Pentium 4 560 - Running too hot?

paintb4707

Limp Gawd
About 80c idle and 90c full load. This is after just cleaning out a mess of dust.

Reason I ask is because... I can't even play Unreal 3 on number 2 settings at 800x600, I'm experiencing very frequent hiccups. I know my machine can handle much more than this and I do spyware/virus scans often. Only other thing I could think of is doing a defrag since I haven't done that since I got this thing over 2 years ago. Maybe I'm due for a complete format.

Specs:

P4 3.6ghz
2gb DDR2 ram
7800GT

thats pretty hot, but i know that p4s run very hot anyways, I don't think it should be running THAT hot though.

Yes I would say that is to hot. Your cpu is probably throttling. If I were you I would open up the case, blow all the dust out real good, make sure all your fans are spinning normally. Then unmount your cpu and reapply some thermo paste.

That should get your cpu temps down to a more reasonable level.

thats pretty hot, but i know that p4s run very hot anyways, I don't think it should be running THAT hot though.

This is at stock speed too.

Yes I would say that is to hot. Your cpu is probably throttling. If I were you I would open up the case, blow all the dust out real good, make sure all your fans are spinning normally. Then unmount your cpu and reapply some thermo paste.

That should get your cpu temps down to a more reasonable level.

What would be a reasonable temp for a P4 560?

Also, I have some arctic silver ceramique lying around. Would that be good enough?

Not the same but my 550 will idle about ~40 and load ~55 this is on the stock cooler. WIth the stock cooler just about any type of thermal grease should be fine.

Edit: I used to run my 550 at 3.8 with a ~50 idle and about ~65 at load. Your temps are way to high.

OP, read this article. I know it's from tomshardware, but it's also from 2004 and they were still somewhat decent back then, and this is about how the Pentium 4 560 runs excessively hot, and very close to the limits of it's thermal envelope:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/14/the_p4/

It says they tend to do the throttling thing........

maybe check the way the heatsink is mounted, maybe when cleaning out your case u bumped it off, I dont know if it's just me, but the clips for the 775 sockets are a pain for me....maybe im just dumb but w/e

OP, read this article. I know it's from tomshardware, but it's also from 2004 and they were still somewhat decent back then, and this is about how the Pentium 4 560 runs excessively hot, and very close to the limits of it's thermal envelope:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2004/11/14/the_p4/

It says they tend to do the throttling thing........

Hot damn! :eek:
Did you down load the video? They even recomend you NOT use a after market cooler with generic thermal paste. And if you do replace the Intel stock themal paste, make sure you use thermal paste that has silver oxide.

I'd be looking for another cpu if I had a 560. That's just plain insanely hot.

To the OP, if your mother boards supports a Pentium D? I would go shopping for a cheap dual core 9xx model cpu and junk that 560.

Yeah........................................................

I would take that review with a grain of salt. A friend of mine has been running a 570 with a giant tower cooler ever since it was available. With out a problem. I used to run my 550 at 4.0 under some giant tower cooler before I dropped the case and ruined the mobo. Its been running under the stock under the stock heat sink ever since just fine. The Prescotts run hot but they can take the heat. Max temp is 90C. Hell I had one take 120C for about 2 hours before giving up the ghost(Don't ask I was noob and it might involve the formentioned case getting dropped)

Clean it up put on some new paste and see what happens.

Yeah........................................................

I would take that review with a grain of salt. A friend of mine has been running a 570 with a giant tower cooler ever since it was available. With out a problem. I used to run my 550 at 4.0 under some giant tower cooler before I dropped the case and ruined the mobo. Its been running under the stock under the stock heat sink ever since just fine. The Prescotts run hot but they can take the heat. Max temp is 90C. Hell I had one take 120C for about 2 hours before giving up the ghost(Don't ask I was noob and it might involve the formentioned case getting dropped)

Clean it up put on some new paste and see what happens.

well, the OPs experience is more like the tomshardware review, so i'd say the 570 is a YMMV type of CPU.......... wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to a c2d if his mobo supports it.....

well, the OPs experience is more like the tomshardware review, so i'd say the 570 is a YMMV type of CPU.......... wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade to a c2d if his mobo supports it.....

Wouldn't it be rash to go buy a new comp when the old one just needs a little TLC. Not to sound stubborn or anything but my god. One review site on the web posts that the Prescotts are furnaces. Not mention it took 2 years for his to act up Toms did it in a matter of tests. The whole don't use an aftermarket cooler sounds fishy to me.

OP what chipset is you mobo. By the time frame I'm going to guess 925X. How is day to day computing. Any degraded performance besides in games.

Wouldn't it be rash to go buy a new comp when the old one just needs a little TLC. Not to sound stubborn or anything but my god. One review site on the web posts that the Prescotts are furnaces. Not mention it took 2 years for his to act up Toms did it in a matter of tests. The whole don't use an aftermarket cooler sounds fishy to me.

OP what chipset is you mobo. By the time frame I'm going to guess 925X. How is day to day computing. Any degraded performance besides in games.

Now that I think about it, I have to agree about the "do not recommend buying a aftermarket cooler", that can't be right. Something is wrong with that statement.

Probably a good cleaning out of the case of dust and reapplying some artic silver, making sure the heat sink is installed properly, should bring down the temps some.

reapplying thermal paste is a must if you haven't done so in a while or are using stock thermal paste off of a stock HS.

Can I ask what temp monitor you are using?

