Performance PC's Power Supply clearence

Pitbully

[H]ard|Gawd
I know this was posted here a few months ago, but Performance PC's still has a shitload of power supply's on clearance.

Just picked up another 1200W for a mining rig for $140. Some Antec, Silverstone and CoolerMaster stuff left as well.

PCP&C Silencer 750 for like $70? Not good? U wot m8?

Get the BFG psu! It's probably a collectors item by now. :p

Funny, I thought the same thing! I miss those video cards...

While we're talking PSUs... I just picked up a Seasonic 1k Platinum for $209 off Amazon, brand new take out...

Pretty much every model there is 4+ years old. Some of the prices are okay, but nothing terribly great. Anything "good" has been long since sold out months ago (namely the XFX Pro's and higher end Silverstone Striders), along with all the really cheap stuff that's worth getting just to throw away if it dies.

That seems like a pretty poor price to me. Old PSU, only 80+, still with PC P&C stupid 80mm fan?

Meh, I have a bottom barrel COrsair CX600. The PCP&C is probably just as good if not better.

Yea I snagged 2x Thermaltake 1200W for mining rigs. $140 each...cannot beat that price.

wow everything above 1000 watts, totally gone, I guess miners...

well there is this one but it is $250 so not a sale
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...roduct_info&cPath=1078_1079&products_id=22557

Which I don't get why miners are buying the expensive PSUs.

It's cheaper to:

- Buyer two smaller 90+ PSUs and use in tandem (real easy to pull the sense wire). If one dies, it only brings down part of the rig. Cheaper to swap.

Or

- Use server PSU's which sell for 20% of the cost and are rated for 24/7 operation. They also have more 12v power. Just need to add a fan.

My mining rigs use a smaller PSU for 1 or 2 cards + main board and a server PSU for the other 4-5 cards (6 total). Way cheaper. A 650w server (12v) PSU costs $13.

Cryptobadger.com has a write up on it.

Which I don't get why miners are buying the expensive PSUs.

It's cheaper to:

- Buyer two smaller 90+ PSUs and use in tandem (real easy to pull the sense wire). If one dies, it only brings down part of the rig. Cheaper to swap.

If your voltage is off on one psu vs the other, you are going to get current flowing from one psu into the other which probably doesn't end well.

As far as datacenter psus they are very nice but are 220v only, require some talent to mod and a source for a wiring harness with a bunch of pci-e connectors, a whole bunch. Plus you still need a small psu for 3v and 5v

Yea I snagged 2x Thermaltake 1200W for mining rigs. $140 each...cannot beat that price.

They are a beast of a PSU mine has been working great for a long time. I took it apart once to lube the fan and it has some cool looking internals, giant heatsinks etc. Too bad it has ugly cables. price is showing $169 for me though.

Anyone have any experience with industrial power supplies this seems like a decent deal?

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...roduct_info&cPath=1078_1079&products_id=20967

Been thinking about picking one up to tinker.

hey don't knock the PC Power 750. Still running mine through 4 systems. SLI's and overclocked to boot. No issues with power. Solid power supply

hey don't knock the PC Power 750. Still running mine through 4 systems. SLI's and overclocked to boot. No issues with power. Solid power supply

This thing just will not give up, ever :p. I'm not even sure how old mine is now, but it is one of the original(not those OCZ remake ones). It has been in so many PC's now and still chugs along nicely. Great backup PSU to have, although I guess it isn't the most efficient.

If your voltage is off on one psu vs the other, you are going to get current flowing from one psu into the other which probably doesn't end well.

As far as datacenter psus they are very nice but are 220v only, require some talent to mod and a source for a wiring harness with a bunch of pci-e connectors, a whole bunch. Plus you still need a small psu for 3v and 5v

That's not even possible unless you're coupling the output lines on the entire wiring harness, which nobody does. All the harnesses I've ever seen only jump the ATX power sense pin and a ground line to turn the secondary PSU on alongside the primary when the ATX power switch is pressed.

Each of the PSUs' actual +/- voltage lines will be more or less isolated from each other, unless you happen to end up doing something like using a PCIe header from one PSU and a second from the other PSU on the same video card. Other than that, there should never be any backfeed from one PSU to the other.

That seems like a pretty poor price to me. Old PSU, only 80+, still with PC P&C stupid 80mm fan?

I have 2x PCP&C Silencer 610s and 2 of their Silencer 750 PSUs. They all have 5 year warranties which are all expired now. Sucks I never got to use them (the warranties). :rolleyes:

Back