People Only Pirate Popular Stuff

Hmmm...
A study for the British version of MPAA finds that piracy sites keep pop stars popular.
Wouldn't that be considered a Good Thing?

The reason why the authors feel lesser known acts aren't gaining popularity?
Too many choices on the piracy sites, so people just go with what they know.

Here's the most interesting part, left for the very end of the article:

Despite this, the report said, the fact that music was free on file-sharing networks meant people did occasionally listen to bands they had never heard of before.

By contrast, on sites where people have to pay to listen they only download the tracks they know they want.

"If the sellers sell it, it might never be bought; but if the swappers offer it, at least one person will likely take it," said the study.

Given this, said the authors, it might be worth music companies regarding file-sharing sites as comparable to radio and TV as a broadcast network.

Bet they didn't like that....:p

A new, ground breaking study has revealed that people pirate popular music and, for some odd reason, don’t pirate unpopular stuff. Amazing! In other news, diamonds are more popular with thieves than coal, water is wet and the sky is blue.

I guess it never occurred to them that people are pirating it BECAUSE it is popular

That is not a refutation for conducting the study. Marketing decisions are based on evidenced based studies not on speculations.
Read again: "There was little evidence that file-sharing sites helped unsigned and new bands find an audience"
That finding is significant and because of that no longer can such sites use a now disproven reason to justify what they are doing.

Hey, it's Kate Hudson and Anne Hathaway catfighting...all good.

Anne Hathaway needs a sammitch or two, though. So sad.
C'mon, standards people! You can watch an almost nekkid Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married.

I posted Bride Wars because that was the worst movie I could think of. It got around 12% on rottontomatoes when I was looking for something else this morning. :p

dumb question for both the pirates and those against it.

does downloading last weeks episode of Lost = stealing?

dumb question for both the pirates and those against it.

I'd say no. It's available for free online and it's available ota.

ANyone who tries to force a sale on something like that is trying to rip you off.

I'd like to know how you plan on "busting them in the teeth"?
Hmm, asking a stupid question for the sake of starting a side-argument.......there's a 5 letter word some use to refer to that.

And beyond that...what are you 4? Seriously.....lol

What am I for? Get specific much? I can only assume you must be one of those black/white people who thinks everyone MUST either think "yay, pirating's great lets go piratz" or "you're all gay bastards I hope riaa burns your unborn children". Some people have the ability to see both good & bad things in both sides of an argument.

Just because someone thinking they can take my work and do what they please w/ it w/o my permission pisses me off, does not mean that I think file sharing is bad (in fact i think it's great)........& vice versa. There, is your little brain sufficiently confuxxored now?

C'mon, standards people! You can watch an almost nekkid Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married.

I posted Bride Wars because that was the worst movie I could think of. It got around 12% on rottontomatoes when I was looking for something else this morning. :p

Anne would be hot if they cut Halfaway her teeth.

ahahah get it her last name is Hathaway and she has HUGE teeth that are twice the size of normal teeth and I said she would be hot if they cut Half of her teeth away but made it look like her last name Halfaway......classic.

No, but it's infringing. You can assume that whoever is "sharing" it probably doesn't have ABC's permission. Whether you care about that or not is up to you.

Given this, said the authors, it might be worth music companies regarding file-sharing sites as comparable to radio and TV as a broadcast network. [/I]

See, & something like this is what I'm talking about (even though I'm sure exec.'s shit themselves at the thought of it). An idea like that is a decent example of trying to get something good out of both sides of the situation. In that, people are going to do it regardless, so find a way to embrace it and use productively.......instead of trying to be THE MAN & "keep 'em down".

Hmm, asking a stupid question for the sake of starting a side-argument.......there's a 5 letter word some use to refer to that.

What am I for? Get specific much? I can only assume you must be one of those black/white people who thinks everyone MUST either think "yay, pirating's great lets go piratz" or "you're all gay bastards I hope riaa burns your unborn children". Some people have the ability to see both good & bad things in both sides of an argument.

