pci express 2.0

genetech

Limp Gawd
I have been seeing a lot of pci express 2.0 cards coming out and have been wondering if they work on the 1.1 boards. Also what is the advantage of pci express 2.0 over the other versions they are still x16 rated.

I have been seeing a lot of pci express 2.0 cards coming out and have been wondering if they work on the 1.1 boards. Also what is the advantage of pci express 2.0 over the other versions they are still x16 rated.

PCI-E 2.0 is fully backwards compatible (so 2.0 cards work in 1.1 boards just fine). The speed doubled (I think), but it doesn't really matter for video cards.

Just don't buy anything like 3870x2 or faster. PCIe1.1 seems to be a bottleneck. It really sucks since I just built a new PC.

Got any links to back that up? I haven't seen anyone talking about being bus-limited...

I have heard the same thing, I haven't read any reviews, its not make or break with pcie 2.0, but its like when we went from 8x8 SLi to 16x16, their was a few% increase.

pciE 2.0 isn't a full 2x faster than 1.1 (one direction has a higher thruput than the other)

pciE 2.0 can also provide 150w of power thru the slot up from 75w of 1.1.

Got any links to back that up? I haven't seen anyone talking about being bus-limited...
Agreed, and I may have even read from one of the reviews in effect to the contrary. At this point, I don't think it will make much of a difference.

There is also from what i have seen the 2.0 motherboards are just now coming out and i guess the review guys have not actually had a chance to test the 2.0 cards on the full version 2.0 MB

Just don't buy anything like 3870x2 or faster. PCIe1.1 seems to be a bottleneck. It really sucks since I just built a new PC.

Actually, as I'm thinking about this, as long as it is a single card setup it won't matter. The 3870X2 transfers data between GPUs via an onboard bridge chip, not via the PCI-E slot, so the only chance of hitting any sort of bottleneck whatsoever that I can think of would be tri-SLI on a PCI-E 1.1 board...

I would like to see someone reputable like {H] test this card on a P35 mobo to see if there is any difference. Everyone is testing them on X38 mobos.

Actually, as I'm thinking about this, as long as it is a single card setup it won't matter. The 3870X2 transfers data between GPUs via an onboard bridge chip, not via the PCI-E slot, so the only chance of hitting any sort of bottleneck whatsoever that I can think of would be tri-SLI on a PCI-E 1.1 board...

True but you also got to remember that you are still having to deal with bandwidth consumption of two GPUs. even though they are 1 card the cores are still seperate so they will still consume the same bandwidth as a cross fire setup.

And as for TRI-SLI i can't even see that going any where people would have to sacrifice so many add in cards to do so. Physics and sound cards would be the primary users of the pci slots that get covered by them.

Some people Have been saying that with a TRI-SLI setup they have had to remove their physics cards and sound cards and depend on the on-board sound chip. which lacks most current audio features put into most modern games such as the EAX advanced HD sound effects.

Motherboards just do not have the space to accommodate all the cards with that kind of setup.

True but you also got to remember that you are still having to deal with bandwidth consumption of two GPUs. even though they are 1 card the cores are still seperate so they will still consume the same bandwidth as a cross fire setup.

No, because you are still eliminating the core-to-core communications, which I'm fairly sure is the largest usage of bandwidth in an SLI/CF setup. Video RAM will store things like textures, so the CPU<->GPU communications are going to be relatively small, and will be mostly things like camera goes here, object moves there, etc...

I would like to see someone reputable like {H] test this card on a P35 mobo to see if there is any difference. Everyone is testing them on X38 mobos.

i think p35 is the model of board and x38 is the chipset installed onto it which would be an intel chipset. any way i would say they test this on one of the asus p5e3 boards i have read the review they gave the board and it shows that it has a lot of power behind it and it is PCI-e 2.0 compliant. also it comes in ddr2 and ddr3 models

I believe my motherboard Asus Commando P964 has a PCIE 16X which is just a PCIE 1.0 not even 1.1

What motherboard chipsets even have a 1.1 seriously???

P35 and X38 are both chipsets and it doesn't make all that much of a difference maybe ~5.
EDIT: All mobos except 790FX/X, 780i and X38 have PCI-e 1.1

i think p35 is the model of board and x38 is the chipset installed onto it which would be an intel chipset. any way i would say they test this on one of the asus p5e3 boards i have read the review they gave the board and it shows that it has a lot of power behind it and it is PCI-e 2.0 compliant. also it comes in ddr2 and ddr3 models

ORLY? :rolleyes:

Both P35 and X38 are separate Intel chipsets; look at this PC Perspective article for a discussion about the whole line of Intel chipsets of that generation.

BTW, the P5E3 board is a X38 motherboard with only DDR3 memory...that's what the '3' means. The DDR2 equivalent is the plain P5E. Lots of other manufacturers have identical models with only the type of memory different too: Gigabyte's GA-X38-DQ6 (DDR2) vs GA-X38T-DQ6 (DDR3), MSI P35 Platinum (DDR2) vs MSI P35D3 Platinum (DDR3), and so on.

And any P35 motherboard will only be PCI-E 1.1, and any X38 will be PCI-E 2.0. That's the responsibility of the chipset.

OK, class dismissed, quiz on Wednesday. :p

And any P35 motherboard will only be PCI-E 1.1, and any X38 will be PCI-E 2.0. That's the responsibility of the chipset.

OK, class dismissed, quiz on Wednesday. :p

so any moltherboard w/ PCI-E before P35 is PCI-E 1.0 correct? which isn't comaptible with 2.0?

so any moltherboard w/ PCI-E before P35 is PCI-E 1.0 correct? which isn't comaptible with 2.0?