Well.... I cleaned it off an re-applied with the arctic silver ceramique lying around. Now I can't boot at all as I'm watching it jump to 100c in the bios. I've tried reseating it several times and it seems as if the paste spread just fine and the HS is on nice and tightly. I'll have to clean it off and re-apply the paste again later today. If it still don't work I guess I'll have to get some actic silver 5 like suggested and a new HS while I'm at it. It's a shame I didn't forsee this because I just had ram shipped to me yesterday.

edit: Well I lied. I can still boot but its idling at 100c right now and if I were to shut it off and turn it back on immediately it wouldn't happen.

(I'm using speed fan with stock HS)

You know my Original 550 did that. But only mine would run at 120C are you with in the warranty sounds like the chip may of bit it. It should shut itself down if its about 90C.

Are you using the stock Intel cooler if so makes sure all of the pins are still in decent shape.
Try pushing down on the heat sink to get better contact.

Its looks like I was wrong and it may be time for a new comp.

i'm beginning to think that for some reason the IHS is coming loose from the core............... whatever reason, my suggestion to upgrade to a c2d was due more to the ease of eliminating these overheating problems, not suggesting that the 560 couldn't be fixed............. but it's beginning to sound like perhaps it cannot............. and Tomshardware suggesting not running an aftermarket cooler is more for warranty reasons, the reasoning being that if the chip runs that close to the danger zone, there's no sense in running a non-approved cooler on it............

Maybe your cpu and/or your heatsink aren't perfectly flat thus getting bad contact.

Go ahead and try other temp monitoring programs like Everest Home, not sure if Coretemp would be compatible with a P4.

Maybe your cpu and/or your heatsink aren't perfectly flat thus getting bad contact.

Go ahead and try other temp monitoring programs like Everest Home, not sure if Coretemp would be compatible with a P4.

I don't think the program matters really. It seems as if all of them just take the readings from BIOS. I'm using Everest right now and I'm idling at 94c

I don't think the program matters really. It seems as if all of them just take the readings from BIOS. I'm using Everest right now and I'm idling at 94c

It does matter since some programs coupled with certain mobo/cpus give way wrong readings. Not the case for you.

Do you guys think it could be the ceramique? Maybe I need arctic silver with silver oxide as suggested above. Or maybe I just need to clean it better with some stronger rubbing alcohol. I mean I still haven't re-applied the paste yet but I'm just brainstorming here.

You know my Original 550 did that. But only mine would run at 120C are you with in the warranty sounds like the chip may of bit it. It should shut itself down if its about 90C..

I doubt it. Even if I were, isn't the warranty immediately voided when you tamper with the HS, such as replacing the thermal paste?

You're right. Here's my board:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/cv/

If I'm not mistaken, it seems as if it will only support another P4, so a c2d is out of the question. As far as performance goes it *was* fine in and outside of every game other than the new demos that were just released like CoD4, unreal 3, crysis, etc. It's choking a lot for all three games at 800x600 low settings when I know it could handle much more.

What do you guys think of this for a new HS if re-applying the thermal paste doesn't help?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Do you guys think it could be the ceramique? Maybe I need arctic silver with silver oxide as suggested above. Or maybe I just need to clean it better with some stronger rubbing alcohol. I mean I still haven't re-applied the paste yet but I'm just brainstorming here.

I doubt it. Even if I were, isn't the warranty immediately voided when you tamper with the HS, such as replacing the thermal paste?

You're right. Here's my board:
http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/cv/

If I'm not mistaken, it seems as if it will only support another P4, so a c2d is out of the question. As far as performance goes it *was* fine in and outside of every game other than the new demos that were just released like CoD4, unreal 3, crysis, etc. It's choking a lot for all three games at 800x600 low settings when I know it could handle much more.

What do you guys think of this for a new HS if re-applying the thermal paste doesn't help?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

Just don't tell them. All I said was that my chip was Idling at 120C and then it died they said its not supposed to do that. Then they issued me a RMA.

Thats a decent. heatsink. Your board will only take P4s no dual cores or anything like that. Paste really shouldn't matter unless you aren't applying it right.

Those games should run better. My roomate is using my 550 right now and hes playing all those demos and they run well enough.

If you tried to reseat the cooler with out new thermal paste. Temp wouldn't change they would prob get worse. New paste is always good. Clean it as well as possible.

At coolie_d do you think before you talk. IHS coming off. Its only soldered to the core. By they way I like your conclusion its broke go buy something brand new its better because its new.

If you tried to reseat the cooler with out new thermal paste. Temp wouldn't change they would prob get worse. New paste is always good. Clean it as well as possible.

No, no. I tried reseating it after replacing the thermal paste. And now temps are worse than before. Maybe cleaning it off with only 70% alcohol could be causing the problem. I'll buy something a little stronger when I have the chance to re-apply the paste. I don't see how I could have applied it wrong. I just put a little dab on the CPU and it spread out just fine.

Woooooo! I fixed it!

Basically... I had quite a lot of dust that was stuck between the fins on top of the heatsink and I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get it out of there. Then it finally hit me to use the handset from a vacuum and it worked like a charm. I also manually spread out the paste a little bit more, even though I don't think I needed to.

I'm idling at 55c right now :D

Woooooo! I fixed it!

Basically... I had quite a lot of dust that was stuck between the fins on top of the heatsink and I couldn't figure out for the life of me how to get it out of there. Then it finally hit me to use the handset from a vacuum and it worked like a charm. I also manually spread out the paste a little bit more, even though I don't think I needed to.

I'm idling at 55c right now :D
Glad to hear it's working better for you. I just took my 560 down this week with a lot better temps that what you were running. Keep an eye on it, if your going over 65C under full load, then something may still be wrong.

Back