Performance difference between nforce 3 and 4?

bsmack

Limp Gawd
The reason I ask is because I'm curious as to whether or not I should get the shuttle SN25P or the shuttle SN95G5 v3. Would it be worth it to sell my 6800 ultra AGP and get a PCIe card just so I can get the nforce 4? Also, will the 6800 ultra fit in an SN95G5?

High-end AGP cards are going to quickly depreciate in value... nForce4 would be better. There aren't really any performance difs between the two chips.

Not sure about the Ultra. Find a review and see where the PCI-E slot is located. Right = it works, left = not gonna happen.

2 slot coolers will fit in the sn25p with at most a slight mod to the drive cage. sn95 will require cutting the side of the case and part of the frame. Preformance differences between nf3 - nf4, and agp - pcie are minor with the advantage to nf4, pcie. If you plan on keeping the system for awhile and upgrading then the sn25p would be the better choice. There are reviews of both here, and at other sites.

unless you have the asus 6800 ultra then you will have to mod your case.

u could get a pretty decent price for that 6800 ultra so i would sell it and use the money you get ~350 for a pci-e card

I have SN95G5 V2,0. I have 6800 GT to. GPU from 6800GT is native AGP and GT was my choice(not worse then Ultra and all features unlocked and strong on stock speed). I've could of have gone PCI-e but why? Is it faster? Some peope say upgrades but till I need new GPU I'll need new Shuttle to. Some say value of grafic card will fast go down but it's allways like that and if You wait it will allways be cheeper and You will never get something.

I have SN95G5 and it's really great. If You allready have great AGP card and You are satisfyed why should You go PCI-e way?

Memory controller on AMD A64 CPU's is on the chip so memory preformance deppends on CPU not on a chipset. Nforce 3 Ultra 250 GB is fast. HDD controller is good and SN95G5 has RAID to.

Although P- series are more quiet then G series SN25P has more fans and it's ICE fan is smaller so when it needs to preform it's louder then G5 92 mili fan. Like 80 mili from P series to keep CPU on 45 C under load must turn faster then 92 mili in G5 chassis resulting in less noise. Although on smart fan fuction both are extremly quiet.
More noise comes from GPU HSF then from ICE fan.

HDD cooling is better on P series. Also P-series can host more devices. PSU is stronger to (Although silentx 240 watt can handle pretty much). One can use two slot size GPU coolers to.

Most of a Ultra cards have two slots cooling solution and that doesn't fit in G chassis XPC exept if You modify it. Some people use EVGA copper GT cooler on Ultra cards and use it in G chassis XPC. Other just get Silencer and cut cover to fit it. You can find pic ofthat mod here on this forum.

MD

I'm going for a SN95G5 Shuttle.

AGP won't die that quick - especially with ATi's Crossover. Long live AGP.

liberty said:
I'm going for a SN95G5 Shuttle.

AGP won't die that quick - especially with ATi's Crossover. Long live AGP.
here here!

I plan on buying the SN95G5 as well.

mines in the mail. i ordered it and its been on back order for about a month.
ive been using my shit laptop the entire time. i have my new 3000+ venice and a 6600gt just waiting for me.... the wait is killing me... im definately looking forward to the sn95g5v3

I'm pretty certain now that I'm going to go with the SN95G5 too. That way I can keep my AGP card.

Back