Pentium D 920 with Asus P5LD2

isp

2[H]4U
I just bought a 920 and P5LD2.
The problem is that for the board to support these procs they need a newer bios.

My question is: How can I update the firmware
with the new processor? I don't have an older processor to boot the board and update the firmware to the 0901 BIOS. Will it even boot when I install it, is there any way to get around this or do you think am I screwed. :(

EDIT: Now that I've read the manual some more I think I can just use the EZ flash utility when the board gets here. :)

You may or may not need a new CPU. on AMD boards when a dual core is put into a single core bios, only one core shows up but flashing is possible. Sometimes boards may not boot with an unsupported processor, sometimes they will, you need to test it yourself.

Yeah I'll have to check it out when it gets here. I hope it just says Unknown CPU Type and will let me flash. Will keep the fingers crossed.

I'm hearing bad reports of the P5LD2+920 with regards to overclocking. I might just spring for a P5WD2-P as that seems to be working nicely for people.

For anyone who is curious, I got the mobo and cpu today. Setup went without a hitch.

Made a floppy ahead of time with the latest bios named p5ld2.bin on it. After I Put everything together I quickly fired her up. Just held alt+f2 and the ezflash read the image right from the floppy did it's job. Rebooted and everything was good to go.

How is the 920D , im thinking about upgrading to it .. have ya tried to OC yet ? LMK results! im using the mini version P5LD2-VM , so far its a GREAT overclocker but MAKE sure (not sure if your board has this problem) but if you wanna go over 229FSB , change the PCI Express to 119 OR 120 (nothing over , SATA drives dont pick up than) :)

i'ts not bad, had 3600mhz on p5ld2 (stock hsf) and now 4ghz on p5wd2 (Big typhoon cooling). I'm happy w/ the chip. Was only like 250.

isp said:
i'ts not bad, had 3600mhz on p5ld2 (stock hsf) and now 4ghz on p5wd2 (Big typhoon cooling). I'm happy w/ the chip. Was only like 250.

how did you OC yours? im running similar setup .. (920D, P5wd2-P, 2x1gb pqi turbo pc5400, radeon x1800xl, thermalright SI-120)

im at 3.4ghz right now. i want to push it to 4 though. what would best method to OC it to 4? what are your memory settings? :)

the pci express lock has to be changed to 120 , an up the FSB... see if that works you prob are stuck an if you move it to like 231 an you get no signal right?

finally hit 4ghz with the 920 (2.8ghz) ... up the fsb to 286mhz and vcore to 1.35V with memory running at 357Mhz 4-4-4-12

temps: idle 40-42C .. load mid-50C

yeah thats about what i run day to day, easy huh? :D

the highest i've taken it for benchmarking was 4.2...beyond that i don't think air will do the job...

(this is all on the p5wd2-p btw, don't want to get anyone who has or is thinking about getting a p5ld2 confused...)

I hit a snag while running Prime95 @ 3960Mhz, but I didnt have time to test why, to see if it was ram, or if I needed more vcore.

I was at default voltage/vcore & 4-4-4-12. I probably just needed to bump the vcore up a little. But I was getting tired, so I put it down to 3.8Ghz, ran a few benches and left it there, until I get home today.

well, did a little more testing tonight. Ram was fine, tried lower ratio/ higher timings.... but still get round errors at 3960+ at default voltage. Since it was already at 60-62C under full load, I decided to just keep it at 3.9Ghz.

So here are the results so far:
http://www.crowdcontrolusa.com/overclock/shizzy2.html

Most of those benchmarks were run with out a fresh restart. So gradually those scores should come up as I try them on a fresh restart with no background apps running, tweaked, etc..

So the PQI/667 is working out well? I have some of that on the way, and plan to have a 920 to accompany it soon.

-bZj

Yeah, I've had it up to 700Mhz at 4-4-4-12 and it was fine. I haven't even tried higher.

At 3.73Ghz /1066FSB, it was perfectly at 667Mhz (spec speed), then I cranked it up to a little more, and hit the CPU limit around 3.96Ghz.... so I backed it down to 3.9Ghz and left it there.

I even tried reducing ratio to make sure it wasn't a ram limitation keeping me from hitting 4Ghz. But it wasn't. I haven't even tried tweaking it.

I get like 6500mb/s sisoft memory scores already so I'm happy with that at DDR2 695 Mhz 4-4-4-12 for 2Gb of ram for $140 after $20 MIR!

edit: btw I did get it up to 4Ghz with 1.3625v on the vcore, it ran a little warmer. So I prefer to keep it at default voltage and 3.9Ghz where it runs nice & cool.

Awesome. Such a good price, too.

Parts are slowly coming in... can't wait.

-bZj

Thanks for the info ISP, thats just what I was looking for.

Just to be clear, you ended up getting the Asus P5WD2-P(remium?) not the P5LD2? Then you just needed the lastest BIOS on a floppy while booting and holding alt-F2?

Also, as an open question, do you guys think this would also apply to the 930/940 pentium D's as well?

Back