Pent 3 problem...

Tech_Pro

Limp Gawd
YO homies i got a problem, accually a homie of mine does. well he has a dualie board, and he was doing something, i think installing his cpu's back or something. anyways he cant find the correct frequency Ratio for them. here is a link to the cpu's http://www.directron.com/fcpga1000.html 1000/256/133/1.75v Coppermine
and his mobo is a ga-6vtxd socket 370 dual board. he set the freq ratio to 7.5 like http://samantha.carrotware.com/default.aspx?tag=6VTXD said. but it still wont boot. what is up?

Pentium III CPUs are locked so no need to set the ratio. Anyways that doesn't even sound like the root of the problem. I have a dumb question, but you said he reinstalled the CPU. Did he happen to install it in the correct socket? (as you said it's a dual socket 370 board)

Sounds like he needs to reset the bios and let the board pick up the cpu.
Could be another setting that is hosing you up.

yeah i know, that website above explained that. we got 7.5, he put that a the jumper and still wouldnt boot.

<3 the Coppermine....

1Ghz CuMine w/ 133FSB is an outstanding CPU. I wish I still had one...

Yeah thats my homies pc, its a dual coppermine :) haha. i have not a clue with intel so thats why i'm asking you homies, ever PC i've fixed never gave me a Freq Ratio problem.

Are the CPU's exactly a like? Sometimes dual boards don't like unmatched pairs. (you sure they're both 1Ghz cpu's, etc..)

Also, don't you need dual capable chips too... I remember the powerleap has some switch on the adapter which told the mobo the chips were dual capable or something. (or maybe that was just for enable celerons or something)

all coppermines are dual capable(well, all coppermine pIII's. celerons after 500mhz arent). the tualatins were the ones that you had to have the -s versions for for them to work in dual configurations.

as long as they are both 1ghz, they should work... as long as one/both of them arent dead :p. s-spec/stepping matchings hasnt mattered much since the PPro days

try and putting each one in the CPU1 socket and boot with each one seperatly, and then try doing both of them. clear the CMOS and see if that helps. make sure the RAM is working correctly, and make sure the Vid card isnt dead. i see you have a gigabyte board, they arent the best in the world... you might try a different video card, as sometimes the universal AGP slots (2x/4x... 3.3v/1.5v) didnt like all video cards.

since pIII's are locked, it doesnt matter what the jumpers are set too as far as frequency ratios go, it will default to 7.5.

i <3 my pIII's :) mine are tualatins though... GL!

Back