Phenom II X2 550 Unlocked & Phenom II X4 925 any difference ?

iPearl

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi there,

I have finally got my hands on a decent Motherboard that is able to unlock my 550BE.
It seems to be running Prime95 Blend test Stable for 6hours so far on all 4 cores.
Temps seem to staying at moderate temps.

During this time I managed to acquire a AMD Phenom II X4 925
Looking at the specs they are different core and clock speed wise.

BUT after unlocking the 3 and 4th core of the 550BE now the only difference is Clock speed
OR AM I WRONG ???

And even with that the 550BE is faster than the 925 now ?
I am debating on which one to keep in my Gaming computer and which one to cast of into my Workstation at work.

Let me know your input on this matter.

No, you're not wrong. Difference is pretty much the clock speed and perhaps the voltage necessary to run it at whatever speed.

I suggest you keep your 925 for the workstation, and the unlocked 550BE for the gaming.

Is there a particular reason on your suggestion ?
Also is there any gain with the 550 in the gaming machine ?

Is there a particular reason on your suggestion ?
Also is there any gain with the 550 in the gaming machine ?

Mainly for headache prevention. The 925 is a proven quad-core and stable, and therefore won't give you much trouble.

However, even if 550 X2 unlocked to a X4 passes all stress tests, chances are that it might BSOD or give you strange issues with different programs. I doubt you want that on the workstation -- especially if you're on a time limit.

The 550 X2 -- even at stock speed -- is a terrific processor on its own due to high stock speed and high overclockability. The fact that it unlocks to a quad is a big plus to resource hungry games, like Crysis or Dragon Age.

learn to overlock, and see which one clocks highest. then keep the highest clocker in your gaming rig

Mainly for headache prevention. The 925 is a proven quad-core and stable, and therefore won't give you much trouble.

However, even if 550 X2 unlocked to a X4 passes all stress tests, chances are that it might BSOD or give you strange issues with different programs. I doubt you want that on the workstation -- especially if you're on a time limit.

The 550 X2 -- even at stock speed -- is a terrific processor on its own due to high stock speed and high overclockability. The fact that it unlocks to a quad is a big plus to resource hungry games, like Crysis or Dragon Age.

925 isnt worth it even for the lower power requirements.. op'er stick with a black edition and like 2wiced said learn to overclock its pretty simple with the black edition processors..

Feasible Reasons and Facts backed up with logical reasons. Gotta love good old informative advice.
Thanks for the advice, I will tweak/tune the CPU a bit more and go form there... =D

I have a X2 550BE that unlocks. Great chip. I haven't had any issues with BSOD or anything like that after I worked through the settings. I'd just make sure you run several stability tests on your memory and CPU to check it's stability (OCCT, Prime95, memtest86, etc.). Generally speaking, if it passes those tests, you shouldn't have any problems with it in "real world" applications.

been running Prime95 for 13 hours now...
memtest86 been runing for 6 hours...

Its been stable and I kind of like it o_O

Back