Phase Change in case: Lian-Li V2000 prototype B is ready :)

jinu117

[H]ard|Gawd
If you remember what I went through before, this is upgraded version of previous prototype. I am still waiting for my condenser and compressor for finilizing the design so using old mach II condenser and compressor with newer revision of chilly1 evap is utilized. Froster-X is there but it isn't installed yet as I am waiting for AC adapter for it. BTW, Thanks for the sidewindow NJKid32 :) (I just borrowed it lol getting one myself next time I drop by my supplier)

Proto.2.Front.JPG

Froster-X LCD... will replace picture when I get froster running.

Proto.2.Back.Temp.JPG

PSU was meant to be sitting at bottom but I couldn't get extra length for few cables on this full sized case. Will have to look into extenders. Pointers are welcome. (especially PCI-e extender)
Bottom is NJKid32's case that has proper orientation to allow best airflow.

Proto.2.Back.JPG

Proto.2.Side.JPG

I love this stock window that is made by lian-li. Very clean.

Proto.2.SideNaked.JPG

Innard of system.

Proto.2.Inside.JPG

Before putting into case and load testing tuning.

Proto.2.IdleTemp.JPG

As usual, X2 running 1.7-1.71v 3.1ghz 2xballistix, etc. Like Idle temp? :)

Proto.2.DualPrime.JPG

Again, same setting running dual prime :)

Unfortunately, these wonderful temp is not same inside case. #1. evaporator lost bit of efficiency leaning sideway, #2. Case airflow is still bit less than ideal. I would need to use something stronger than Panaflo M1A to really get back the temperature. However, I chose not to as being silent and cool is what I am aiming for. Total temperature lost is about 3-4c whic is more than acceptable as even with the temperature increase, it is well over 10c colder than stock vapochill LS :)

Once new compressor, condenser, misc parts I asked lian-li to make arrives, I will get next revision of prototype up :)

looking sweet man! nice, clean build with nothing sticking out and everything packed into such a tight space.

now, i've wondered a few times but never asked: where do you people learn to do this stuff? are you simply well motivated geeks, or some form of advanced refrigeration tech/geek hybrid?

have you guys done courses in refrigeration? just read instructions on various web sites? have friends who work with this stuff? combination of the above?

Very nice. It takes a lot of planning to fit a phase change system in a case.

Thanks guys. In my case, I am certified geek whose dealt with desigining circuits, implementing drivers (low level stuff) all the way to database administration.
been playing with computer eversince I was 6 and took on overclocking before community even got decently big:p Tried all kind of cooling methods and when things went wrong with a "reputable" custom unit builder I took things to my hand. (I've had about 2 years of reading experiences on various forum on matter before that mind you :p) Numerous hours of reading (some CD training material, some books), taking certification, acquiring tools, than testing testing and more testing until I feel confident on what I am doing. I built about 15 different single stages now (different component mix and match to learn)...:p Most of them got reutilized except 2 that I sold to customer. Some builders are from HVAC background for sure though :)
I am in starting business that makes units like above for avid overclockers who wants convenience of nice case with their cooling unit, who doesn't want to spend too much money getting pre-made case+cooling unit, or who doesn't like the annoying compressor noise Vapo LS produces while getting at least 10c better temperature under heavy load. (above unit does about 12-13c better). Few other objective for next prototype is to reduce electricity consumption really more so than anything else :p
It isn't overtly hard... it just takes time and effort and $$$ to get proper tools. (Tools adds up quick for proper set of outfit to do it legally and properly).

centvalny said:
Congrats Jin for the build :)

Too bad the guy who gave me idea to begin with probably will never need one of these lol :)
You've kind of skipped through the stage and went too extreme now :) Aren't you going to go for three stage anytime soon? (or 4 stage for the matter... might not be an issue with intel chip)

I have been wanting to try this for along time, dont let the noobie fool you. Also if your looking to extend the PCI X wires and others, you could get a pc power PSU. Just ask them to shorten or lengthen what ever you need.

Aviddigi tamsco said:
I have been wanting to try this for along time, dont let the noobie fool you. Also if your looking to extend the PCI X wires and others, you could get a pc power PSU. Just ask them to shorten or lengthen what ever you need.

I don't think I can ask all my customer to buy PC & P PSU :p Yes, I plan to make more and sell them here and few other places. I found needed extenders but it won't get here for little while so I must live with not so optimized configuration for time being :p
So far, pricing works out to be in middle of vapo LS or mach II with lian-li dressing kit which I think will be very competitive consdiering, it comes with nice case, cools better and quieter (and hopefully using significantly less electricity than above 2). Time to wire up the controller today and build another unit on side hehe.

DFI Daishi said:
looking sweet man! nice, clean build with nothing sticking out and everything packed into such a tight space.

now, i've wondered a few times but never asked: where do you people learn to do this stuff? are you simply well motivated geeks, or some form of advanced refrigeration tech/geek hybrid?

have you guys done courses in refrigeration? just read instructions on various web sites? have friends who work with this stuff? combination of the above?

there are a lot of things you can learn here

I love the lian li's with phase!

Question: It looks like both pics of the rear exhaust fan in the MB compartment have a different type of screen than mine. Is this because of the "plus" version of the case or did you do it yourself?

