PCI Express, DDR2, 6800Ultra, no performance gain?

Blad3

Gawd
Is this true?

I mean look at doom 3 on a 4 Gb system, with the 6800Ultra PCI-E vs the AGP equivalent - there's literally a 1fps difference at 1600x1200. Is it the P4 cpu holding it back? Would the same vs two FX-53's show one to be *noticeably* better than the other?

So PCI-E and DDR2 equal no performance gain in doom3, at least not yet, which would mean no performance gain what so ever in games for at least a year, most likely?

The technology doesn't seem to be worth getting now *at all*, especially as much better hardware will be out in a year or more.

So is the above entirely true in terms of gaming?

Just because it doesn't show shit for doom3, it doesn't mean it doesn't show shit for user usage or other applications and other games.

I'm talking 100% about games.

What other games?

Some year old game that already runs very, very fast at full detail *Easily* on my current 9800xt system? Far cry runs better with PCI-E? Examples, please.

yes. and while d3 does kick some series ass, and will kick our system's in the ass, it is not the end all be all of games. remember, hl2 is yet to come, and their is alwase stalker and other upcoming games to stress our systems even more

Yes, but does PCI-E make any difference? It doesn't in doom and that's most likely the most graphically intesse game comming out in the next *year* I believe...

PCI-Express will probably not offer any serious performance boosts in gaming in the near future. Maybe in 5 years or so the story might be different.

as it stands now ddr2 is slower then ddr. ther latencys on ddr2 are too high. and we all no pci-e has really no gain over agp right now. (this will proabbly change in the future when faster cards are released.

kick@ss said:
PCI-Express will probably not offer any serious performance boosts in gaming in the near future. Maybe in 5 years or so the story might be different.

Thanks for the info.

Filter said:
as it stands now ddr2 is slower then ddr. ther latencys on ddr2 are too high. and we all no pci-e has really no gain over agp right now. (this will proabbly change in the future when faster cards are released.

Ok, noted...

every time a new AGP revision came out this same discussion happened.

"no AGP 8x isn't any faster than 4x right now. it will be in the future."

so that argument can be applied here.

no, PCI-E isn't any faster than AGP 8x right now, but it will be in the future.

a test with the ultra high Q setting comparing agp vs pci-e would show some frame differences, i hope

Ultra high? That's a good idea *however* the 6800U on a good enough processor can already run it at UQ *plus* you really need a 512mb card, not out for about 6 months, for that.

The problem is that any advantage you'd see with PCIE would be offset by having a Prescott on a 915/925 using DDR2, which are all slower than Northwood/865/DDR.

Put it to ya this way, the latest generation cards flavors ie. x800s and 6800's cant even fill up the bandwidth that 4x agp offers much less 8x agp. Simple fact is, pci is not needed for its superior bandwidth. Just another ploy to get newbs to upgrade and spend money. The only thing I can see thats nice about it, is that it will enable the use of duel graphic cards.

It's just like hard disk controllers. ATA33 / 66 / 100 / 133 / SATA 150 / etc...

Each time a new standard came out the existing drives didn't run faster. What it does is give more bandwidth BEFORE the industry gets there with HD performance and discovers they're controller limited.

Same scenario with AGP. 1x / 2x / 4x / 8x / PCI-E 16x / etc...

If your cards needs it, the bandwidth is available. Currently there's no cards in production that take full advantage of it. And before there are, we will have another new standard to make the bus even wider. The object is the keep the bus ahead of the peripheral manufacturers.

It's amazing that in all these years we havn't really had a problem with it. The standards boards are doing quite a good job.

Back