Options in control panel, tweaking various sleep-related settings, but nothing seems to help. It's odd. It'll go to sleep by itself for weeks at a time and suddenly, without warning or provocation, it'll decide it's had enough. I can force sleep myself with the case power button or reboot, after which it's usually fine. Still. It's strange.

The sleep problems seem tied to memory running at 1.65v. It's been suggested that I bump Vtt/IMC a few notches to see if that evens things out. No harm, might give it a try. EDIT: Huh. Nevermind. I got lazy and had the XMP profile temporarily enabled, which bumped the QPI (Vtt) to 1.4v. I've disabled XMP and manually inputed 1.35v.

I'm currently on BIOS 1002 with my P6X58D Premium, though it seems an update was released on November 9th to 1201. "Improve system stability". Definitely worth a flash.

Last edited:
Back