Not because of plus. I know what you are talking about exactly as I've had about 4 diff v series case (other than 5 sitting stock I have here now :p) There was revision change in V series at one point around the time Plus came out.
1) The rivets were removed for bottom bays and replaced by screws so user can take out what isn't needed. (especially those long PSU issues on earlier lian-li V series)
2) Fan grill got changed.
3) There was also minor change on how the side panel mounting was attached to case. Nothing big but difference between rivet and screw again.
I got too busy with building a chiller and another v2000 unit today to work on controller yet. If I finish the controller up today, I will post it up :)

Controller is up and running. Havent had time to plug in the wire for PC connection part nor get the software from author. But here are some pic of it running. It basically controls fan speed, turns compressor on and off, computer on/off, displays temperature(s), etc. Next unit I am building (well unit is built, I need to put inside case and put controller on) will be using LED temperature display unit (cheaper version) that just turns computer on when temperature is within acceptable range.
Proto.2.Froste.JPG

FrosterX.JPG

Sorry for the blurry picture. Night time shooting with flashes on this snap shooter doesn't work to well :p Anxiously waiting for my Canon to arrive hehe.

Very nice bro...I always played with the idea of doing something like this inside a PC70...but funds and time never came close to allowing it. I wish I can become learned enough in refridgeration to build my own single stage unit like this...but alas...keep up the good work though.

How would this unit compare to like single stage chilly1 or LS? I like what I have now but it's not very case-practical.

Wow...you guys make watercoolers like myself looks like child's play...Well, how can I sign up to purchase the whole thing? I am good with instructions...

sativaman84 said:
How would this unit compare to like single stage chilly1 or LS? I like what I have now but it's not very case-practical.

Whole lot colder than vapo LS :) Can you say evap temp of about 10c to 15c colder when running X2 1.71v dual priming? :p Bios temp only reads about 9-12c difference though... bummer :p
Whole lot quieter too.
As for comparing to single stage chilly1 unit, it really depends on what chilly put in there. We make the units very similar ways (well I did learn a lot from him), we tune it for similar kind of capillary tubing length, etc. Only difference comes down to I tune mine a little more toward to heavy load condition and compressor selection really. In fact, he and I've been working together on many things such as trying to acquire some hard to find parts, joint buying parts in quantity, etc :)
As for starting up, save some money or find someone around you so you can use their tools :p Parts cost obviously isn't too unreasonable. But tools start costing bundles to do it properly and legally. First read through various post in Teampuss, Xtremesystems, Xtremeresources for instructions. Gather some idea for components and tools and you can start looking at cost involved. It is very fun... (well single stage is starting to bore me so I am embarking on cascade this holiday season for my enjoyment).
Maybe Shineysword can show you some detailed pic of how single stage unit is built once I am done with his chiller as I took many pictures for his school project. Almost done but usual waiting for part game has hit me for actual tuning and load testing -_-;
Got couple more units made up and once I can figure out better way to package it to ship it out, you will see few on FS here :)

jinu117 said:
Whole lot colder than vapo LS :) Can you say evap temp of about 10c to 15c colder when running X2 1.71v dual priming? :p Bios temp only reads about 9-12c difference though... bummer :p
Whole lot quieter too.
As for comparing to single stage chilly1 unit, it really depends on what chilly put in there. We make the units very similar ways (well I did learn a lot from him), we tune it for similar kind of capillary tubing length, etc. Only difference comes down to I tune mine a little more toward to heavy load condition and compressor selection really. In fact, he and I've been working together on many things such as trying to acquire some hard to find parts, joint buying parts in quantity, etc :)
As for starting up, save some money or find someone around you so you can use their tools :p Parts cost obviously isn't too unreasonable. But tools start costing bundles to do it properly and legally. First read through various post in Teampuss, Xtremesystems, Xtremeresources for instructions. Gather some idea for components and tools and you can start looking at cost involved. It is very fun... (well single stage is starting to bore me so I am embarking on cascade this holiday season for my enjoyment).
Maybe Shineysword can show you some detailed pic of how single stage unit is built once I am done with his chiller as I took many pictures for his school project. Almost done but usual waiting for part game has hit me for actual tuning and load testing -_-;
Got couple more units made up and once I can figure out better way to package it to ship it out, you will see few on FS here :)

Very nice to see how you started and where you're going bro, thx for that. Personally I'd fix up the wiring inside the LiLi and then it'd be one of the nicer setups I've seen, in terms of cooling capability and the fact that the rig is still contained within the factory chasis.

I'm playing with the idea of sticking with air cooling for the challenge, but given the available space inside the PC-6077 I'm tempted to setup a Pelt on the CPU and possibly the video card...for the fun and "wow" factor.

In the end it's very nice to see some higher end cooling being done within factory LiLi cases...I love them to death and the look of something done to this degree is just awsome.

cornelious0_0 said:
I'm playing with the idea of sticking with air cooling for the challenge, but given the available space inside the PC-6077 I'm tempted to setup a Pelt on the CPU and possibly the video card...for the fun and "wow" factor.
aiming to become one of the few and the brave?

just be carefull, and the 80 GPU pelts commonly still sold aren't enough for an x850, probably not enough for current or recent nVidia cards either.

aiming to become one of the few and the brave?

I suppose so, everytime I bring it up I've got friends telling me not to...that they've had to many problems with Pelts in the past...my theory is that something maybe isn't being done properly from the start...dunno though.

just be carefull, and the 80 GPU pelts commonly still sold aren't enough for an x850, probably not enough for current or recent nVidia cards either.

Yeah, that's one thing that I've already noticed...I'm gonna have to do what I can to get ahold of something larger if I go that route...cus if whatever card I end up with does end up being Pelt'd I'm gonna be voltmodding it (a given) and the heat output is going to rise quite significantly.

Back