PCI Card doesnt fit?

Edman22

Limp Gawd
Okay so I tried to transfer my hauppague pvr-350 to my new computer I built which is on a P5WDH in an antec p180b...but it won't go in all the way. Only the end that is near the front of the case (farthest from the pci opening slot in the back of the computer). The side that is adjacent to the back opening doesnt go in all the way, it is definitely protruding a good amount. I don't know what to do, I've tried different slots and its all the same. My sound card goes in fine so I know its not a problem with the slot. What should I do, I dont feel comfortable putting in a card only halfway.

Look closely to make sure the card isn't touching something on the motherboard, and that it is fitting in correctly at the back of the case. There has been a time or two where I had troubles getting a card in the slot, and noticed that the metal bracket was not going down all the way, usually hanging up on some part of the motherboard.

Dumb question, but you are sure its a PCI card, right?

yea im positive it's a tv tuner win-tv pvr-350. I took it out of a previous computer I had. I've tried to check if it's getting caught on something but it doesn't seem to be. It's very strange. I've even taken out my sound card and tried it in that slot and it fits so nothing is wrong with the pci slot itself.

I drew a little diagram but I don't know how to post it....

Problem is I have tried pressing really hard. I've installed many devices, pci and otherwise before, and I've never had to press this hard so I'm reluctant. Everything else seems to go in fine, except for this card (so I know my technique probably isn't the culprit either...) So I'm a little stuck on what to do.

You could remove the metal backplate (usually two screws on the back of the PCB) and install it 'naked.' The backplate could be bent slightly, but I think you'd notice that.

Last idea, something is stuck in the pci slot.

You are trying to fit it in the white pci slots, not a pci-express slot, right? ;)

I've had this problems a few times. There are little slots in the motherboard tray that help keep the bottoms of the brackets stable. Yours could be just barely bent so that is stills clears the motherboard, but not the motherboard tray. Try bending the bracket in or out just a hair and see if it helps.

yea ill try taking off the bracket and seeing if it fits...and no im not trying to install in a pci-e slot lol.

Okay i took off the bracket and the card fit perfectly, so it was definitely a problem with the bracket. It wasn't bent, but for some reason, given the angle, bending it helped me fit it in correctly so now everything hooks up great. Thanks guys.

Back