Looks like you need to go back to school to learn some reading comprehension. First, it is PCI-E 1.1, not 1.0. Second, as has already been stated, PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible - its a bit like USB 1.1 and 2.0 (just not as drastic of a speed bump).

I didn't know myself, so I Googled a bit, and came up with this list of chipsets with their corresponding PCI-E version. It's in Dutch, but you should still be able to decipher the table half-way down just fine. ;)

It looks like pretty much all PCI-E slots that aren't 1.1 or 2.0 are 1.0a; not sure what happened to 1.0 vanilla. Reports from other people on the forum is that the PCI-E 2.0 graphics cards work just fine on nForce4 chipsets, which are most assuredly 1.0a, not 1.1, so most PCI-E 1.0a motherboards should be fine. The exception is VIA chipsets; there have been reports of problems on those!

Looks like you need to go back to school to learn some reading comprehension. First, it is PCI-E 1.1, not 1.0. Second, as has already been stated, PCI-E 2.0 is backwards compatible - its a bit like USB 1.1 and 2.0 (just not as drastic of a speed bump).

Grow up. You said this:
And any P35 motherboard will only be PCI-E 1.1,
I was speaking about the motherboards before the P35 clearly. PCI-e 1.1 is fairly new I believe. and the 965P and 975 intel chipsets do not have it i also believe, they have the 1.0a believe. Does anyone have any info on these hardware changes for compatibility, i know the difference between them all, just not what goes with what. I would like to know if i need to buy a new mobo before i but a 9800GT in the future.

I didn't know myself, so I Googled a bit, and came up with this list of chipsets with their corresponding PCI-E version. It's in Dutch, but you should still be able to decipher the table half-way down just fine. ;)

It looks like pretty much all PCI-E slots that aren't 1.1 or 2.0 are 1.0a; not sure what happened to 1.0 vanilla. Reports from other people on the forum is that the PCI-E 2.0 graphics cards work just fine on nForce4 chipsets, which are most assuredly 1.0a, not 1.1, so most PCI-E 1.0a motherboards should be fine. The exception is VIA chipsets; there have been reports of problems on those!

Sweet, hopefully the the 9800GT wont get bogged down by the PCI-E 1.0a bandwidth!
Thanks farfromhome!:)

I really would like to see some numbers on how close the PCI Express 1.1bus is to being saturated with current cards. I am thinking of building a new box around the Abit IP-35 Pro, but really want to be able to upgrade cards for a long time to come without worrying about swapping boards. X38 is tempting, but most of those boards seem to run HOT and are quite a bit more expensive & finicky.

Grow up. You said this:

Er, no I didn't. farfromhome did.

I was speaking about the motherboards before the P35 clearly. PCI-e 1.1 is fairly new I believe. and the 965P and 975 intel chipsets do not have it i also believe, they have the 1.0a believe. Does anyone have any info on these hardware changes for compatibility, i know the difference between them all, just not what goes with what. I would like to know if i need to buy a new mobo before i but a 9800GT in the future.

http://www.pcisig.com/news_room/faqs/pcie2.0_faq/
Q5: Then PCIe 2.0 must be backward compatible with PCIe 1.1 and 1.0?
A5: Yes. The PCIe Base 2.0 specification supports both the 2.5GT/s and 5GT/s signaling technologies. A device designed to the PCIe Base 2.0 specification may support 2.5GT/s, 5GT/s or both. However, a device designed to operate specifically at 5GT/s must also support 2.5GT/s signaling. The PCIe Base specification covers chip-to-chip topologies on the system board. For I/O extensibility across PCIe connectors, the Card Electromechanical (CEM) and ExpressModule™ specifications will also need to be updated, but this work will not impact mechanical compatibility of the slots, cards or modules. Currently, the PCI-SIG is defining the PCIe CEM 2.0 specification which has been released to members for review at v0.5. There are currently no plans to adapt the PCIe Mini CEM specification for the faster bit rate as the market need has not yet materialized.

PCI-Express 2.0 is NO FASTER AT ALL than 1.1a.

No, PCI-E 2.0 is twice as fast as PCI-E 1.x. That is not in dispute, nor in doubt. It's just that current graphics cards aren't even close to saturating PCI-E 1.x, much less PCI-E 2.0. And that was on purpose too, just like how AGP 8x came out when AGP 4x was not even close to being saturated. It's so that enough PCI-E 2.0 motherboards will be out there by the time graphics cards can use the extra bandwidth. If PCI-E 2.0 came out the same day as the NVIDIA GeForce 15800 GTX, you know there would be tons of irate people complaining about having to buy a new motherboard just to take advantage of the new graphics card.

Sweet, hopefully the the 9800GT wont get bogged down by the PCI-E 1.0a bandwidth!
Thanks farfromhome!:)

Glad to be of service. :) There is no difference in bandwidth between PCI-E 1.0a and PCI-E 1.1, just other differences to improve compatability/efficiency/etc... There shouldn't be any problem in the next couple years (just my guesstimate there) of any normal graphics cards being bottlenecked by the PCI-E 1.x interconnect, X2-type cards notwithstanding (the jury is still out on that one).

I don't have any "results" to back up the PCI-e 1.1 vs 2.0, but I did go to a 770 chipset from a 570SLI and I am running a HD3850 and I have not noticed a BIG increase, but it does seem my games run smoother. Not sure if it is a difference in chipsets, memory ,proc and video are all the same just a different board. I think maybe in the future it may see an increase, but as of now I am happy with not a increase in frame rates, but I am happy with the smoother frame rates.

Back