PCIex1 4x sata controller

bobhowell

n00b
I am looking at several 939 mb to use at home with WHS. Most have 2 sata connections and have open PCIe 1 or PCI slot. I have looked at New Egg for controllers and see prices all over the place and complaints about most of the cheap ones.

Anyone have suggestions for a $15-30 card that would add 4 sata connections.

Bob

if you find a four-channel SATA PCIe card for less than $50, do post it here.I have not yet seen one.

you will have to look hard... they are getting rare. the boared in my sig vanished the day the package arrived.

i would shoot for the highpoint stuff more then $50 but i hear they are good. they are not hardware but they are assisted.

I have a bid in, at Ebay, on a Asus mATX 939 MB (A8N-VM nVidia GF 6100 )with 2 sata and 2 ide connections. It has pci and pcie1 available. I don't think I need Raid, but if $50 is what 4 additional sata connections cost, then my bid of $30 + 15 shipping is max. I happen to have an amd 939 3500+ cpu and 1 Gig mem.

Im planning to run WHS. The mb has sata 1.5 and 100mbs lan, so maybe I should ask if I could cut cost and get a pci sata controller without creating a significant bottleneck?

I made the bid last night and am now thinking I would like to lose it. A current mb with 6 or so sata connections might be a better buy. I guess it would be 3 years younger, and last that much longer.

I was outbid for the mb on eBay. Glad of it. Thanks for the info. I think I will build new sys.

Ah, I just recieved that Adaptec card from the 'Egg the other day, works great

The PCIe v PCI price probably comes down to the later form factor only having hardware raid. THe cheapo PCI raid cards have to be pure software (ie your CPU does all the work), a hardware raid card has a mini processor of its own to do all the number crunching needed for raid 5. Software raid cards probably won't switch over unless drives get much faster or ordinary PCI slots start getting hard to come by because they're slow enough that the faster bus doesn't provide a benefit.

I looked at the specs of systems being used for home servers at Lime Tech for unRaid and on AVS fourm. I now see they are using PROMISE SATA300 TX4, PCI card.($54.99 at New Egg) I guess the speed is not a bottleneck. I will get it when I run out of SATA connections.

Thanks for help,

Bob

Back