Performance Reduction

my comp has been running like crap lately, and i cant figure out wtf is wrong.
its frozen a couple times, i cant watch DVDs anymore, .avi wont open
WoW runs a little better, but with my new vid card i was hoping i could run it smoothly at max video settings, but i cant get terrain distance past 25% w/o getting glitchy.

i dont know anything about overclocking or much so go easy on me. though id like to know how to not only get performance back to normal but maybe increase it a little ^_^
i knew enough to put my own computer together with a little help, and upgrade it a few times.

ASUS K8N mobo
eVGA Geforce 6600GT (128MB)
AMD athlon 64 processor
2800+
1.81 GHz, 1.5 GB ram
WinXP

what else do you need to know?

edit: people always tell me to format whenever there is a problem, but you all know how much of a pain in the ass that is. i would have to spend a few days getting all the drivers/games/software back on it.

if this thread is in the wrong place, feel free to move it as long as someone lets me know where it went ;)

Run the www.pandasoftware.com free antivirus scan, and the housecall.trendmicro.com free antivirus scan, then get, install, and run the free.grisoft.com antivirus. Then get www.safer-networking.org (Spybot S&D) and www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/ and run them both. Then, if you're real ambitious, get www.hijackthis.de process logger, and copy the logs onto their web analyzer, and delete the bad shit that's left yourself.

Then, get yourself patched up. Start with Service Pack 2 for XP, Service Pack 4 for 2000. If you have it installed, go to update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us and get the rest of your shit holed-up.

Then get the newest drivers from www.nvidia.com, for both your video card and your chipset.

Do all that before you decide to start overclocking. A clean install is a last-ditch effort, don't rely on it, ever, not until you've got some of this other stuff checked off your list. (On the other hand, if it's been more than a year since you put the computer together and you go through a lot of install/ uninstall cycles, you could be due. It's your call in the end.)

i cant find the chipset drivers im looking for, but then again im not sure which one is the one im looking for.

all right, i did a complete format. and now i have a new problem. installed the drivers and what not and now i cant get a internet connection. :(

edit: obviously im posting from a friends computer

Well, first start. . . (See, this is why you shouldn't do a clean install without some prep work.)

Are you using the NIC built into the motherboard? You need the right chipset drivers from nVidia. They control that NIC. If you can't figure that out, get out a PCI NIC from somewhere/ one, a card that has either native XP support or the drivers handy. Do you have a version of XP with SP 2 slipstreamed or SP 2 on a CD? You should probably put that on before you even think about networking the box. Hell, SP 2 might even have driver support for that NIC.

Start by putting SP 2 on there. You get it here http://tinyurl.com/7xthn and burn it to a CD.

I would also check the ram and hard drive for errors. They would definetly cause symptoms like that.

When you look at your system devices(start > control panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager), make sure you have no question marks for any of the devices. If you do, that probably means you will need to get new drivers for the device. This way, you can isolate your problems and work on them one at a time. If necessary, download the drivers for a device and put them on a jump drive, floppy, cd, or whatever from your friend's pc.

Back