Just because someone thinking they can take my work and do what they please w/ it w/o my permission pisses me off, does not mean that I think file sharing is bad (in fact i think it's great)........& vice versa. There, is your little brain sufficiently confuxxored now?

Whoa whoa....no side-argument....chill broseph....I don't even have the bandwidth necessary to pirate stuff...I'm on 56k seriously. Lol and I meant "What are you 4" as in 4 years old....not as a substitute for the word "for", please don't "misunderestimate" my engrish skills.

As far as trying to classify me as one type of person or another....I'm neutral here...so take it easy....I've got no intentions of stealing anything or trying to make someone angry. Just explaining my opinion lol....is that ok with you? :)

btw you seem like you need a hug.....:p

This shows that the age old "I pirate stuff because I'm not going to pay money for crap" is utter bullshit.

BREAKING NEWS: Recent advances in mathematics have revealed that when you add two apples to a different pile of 2 apples you get a single pile of four apples!

Whoa whoa....no side-argument....chill broseph....I don't even have the bandwidth necessary to pirate stuff...I'm on 56k seriously. Lol and I meant "What are you 4" as in 4 years old....not as a substitute for the word "for", please don't "misunderestimate" my engrish skills.

As far as trying to classify me as one type of person or another....I'm neutral here...so take it easy....I've got no intentions of stealing anything or trying to make someone angry. Just explaining my opinion lol....is that ok with you? :)

btw you seem like you need a hug.....:p

Heh, I guess i must have seriously mis-read your post. If that's the case....
"bust teeth" -- just assume this is what I would like to do to someone who feels my work is worth stealing, yet not work paying for (or more likely simply asking permission). Simply an expression of how much it displeases me.

And for the last bit, given the intended context, I don't see the relevance. What did I say that implies immaturity? The busting teeth thing?

Anyway, sorry for mis-taking your post so bad. You weren't terribly specific and I ran w/ an assumption.

o/

Heh, I guess i must have seriously mis-read your post. If that's the case....
"bust teeth" -- just assume this is what I would like to do to someone who feels my work is worth stealing, yet not work paying for (or more likely simply asking permission). Simply an expression of how much it displeases me.

And for the last bit, given the intended context, I don't see the relevance. What did I say that implies immaturity? The busting teeth thing?

Anyway, sorry for mis-taking your post so bad. You weren't terribly specific and I ran w/ an assumption.

o/

lol....it's all good...no harm no foul....I've got a buddy whose grandson says that all the time....he's 4....just razzing you that's all....no ill-will

I understand that....personally if I had released some of my projects for sale and they got pirated I'd prob be pissed too....but then again I don't know how I could track down those people and "bust em up side day big fat heads".....lol

For application development I'd say the best way to avoid such issues with pirating is to either provide a free and/or open source version with basic functionality and charge for a more advanced version. A lot of the time this works for companies, especially the one's with a really support that stand behind their products, not in front of them (MS is a big culprit here).

For media content....that's a difficult decision that many companies will soon face...lower prices and drive sales only for a limited time...or raise price and lower consumption keeping the same revenue. Overall they end up with the same overall revenue but fail to keep customer loyalty at a high percentage. I think there is a better answer than that.....content distribution systems. Yes like Steam....deliver the newest movies and media directly into the home and onto peoples portable devices. I love the fact that I can listen to Pandora Radio virtually anywhere I go on my iPhone. I also love the fact that my Blu-Ray player offers Netflix streaming which I use on a daily basis. These types of systems = win. Traditional media delivery is sooo 1990's...come on people let's get with the program...people want media and WE WANT IT NOW!

Peace

For application development I'd say the best way to avoid such issues with pirating is to either provide a free and/or open source version with basic functionality and charge for a more advanced version. A lot of the time this works for companies, especially the one's with a really support that stand behind their products, not in front of them (MS is a big culprit here).

