PentiumG 3250 v. G3258

PGHammer

2[H]4U
What differences are there between the PentiumG 3250 and the similar-sounding G3258? While I am still looking to build around the latter, the former sounds like the closest equivalent in OEM PCs, and I'm wondering what real-world differences there are between the two.

One is unlocked and apparently the 3250 is also missing EM64T? hmm... that's interesting.

For the price, its hard to argue with the G3258 unless there is a specific reason why you don't want to use it.

I'm trying to avoid apples vs. oranges comparing the two heads-up - the G3250 is commonplace in OEM hardware, while the G3258 is an upgrader's/system builder's part.

However, one fly in the potion IS that price - at MicroCenter, for example, the '58 is a $60USD part; the only bundle featuring it is all of (at worst) $107 including tax (the motherboard is the MSI Z97 PC Mate - there is NO bundle with the same-price pre-bundle MSI Z97 G55 SLI, for example).

I'm trying to avoid apples vs. oranges comparing the two heads-up - the G3250 is commonplace in OEM hardware, while the G3258 is an upgrader's/system builder's part.

However, one fly in the potion IS that price - at MicroCenter, for example, the '58 is a $60USD part; the only bundle featuring it is all of (at worst) $107 including tax (the motherboard is the MSI Z97 PC Mate - there is NO bundle with the same-price pre-bundle MSI Z97 G55 SLI, for example).

You should be able to get a discount on any compatible motherboard. I'd ask a rep.

You should be able to get a discount on any compatible motherboard. I'd ask a rep.

I actually found a better motherboard in the "open box" section @ MC Fairfax - the MSI Z97 G55 SLI. I haven't yet gone by to see exactly what's missing; if it's something like the included CD, that's a quibble I can live with (same for common parts, such as SATA cables), since the G3258+PC Mate bundle is now toast (rats). The open-box G55 undercuts the in-box PC Mate by $40 - and still leaves open the down-the-road of GTX960s in SLI (especially since I may go dual-display, as Mom is replacing her refurb HP with a newer HP Pavilion 23 g116 (touch-screen); I'll be inheriting the XH243H.bmid she will surrender).

Back