PCI-e 8x limits

Hexen525

Limp Gawd
Hi again all. What kind of limits can I expect using a Radeon 5870 in a PCI-e 8x slot instead of a 16x slot?

My Corsair H70 water cooler's radiator blocks my top PCI-e 16x slot so I dropped my card down 1 slot (MSI 790FX-GD70 mobo). Well, I just found out that this slot is an 8x slot. I have 4 PCI-e slots on my mobo. They are arranged 16-8-16-8 (there is a 1x mixed in there too, irrelavent). In the other 16x slot is my GeForce 8800GTX PhysX card. And if I drop both cards down 1 slot (so the Radeon is in the 16x and the GeForce is in the bottom 8x) I will lose my front USB header plugs, thus my front USBs on my case.

Thanx all.

I think the HardOCP crew tested this out not too long ago and saw very, very little difference. I wouldn't worry about it.

I saw some older articles using much weaker cards than mine or other modern cards. I was wondering what it affected now.

the difference between 8x and 16x currently is about 1-3% performance.

Even with stronger card like radeon 6990 pci-e 8x 2.0 will not make any noticable difference. Evenyou can put 8800gtx for physx on pci-e 4x slot and it should be fine :)

K, thanx all. I was kinda worried. And it wasn't like I am playing any games now I was playing before the swap so I could not use in game as a referance point.

Back