Yeah, I really wish more companies would do this. Most of the app's i work with cost well over 4 figures. For someone who just want's to play around &/or learn the costs can be prohibitive, & are at the least a substantial commitment. As a result, a significant amount of people in the industry learned their trade via. pirated software (although they'll typical swear up & down that's not the case).
It's part of the reason I suspect that most of the companies that produce these app's rarely go after "individuals" pirating their software. Because they understand that at that point it's a 'non-sale' pirated or not. But there is the possibility that that person will learn and move on to employment where a copy will be purchased for them to use..........thus generating a sale from a non-sale via. pirating. At least that's my theory on it, ofc said companies would never openly admit such a practice. But it would certainly be nice (not to mention beneficial to the company) to see a more open stance on the subject, and a more pro-active attempt to use the situation to encourage more people to learn their tools.

lol. I love that I must somehow be an anomaly.

Rockin.

I download tunes that aren't.

Yeah, I really wish more companies would do this. Most of the app's i work with cost well over 4 figures. For someone who just want's to play around &/or learn the costs can be prohibitive, & are at the least a substantial commitment. As a result, a significant amount of people in the industry learned their trade via. pirated software (although they'll typical swear up & down that's not the case).
It's part of the reason I suspect that most of the companies that produce these app's rarely go after "individuals" pirating their software. Because they understand that at that point it's a 'non-sale' pirated or not. But there is the possibility that that person will learn and move on to employment where a copy will be purchased for them to use..........thus generating a sale from a non-sale via. pirating. At least that's my theory on it, ofc said companies would never openly admit such a practice. But it would certainly be nice (not to mention beneficial to the company) to see a more open stance on the subject, and a more pro-active attempt to use the situation to encourage more people to learn their tools.

You hit the nail on the head with that one my friend. :p

Personally I have worked in that type of environment often learning on pirated software and I know exactly what you mean when it comes to cost prohibitive style apps. Hell for these types of apps, I'd easily pay $300-500 for a semester crash course at my local community college. Anything big like the Adobe Suite, CAD, Oracle, 3ds Max and Maya, etc. It's better than paying the single license fee out of pocket and you get professional training that will look good on a resume. Also it's better to get it done in a semester's time than to waste years teaching yourself. Of course that alliance has not yet been struck between Corp. America and the Higher Education realm. Too bad really since you have plenty of people willing to pay to learn and plenty of fine candidates to choose from after they've completed the course. Any way you look at that scenario it's a win-win for the consumer and the companies supplying licenses. Hell you could even go as far as making specialized demographic classes for the elderly and beginner types just for basic computer usage....think of the cash flow from a standardized platform such as this.

Of course we'll probably never see that happen so piracy will continue, however their are a few companies out there who will sometimes donate licenses to Educational Institutions and other such organizations. That doesn't go without saying that the majority could care less about training people how to use it though. lol

Peace

It is called positive feedback system.

1) Something is popular
2) Which makes it easy to Pirate, so people do.
3) Which makes it more popular
4) Repeat.

Many times I want to "pirate" something I simply cannot find it, or it takes so bloody long because no one has it. This is assuming torrents.

There was one 80's TV show that I had some nostalgia about and wanted to see. Could not find it anywhere. Finally found a torrent for it. Took months to complete.

After which I think I watched one episode and went "wow that is horrible!" and never watched it again... lol

This shows that the age old "I pirate stuff because I'm not going to pay money for crap" is utter bullshit.

My retail copy of The Orange Box is telling you to STFU, because I had downloaded and beaten all of it(obviously not TF2) before I purchased it. Assassins' Creed, on the other hand, had its disc images erased from my external the other day and won't be seeing me purchase a retail copy. After going through three installs thinking "Maybe I'll be able to have fun with it this time.", I'd had enough.

Popular != good. Good is subjective, *I* decide what's good.

Back