PCI Express to AGP adapter?

DKTVPN

Weaksauce
Is there anything like that? I want to upgrade an AGP mobo with a PCI Express video card if possible.

Is there anything like that? I want to upgrade an AGP mobo with a PCI Express video card if possible.

we'll get right on that after we make the following:

ISA to PCI adapter
AGP to PCI adapter

lol

honestly new MB is the way to go and that means new CPU.....

you could get the asrock board that supports both pci-e and agp. my friend has one in his closet I got for him from the egg but he never upgraded lol. It was a refurb, so should be fine. I think I paid like $30 bucks for it. I doubt he's going to use it, so if you're interested, let me know.

lets see.. adaptor.. probably going to be around 100$, considering the cost of a pci-e extender... cost of a new mother board that supports pci-e... less than 100$..hell you can get a new mobo cpu and ram for just slightly more than 100$

nope, but funny enough you can get an adapter that does the opposite:

pic link: http://www.chip.de/newsbilder/3243251_b243292ee9.jpg

only for half height cards though, and as I remember it only worked with 2 different cards. Not sure it's even possible to go the other way, there was a huge performance hit going from a PCI-E slot to an AGP card, the other way would be REALLY bandwidth limited. I think PCI-e x16 works out to AGP32x or something like that (or was it 64x?)

EDIT: you just need a videocard like this one:

http://www.cdrinfo.com/sections/news/Details.aspx?NewsId=13974

AGP now, flip it over for PCIe when you get a new mobo! Too bad it's not available with a modern GPU (actually, I don't believe it ever came out in the x800xl version either)

The above adapter is made by a company called Albatron. The type of adapter you are looking for does not exsist because there are more physical lanes in a pcie slot than an agp slot.

The type of adapter you are looking for does not exsist because there are more physical lanes in a pcie slot than an agp slot.
That doesn't matter in the slightest, and in fact, it's one of the great features of PCI Express. You can put a 1x card in a 16x slot, or a 16x card in a 1x slot, and it'll work (with reduced bandwidth in the case of the 16x card in the 1x slot).

I've run PCIe 16x cards in 4x slots before, and many older PCIe motherboards have mechanically PCIe 16x slots which are electrically 8x. The card will use however many lanes are available to it.

Back