PDLC (or how to charge for a game demo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
it looks as if EA is going to release something inbetween a typical demo and the full version for around $15. I see no problem with that. It didn't say that they are stopping production of any future free demos. I suspect there will be a free demo, the premium demo that unlocks more game and features, and of course the full game.

might want to try reading the article...

People who buy this are stupid, that's for sure.

Fools and their money are easily parted these days.

People who buy this are stupid, that's for sure.

Fools and their money are easily parted these days.

I think it really depends on how they do it. Patcher is, as usual, making it out to seem like more than it probably is. The guy is wrong more times then he is right and he is about as useful as a brick wall when it comes to talking about what will and won't happen in gaming. A good example one of the articles on this made was what if DICE had used the reception of BF 1943 to make a full blown game on consoles around it. Using it that way is a good idea. A way to gauge consumer interest and needs with a good product worth $10-15 and take the feedback from it and apply it to a full game.

Smart move on their part. There are lots of foolish people who would throw down money for early access to a game they're hyped about.

But from a different marketing perspective, it's not all that different from the episodic content model that never caught on. Half-life never even had any episodes, just expansions. Only Sam n' Max, Penny Arcade, and Sin: Episodes tried it as far as I can remember. Maybe one more whose name escapes me...

I think it really depends on how they do it. Patcher is, as usual, making it out to seem like more than it probably is. The guy is wrong more times then he is right and he is about as useful as a brick wall when it comes to talking about what will and won't happen in gaming. A good example one of the articles on this made was what if DICE had used the reception of BF 1943 to make a full blown game on consoles around it. Using it that way is a good idea. A way to gauge consumer interest and needs with a good product worth $10-15 and take the feedback from it and apply it to a full game.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Truth, often begins in lies.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Truth, often begins in lies.

Patcher is just often incorrect in general. Not so much that he lies, just that he gets his predictions completely wrong. The guy is an analyst, not a reporter or company official.

but the question is, do you not think EA capable of such a thing?

I'm not saying this will or won't happen, as it is, it's just rumor and speculation.

but the question is, do you not think EA capable of such a thing?

I'm not saying this will or won't happen, as it is, it's just rumor and speculation.

I think any company is capable of doing such a thing. I'm staying objective about it until I see how they are going to do it. I'm not gonna run around screaming "fuck EA" until I have a good reason to.

Basically, they'll be charging for Beta's, or something like that.

With Bad Company 3 they'll release a PDLC pay $10 to be one of the first people to play the game and one of it's game modes with 2 maps plus extra exclusive PDLC bonuses that'll be unlocked at the final launch of the game. DICE would take in feedback to make sure the final release is good enough on release day. So that's another $50 at launch and on top of that extra $$$ for each DLC. We're starting to look at $100 + spent on a videogame to actually fully experience it in the future.

This is my interpretation of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back