Pentium 4 Comedy on Newegg!

noobtech

2[H]4U
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116285

Here is what he said... (first off, this isn't a 64 bit supported processor. Also on the second comment... It's not even the fastest non ee P4!!

Pros: Price, 64 Bit Support, Fastest Pentium 4 Made, Works Great as a Space Heater

Cons: HEAT!, Expect Idle Temps in the 60's and Load Temps in the 90's That's Celsius

Other Thoughts: Well if your one of the unlucky people stuck with a Intel 915 or 925 Based LGA775 System this is as good as it gets, This is the fastest Non Extreme Pentium 4 that was made, One thing to consider is the heat output of this CPU This chip will Idle around 65C and Load Temps could hit 90C!! This is NOT a Chip to use in a Small Form Factor System or a Computer without Plenty of Cooling

and... (CPU WITH NO PINS!!!) LoL. Probably thought the 775 was a 478.

Pros: none, couldn't mount this CPU as there are no pins on the back of it!

Cons: might have worked if it was assembled properly. It's like it missed a step on the assemble line, no pins on the CPU. Kind of hard to install it with no pins on it. I can solder but I'm not that good, haha.

Other Thoughts: I sent it back today with the RMA and I will see how long a new one takes to get here and see if it has the pins on it.

lol, the part about the heat is right though...those bad boys are hot as funk

I wonder if newegg will allow me to submit my comment...

Man I can't stop laughing......my stomach hurts...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116285

Here is what he said... (first off, this isn't a 64 bit supported processor. Also on the second comment... It's not even the fastest non ee P4!!

Pros: Price, 64 Bit Support, Fastest Pentium 4 Made, Works Great as a Space Heater

Cons: HEAT!, Expect Idle Temps in the 60's and Load Temps in the 90's That's Celsius

Other Thoughts: Well if your one of the unlucky people stuck with a Intel 915 or 925 Based LGA775 System this is as good as it gets, This is the fastest Non Extreme Pentium 4 that was made, One thing to consider is the heat output of this CPU This chip will Idle around 65C and Load Temps could hit 90C!! This is NOT a Chip to use in a Small Form Factor System or a Computer without Plenty of Cooling

and... (CPU WITH NO PINS!!!) LoL. Probably thought the 775 was a 478.

Pros: none, couldn't mount this CPU as there are no pins on the back of it!

Cons: might have worked if it was assembled properly. It's like it missed a step on the assemble line, no pins on the CPU. Kind of hard to install it with no pins on it. I can solder but I'm not that good, haha.

Other Thoughts: I sent it back today with the RMA and I will see how long a new one takes to get here and see if it has the pins on it.

Actually, it *is* x64-capable, albeit single-core. Compaq (and HP, after acquiring Compaq) used quite a few of these space-heater P4s (again, LGA775) tag-teamed with Intel's G31 (Bear Lake) chipset for the home/CSM niche (Compaq, later HP, DC7600 mid-tower - Mom currently has one that is a refurb). The Prescott P4s were the only P4s in LGA775, in addition to being the last Netburst architecture CPUs altogether.

The DC7600 in refurb trim, despite the space-heater CPU that is Prescott, does have *some* advantages compared to the Northwood-E S478 it overlapped with new:

1. The motherboard has four DDR2 DIMM slots - with a resulting RAM capacity of 16GB (4GB x4).

2. It can take both PCIe x16 and PCIe x1 cards (it has one x16 and two x1), so the anemic G31 chipset can be obsolesced, as can the onboard audio and networking (Broadcom wired gigabit).

3. Even the CPU can be upgraded (though only to Pentium-D 945) after downloading a BIOS update from HP.

The real issue with any system of that time period is that even cut-down Conroe and Wolfdale (Celeron DC) will thoroughly embarrass it when configured identically - let alone Pentium-G and Celeron-G (cut-down Sandy Bridge).

Still, the "hubris" of the reviewer.....(eyeroll).....

Actually, it *is* x64-capable, albeit single-core. Compaq (and HP, after acquiring Compaq) used quite a few of these space-heater P4s (again, LGA775) tag-teamed with Intel's G31 (Bear Lake) chipset for the home/CSM niche (Compaq, later HP, DC7600 mid-tower - Mom currently has one that is a refurb). The Prescott P4s were the only P4s in LGA775, in addition to being the last Netburst architecture CPUs altogether.

Actually, there were: Smithfield (dual Prescott), Presler and Cedar Mill P4s on 775, and there were even 'single core' Smithfields (not Prescott) and Preslers (not Cedar Mill), though most of these were very limited Celerons.

I think the Celeron 800/900s were the last Netburst CPUs.

Guys you laugh at this but this isn't the worst. Last week one of the guys in the Intel Boxed Presales group got a call to find out which of our current boards have ISA slots on them.

Guys you laugh at this but this isn't the worst. Last week one of the guys in the Intel Boxed Presales group got a call to find out which of our current boards have ISA slots on them.
You can still buy boards with ISA slots. They are designed for industrial use. Many times people will have some sort of machine or robot that is run off an old ISA controller card. ISA controller cards are still being manufactured too since they are pretty tried and true tech.
http://www.amazon.com/MB-P4BWA-Industrial-Motherboard-ISA-Slots/dp/B004HLOQH6

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
isa slots are still in use and I imagine will be for the next decade or more, lots of old machinery needs isa cards to communicate.

I wonder why amd never switched to the bga package for cpus, I wonder how much of a difference it makes, I know it meant every display model intel board got ruined within 10 minutes of being put out.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable request to me, some people have older data acquisition cards that would be very expensive to replace.

There are motherboards out there from industrial vendors that have ISA slots and will take a core2 processor.

http://www.adek.com/ATX-motherboards.html

stealthy123 said:
I wonder why amd never switched to the bga package for cpus, I wonder how much of a difference it makes, I know it meant every display model intel board got ruined within 10 minutes of being put out.
Both intel and AMD use a mixture of PGA, BGA and LGA for their CPUs. IIRC intel moved to LGA on the desktop because it allowed them to deliver more power and never moved back (which is kinda strange given that AMD chips seem to be more power hungry than intel ones these days)

Last edited:
Too funny, that's a good find OP I'm gonna RMA it, so the next one will have pins, and I'm a 5/5. Excellent.

Back